• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice Needed...

Jamie885

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get a few opinions on my current situation. Opinions on how to improve.

Firstly my goals are:
Loose Fat
Gain Muscle

Im not concerned about my weight as i know it has nothing to do with fat.

Current Details:
Weight: 97kg
Height: 180cm
Body Fat%: Aprox 23%

I started off around August/September last year at around 108-109kg 28% bodyfat, was doing basically machines only at the gym with some cardio and I changed my eating habits.

So far so good I'm sitting around the 97kg mark not really going up or down though i have dropped from 38 to 34 in pants.

My diet usually consists of the following...
B/Fast: (2-3) Weet Bix with Skim milk
Mid Morning: Banana
Lunch: Subway (Multigrain, Chicken, Salad, Sweet Chilli Sauce)
Afternoon: Almonds, Protein Shake & Can of Tuna (eaten between 1 and 4pm)
Pre-Workout: Jack3d

After workout is a low carb protein

Dinner: Salad, steak or chicken. Sometimes we have pasta etc just depends.

Drinks: Protein shake in water, water, if i need flavour coke zero & coffee

Thats the typical day, over the weekend its a bit harder due to being 22 and out all the time but I do my best to keep close to that.

Training: Needs alot of work.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Bicept, Shoulders, Tricept
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: Back, Chest, Stomach

All sessions have aprox 20mins or so of cardio sometimes more.

Suppliments:
Jack3d pre workout
Low Carb protein afternoon and after the gym

Your diet is crap, but not as crap as your routine.

Do markos' beginner program. As for diet I cant really help you but needless to say you can make it way less complex.

Have you moved off the machines yet?
if not do it, and get stuck into PTC's beginners workout 3x a week. That will be best for the exercise, the rest will come from your diet - Which needs a bit of work.

Go into the training journals and have a look around. Pay special attention to BigJim, he has had an inspirational change, and it also has some food info every now and again.

Best of luck mate.

- Oli beat me :(

Thanks guys, this is the sort of info that I need. I've gotten myself motivated, I crave the gym now so I just need to get a routine and diet in place and I'll be sweet!

Anyone elses opinion will be appreciated aswell...

Diets not that bad.

Have oats for breakfast. Ditch carbs until after your workout. Rice only. No more bread or pasta if your serious. Do the beginner program ad add 10-15 mins of cardio after the workouts or do a 4th cardio workout day.

wut? Last I checked they were staple human foods for, i dont know, the last 10 000 years...

Yeah well if he wants to loose some fat, he is going to have to do it the hard way. The op is overweight, so "going for a jog" ain't gonna cut it. Rice is so much better for you than pasta and bread too. Keep the carbs for the morning and post workout. Eat lots of meat and veges, do some conditioning.

Cook breakfast, bacon, eggs, tomatos, mushrooms, etc.

Have the tuna in the morning, the banana and protein shake before training, and go easy on the Jack3d, save it for when you really need it, if at all. Probably cut out the almonds while you are trying to lose fat.

After training is also when I'd be having the carbs.

im no diet expert. but 6 days a week training is way too much. listen to the boys and go 3x a week full body on markos beginner or starting strength

Thanks for the input so far. I know the position I am in and I am determine to loose it, every thing you guys say is noted and hopefully I'll be able to workout a training routine and diet that will work.

I can pretty much cut carbs out until dinner.

So should it be something like

B/Fast: Oats
Morning Snack: Tuna
Lunch: ??
Afternoon: Banana Protein Shake
Dinner: Chicken vegies salads etc

Is there something else I can have thats healthy for morning snack as I could prob do like a tuna bean salad for lunch?

As for the training going to try out the PTC beginner workout tomorrow see how I go, I did 40 min cardio session today on the cross trainer and no weights

Include legs in your weight training mate. It will help with your weight loss goals.

Yeah well if he wants to loose some fat, he is going to have to do it the hard way. The op is overweight, so "going for a jog" ain't gonna cut it. Rice is so much better for you than pasta and bread too. Keep the carbs for the morning and post workout. Eat lots of meat and veges, do some conditioning.

Pasta and bread have a similar glycemic index and many micronutrients that rice, fruit and veg simply lack. Not only that but unless you live under a rock like noobs and daniel its pretty hard to avoid something as basic as bread.

The above is a conversation I want to avoid as the OP has enough on his plate training and dietwise, but I dont see a need to exclude bread. What I see a need to do is fix up his first 4 meals however because it isn't really until the afternoon that he has a substantial amount of protein.

B/Fast: Oats + a serving of fruit and a protein source (whey shake)
Morning Snack: Tuna + a serving of fruit
Lunch: Chicken + vegies or salad
Afternoon: walnuts/almonds/peanuts ( they are calorie dense, so don't go overboard )
Dinner: Steak + salad or vegies

That's something very basic, obviously you can switch around the meats as you prefer.
Add other sources of protein like fish if you like. I'm not a fan of processed food on a diet either, so I'd say don't eat, bread, rice, pasta. I would add them in once you can stick to something like this for a while. Develop discipline first.

Thanks guys I'll give it a shot and will post up the results. I'll work something out along the lines of what J3TR33 has suggested with the diet along with the PTC routine ill add in the HIIT and see how we go.

The problem with Pasta's etc is I am and all of my friends are european, I now limit my portions but it's unavoidable being at a friends place and having his mum cook pasta.

Ok so far today I've had.

B/Fast 8:30am - 3 Weetbix & Protein shake
Morn Snack 10:30am - Can of Tuna 95gm, Bannana & Coffee
Lunch 12:30-1ish - Grilled chicken & Salad
Afternoon Snack - 5-10 unsalted cashews
Also had about 5 glasse of water.

I know i was going to cut the weetbix out but I have 3-4 sevings left so I may aswell finish it off.

Im so full I feel sick, should I be cutting down what im eating?

I was going to have another can of tuna around 4-430 but I don't think i can fit it in.

Last edited: