• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

buying a foam roller...

Check Big Jim's journal, several pages back. I hijacked it briefly asking the same thing. Dead Dave gave me some info I recall.

Only issue I have is a shoulder impingement. Why?

Consider using a tennis ball first.

Be careful using rollers, balls and such... Roll over the affected area, don't linger long on the sore spots or place prolonged pressure on the sore area.

What exercise is causing you grief?

Consider using a tennis ball first.

Be careful using rollers, balls and such... Roll over the affected area, don't linger long on the sore spots or place prolonged pressure on the sore area.

What exercise is causing you grief?

When I bring my arms up, not in front of me, but also not to the side, in between (no idea what I'd call it), in particular with a dumbell/weight, just when it's about to go past the 90 degrees it pinches right there. Having my hands over my head doesn't cause the pain, it's usually only in that position or reaching for something.

My upper traps in particular feel stressed out, and also I've had a bit of nagging pain on the front/side of my shoulder.

My physio has given me the following stuff to do:
supermans
turn outs 90/90
reverse flys
stop sign glides
push ups against the wall (focusing on scapula retraction)

I'm so over this shitty condition :(

How do I actually know when I have rounded shoulders? I feel that when I'm sitting in front of the computer my shoulder (right shoulder) is always rolled forward, especially when using the mouse.

It is not uncommon for people to have issues with the movement used described.
Don't do it, it's quite simple.
Don't do any pushing, just pulling for six months, your shoulder is talking to you.

What kind of pull movements should I be focusing on?
Can I do deadlifts or anything like that? Here is a post I found from Dave.
I can not give you anything specific as I do not know your history or where you are at now. But if you have moved on from the physio and are ready for exercising again I can give you some suggestions for your training. Hopefully your physio went through a lot of activation exercises to work on activating the right muscles when performing exercises as well as basic strengthening.

Firstly, you want to start of by working on being able to use your scapula properly. If you do not have good scapula positioning and control all the external rotation exercises will not be of use as your shoulder joint will still be in a poor position (stretching and weakening the external rotators). So you need to work on stretching your major internal rotating muscles and in specific your pec minor and major and anterior deltoid. In conjunction with this you need to strengthen the scapula retractors and depressors which are mainly your rhomboids and lower and mid traps.

You should be looking to be doing 3 times as much back work as pressing. Cut out benching and dips (which I see you can not do) and anything similar. If you have been to physio you should be able to do military press (light weights) for learning scapula control. Basically you are focussing on making sure your scapula moves correctly whilst you perform a MP. You can also do this with lateral raises if you have serious issues with the MP. Your back exercises should include a row (seated, bent over, t bar), a unilateral dumbbell row and prone t's and y's (reverse dumbbell flyes). You can also swap in some band pull-a-parts or face pulls for one of the rowing exercises if you would like. For now that should assist in getting your scapula issues corrected you should be looking at doing that for at least 8 weeks so that your issues are far behind. If you have sufficient scapula strength and control by then you can reduce the pull to press ratio to 2:1 (reducing one row). You can do the external rotation exercises the way Fadi has suggested outside of the gym, just do not over do them so low weight or use therabands and focus on the contraction and utilise higher repetitions for now.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm going to say this as nicely as possible.

You probably have a pinched nerve. You have sore shoulders because of poor posture and weak shoulders.

The best way to fix this is to keep seeing the physio, and strengthen the shoulder. Bench and military press are the best way. Use dumbells if a barbell causes to much grief. I did for about a year, haven't had problems for a while - touch wood. I've sacrificed alot on my bench because of my shoulder, but I'd rather be deadlifting 220kg within the next month and only benching 80kg, then rehabing with my warmup weight.

I bought my foam roller for $15 at shop in the city that sells things mostly for runners, shoes, socks, prams, stop watches. The guy asked me what sort of running I do. I chuckled and told him I won't even run to catch a bus....