• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rapid weight loss

GUNS

Hey guys, I was just looking for some advice to acheive a 10kg weight loss in a 6 week period by losing the least amount of muscle and strength as possible.

Basically over the christmas period, I let things slip a little (had too many interruptions)... didn't train for nearly a month, drank too much and ate too much shitty food (as many of us do) and stacked on 3-4kg's. Before that, I was training hard for a good 6 months and bulked up considerably.

I just want some assistance with my diet to ensure that I eat as clean as possible (what should I be eating and what should I not), how should I tackle my weight training (lighter weight and more reps with shorter intervals between sets??) and how frequently I should do cardio (HIIT).

I know that losing around 500g per week is the ideal way of shredding fat with minimal muscle loss but I am happy to lose a bit of muscle and strength to acheive my goals.

Also, if there are any links or reading material that would benefit me, please post them up.

Thanks in advance.

Rapid weight loss is a recipe for muscle loss (naturally).

Take your time, do it properly.

Reduce caloric intake by 500, then again if not losing at your desired rate.
You will sacrifice muscle.

For you training maybe do things in tri-sets.

So maybe shoulder presses, squats and BOR all with no rest between. You'll get a fair amount of sets done in a short period of time, then you can do HIIT or whatever at the end of the session

Why 10kg?

Training shouldn't change. Do the big exercises, they will give you best bang for buck.
Add some sprints and complexes.

As for diet, limiting carbs and having a good amount of lean proteins and good fats is a good way to limit muscle loss. But in most cases muscle loss is inevitable unless on gear.

Oct last year, I dropped 11kg in 31 days with
- a cyclic ketogenic diet
- compound weights workouts 3x week
- 15 min HIIT sprint sessions 3x a week

Mind you, I trained every workout like it was for SAS selection. I kept track every day of weight and BF% and everything I ate.

Results
- 83kg to 72kg.
- BF over 30% to 25% (by dodgy bathroom scales)
- BMI category Obese to Normal

One month. I was amazed (and very happy!). I also maintained linear progress the whole month with weight training. I'm sure I must have lost some muscle but my BF went down and I got stronger. Novice Effect for sure.

No carbs and calorie deficit sun-thu, start carb load fri, carbs sat. Lots of articles on it online. First few days were tough then my body got used to it.

Worked out very well for me. Maybe I'm special. I'm considering another month of it in Feb (the cyclic ketogenic that is, I have kept up the workouts/HIIT).

Maybe do some research to see if it's worth a try for you.

Wolf Iv read a lot of the information and a few books on Keto diets, specifically CKD.
It seems to work, but people need the discipline to go with it.
A quick question, how where your energy levels with the sprints and the big workouts?

In terms of reduced energy the first week was tough, after that I felt great. Well, Mon/Tue were ok, wed was getting more difficult, thu sprint I had to push myself, fri workout was painful with hardly any energy at all. So I really only noticed reduced energy across the board the first week, after that my body seemed to adjust and I only felt it end of week. After 4/5 days with no carbs workouts are going to hurt a bit, but no pain no gain right? That last workout of the week is supposedly the most important.

In terms of discipline, I found the diet portion much easier to stick to than the 6x a day protein/carb/fat split. I ate the same thing at the same time 5 days a week. Pigged out a bit on saturdays, less when I saw what it was doing to my BF the next day.

Also as I was recording and charting my weight/BF each day the reducing graph was incentive to continue. I could see my body fat falling off and my weights in workouts mostly increasing (fridays were hit and miss!). But again, novice effect, weight was relatively low.

I don't think I could maintain it long term, and I don't think I would see those kind of result second time round (less body fat and lifting heavier). For an occasional month to try and drop some BF I'm sure going to try it again.

Last edited:
Thanks for your informative post. I like reading about results more so than what a book said it will do. A CKD may be something the OP is going to want to try, but if he hasn't dieted previously it may be a little too much.

Oct last year, I dropped 11kg in 31 days with
- a cyclic ketogenic diet
- compound weights workouts 3x week
- 15 min HIIT sprint sessions 3x a week

Mind you, I trained every workout like it was for SAS selection. I kept track every day of weight and BF% and everything I ate.

Results
- 83kg to 72kg.
- BF over 30% to 25% (by dodgy bathroom scales)
- BMI category Obese to Normal

One month. I was amazed (and very happy!). I also maintained linear progress the whole month with weight training. I'm sure I must have lost some muscle but my BF went down and I got stronger. Novice Effect for sure.

No carbs and calorie deficit sun-thu, start carb load fri, carbs sat. Lots of articles on it online. First few days were tough then my body got used to it.

Worked out very well for me. Maybe I'm special. I'm considering another month of it in Feb (the cyclic ketogenic that is, I have kept up the workouts/HIIT).

Maybe do some research to see if it's worth a try for you.

If your bodyfat % calculations and other figures were correct, you 11kg weight loss was made up of:
6.9kg fat loss.
4.1kg muscle loss.

Not sure of how much muscle loss you would get on a slow cut?

Thanks Hulk, is that good or bad? 7kg of fat sounds good but losing 4kg of muscle sounds bad... At 30% BF I wanted to lose some body fat quickly although I didn't want to lose the little muscle I had.

I have checked my records and the actual figures were:

30 Aug 2010 - 82.3kg - 31.2% BF (started on Mon)
01 Oct 2010 - 71.5kg - 26.5% BF (finished on Fri before any carbs)

The scales BF% accuracy is unknown. I did use the same scales each day to try and maintain some consistency.

It did make me feel like dying the first week (some very early bedtimes!) and on workout fridays but looking back it was worth it. It was only 4 weeks.

Sorry for the sidetrack OP, hope it's helpful in some way.

Thanks heaps for the replies.

Why 10kg? I want to lose a bit to counter the added weight that I have recently put on, and I needed to lose 5-10kg anyway. Fact of the matter is, I am just not happy with the way I currently look after all the hard work I have put in. I currently weigh 98kg's, (175cm tall and 28% BF) and would be happy to peg it back to 90kg's over a 6 week period. I know it's not ideal and it's "not doing it properly" but I don't think that it's too extreme where I am going to lose too much muscle. After that, i'll assess where I am at, then slow the process down, then rebuild again. Hope I am making some sense!!

I am more than happy to stick with compounds, but relating to training, what would one normally do when they are cutting? Would you remain doing 1-3 reps lifting heavy (like I was doing previously to gain size), 5x5 or shoot for reps... 8-12 per set with shorter rest period? Wouldn't you want to be more in the 8-12 rep range when cutting to achieve definition? Is there a standard or normal practice?? The plan is to hit the gym 3 times a week, HIIT 3 times a week (sprints primarily with tabata thrown in occasionally) when not lifting and one recovery day.

I'll give an example of what I have been eating over the last few days. Please point me in the right direction if I am heading down the wrong path.

7:00am: 5 whole eggs with a tomato (should I stick to egg whites only?)

9:45am: Banana, 125g tuna with olive oil and handful of raw almonds

12:30pm: 300g tuna with olive oil and salad (lettuce, cherry tomatoes and carrot with light sprinkle of low fat dressing)

3:15pm (before workout) Piece of fruit and almonds

4:45pm: WPI Protein shake

6:30pm: 300g a chicken breast with salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum)

9:15pm: 250g low fat cottage cheese

I have 4 coffees during the day with no sugar but only a dash of milk and I try to get 2 litres of water into me every day.

Sorry about all the questions but am I on the right track? I don't seem to struggle putting on size (so much that my friends occasionally mock me) and I have lost 10kg fast before in a month or two on a lettuce leaf diet and long distance running, but this time I want to manage things better with my weight training and diet.

Cheers guys :)

Last edited:
Im 108ish at the moment trying to lost about 10kg as well and i currently eat shite loads less then what you have posted.

My average day looks like this:

3 eggs
60g wpi in water
200g chicken with veg/salad, yogurt
95g tuna in olive oil
1 Banana (2 on workout days, pre workout)
30g wpi and 5g creatine in water (post workout)
200-250g steak with veg
1 Orange, 2 squares dark chocolate.

Drink between 3-4L per day of water.

Im losing weight with this at about 500g-1kg per week.

I lift heavy 3 times per week with no HIIT or cardio at all really.

Saturdays i will have a cheat day where i allow carbs.

If you want to do it rapidly, buy or download, Lyle Mcdonald's "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook".

Follow the guide exactly. This will give you maximal fat loss with minimum muscle loss.

A 1-2 pound a week loss is optimal.
If your losing 1 kg a week then that's not too bad as long as your not losing
muscle.

Its taken me nearly a year to drop 23kgs (123kgs - 100kgs) and I have been able to maintain it fairly easy - always sitting between 100-103kgs now - still slowly dropping and hopefully be down to 95-97kgs soonish....

I have dropped large amounts of weight fast before but never kept it off...