• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bad posture

barnsey

hey guys
ive got pretty bad posture and was wondering what i can do to help bring my shoulders back??
i try and just have good posture but more often than not slips my mind
any tips would be greatly appreciated
cheers barnsey

A picture would be handy.
Rounded shoulders could be due to any number of things so background history of your job, any sports you play/played, gym history etc etc would be handy

A picture would be handy.
Rounded shoulders could be due to any number of things so background history of your job, any sports you play/played, gym history etc etc would be handy
will post up pic tomorrow
18 done hsc so lots of sitting behind a desk now apprentice plumber
played soccer, nrl, tennis vollyball
been gym for just over a year and a half (was doing shitty bb splits untill a few months ago)
now doing ptc's beginner
tall
thin
and i have lose shoulder joints acording to my chiro lol
basic stats
squat 72.5 3x 10
bench 62.5 3x 8
bent row 50 3x8 struggle
mp 30 3x8
deadlift 115 1x5
sldl 57.5 3x8

Desk job wouldn't help. Did your BB style programs have more chest exercises than upper back?

*edit* And were you doing chins, lat pull downs or pullovers because the Lats are internal rotators of the shoulders which would contribute as well

Just deadlift and row properly.

"Properly" means stuff like "shoulders down and back" at the top of the deadlift rep, etc.

People who do compound exercises properly and are stronger in legs than pulling, and stronger in pulling than pressing, these people will have good posture. Make sure someone is teaching you good form in the basic compound exercises.
Hamburglar said:
And were you doing chins, lat pull downs or pullovers because the Lats are internal rotators of the shoulders which would contribute as well
Sure. But if he does them properly, he also strengthens rhomboids and middle and lower traps, which more than makes up for it. I've yet to see anyone with internally rotated shoulders who does not also have protracted scapulae (rolled forward shoulders). With the twist goes the hunch.

Of course if he does chins and lat pulldowns in the usual way, where they roll their shoulders forward and try to press rather than pull, sure that'll fuck things up. But if these exercises are done properly everything tends to balance itself out fairly quickly.

Last edited:
He says he's doing them.

"Loose shoulder joints" says the chiro. Thanks a lot, mate, everyone has. Otherwise our shoulders would not have the ridiculous range of motion they do. I always respect the advice given by medical professionals. Chiros and naturopaths are not medical professionals :p

Anyway, if the joint is loose, strengthen the muscles around it. Deadlift, row and overhead press will strengthen the muscles around the shoulder joint, there you go.

Kyle's right. I had shit posture throughout all of my younger years. That changed when I could deadlift 200kg.

hey guys
ive got pretty bad posture and was wondering what i can do to help bring my shoulders back??
i try and just have good posture but more often than not slips my mind
any tips would be greatly appreciated
cheers barnsey

Farmers walks as a fininsher...
Pick up two 40kg dumbbells walk until you drop them, turn around, pick them up and walk back

Yeah after pulling some heavy deadlifts your bound to be walking straight, because it will hurt to slump over. :)

This question seems ontopic so ill just post it here.

I have noticed my lower back curves a bit pushing my stomach forward. Would doing SLDL fix this?

If it's just muscular, LMD, conventional deadlifts, deep squats and prone braces, in combination with lower back and hip flexor stretches.

If it's skeletal ask a physio.

Dunno which it is? Ask a physio. Or if there is no pain or hindrance of movement, do the workouts for a bit and see what happens. Any pain or hindrance of movement pop up, see a physio. No pain or hindrance, wait a bit and see if the workouts and stretches do anything.

If it's just muscular, LMD, conventional deadlifts, deep squats and prone braces, in combination with lower back and hip flexor stretches.

If it's skeletal ask a physio.

Dunno which it is? Ask a physio. Or if there is no pain or hindrance of movement, do the workouts for a bit and see what happens. Any pain or hindrance of movement pop up, see a physio. No pain or hindrance, wait a bit and see if the workouts and stretches do anything.

Okay thanks for that! I guess ill see how weak my lower back is this week.

thanks for all the input guys much apprechaited
ive had my form checked my numerous guys in the dead lift, squat lifts not so much on my rows il have to back off the weight a little and really make sure im completing my sets with proper form.
is what i ment about the "lose" shoulders is when i shrug forward they crack and jump when i pull them back they crack and jump all over the place
i noticed when i bench when i pull my shoulders back and set my self my right side feels unevan compared to my left kinda makes a small chicken wing type thing
and as for my traps i personaly feel they are weak all over hopeing deadlifts will bring them up to speed.
thanks for all your tips

Try inverted rows...they'll put some mustard on your upper back, might help your posture.

first pic is me normal
http://

in the second pic i have my shoulders back and chest out i can feel it pulling very tightly in my traps and slightly across my right pec(very slightly)
http://

Last edited:
My advice is unchanged. Just lift with correct form. Make sure someone experienced/qualified shows you what good form is. No, youtube does not count.

If during lifting you feel pain, stop and do something else. Try again another couple of times on other days, if you still feel pain, see a physio.