• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good anatomy books?

DKD

Private Dancer
Can anyone recommend any good anatomy books? Suitable for recreational lifters/athletes etc, not med students.

I've currently got 3 separate injuries and am booked in to see a sports physio. It occurred to me that I need to make self-education of muscles/tendons/joints a higher priority.

Yeah have to agree good book.

anatomy.jpg

I've just started reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Without-Scalpel-Dr-Kilgore/dp/0615390722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295056797&sr=8-1"]Anatomy Without a Scalpel[/ame] by Dr. Lon Kilgore.

So far it's been much more comprehensive than your standard fare. The structure in which concepts and information is delivered is similar to the anatomy courses I took at uni, though in less detail. It's written with trainee's and coaches in mind so it always goes back to a practical application.

I would highly recommend it.

EDIT:

Just had a quick look through Strength Training Anatomy and IMO it's not that great. It has ~15 pages on curls...

There is not much in it that's not easily found online, go to exrx.net if you want to know what muscles are used in a certain exercise. You'll also get an animation and it will tell you the stabilisers as well as the target muscles.

The bits that you can't easily find on-line are about 15 or so pages on pec, biceps, triceps, tears, shoulder injuries, knee instability, disc herniation, and maybe a bit more. These bits were ok but did not go into much detail and whether buying the book just for that is worth it is up to you. (google will yield the same sort of information if you have a specific question about those topics anyway.)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...what are your injuries? What muscle/bone/tendons are effected?

Anatomy books? There's a few good ones I can recommend. Since your after a more, basic & primitive one, not aimed towards med students, that narrows it down a bit.

I've found [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Exercise-Trainers-Inside-Workout/dp/1554073855/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295058310&sr=1-2"]Anatomy of Exercise: A trainer's inside guide to your workout[/ame] is quite good. So is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Biomechanics-Sport-Exercise-Peter-McGinnis/dp/0736051015/ref=pd_sim_b_10"]Biomechanics of sport and exercise.[/ame]

Don't forget, the more you learn the more you earn!!

Thanks for the tips fellas.

PB, I wont know any specifics till I get a scan next week and see the sports physio. But in short, my left shoulder is the worst of my problems....it was painful just doing freestyle swimming on hols recently. My back flares up badly on occasion...took voltarin for a while but that's a bandaid solution. Also have a problem with my left forearm which has prevented me doing bench press for the last 2-3 months or so. Other than that I'm a supreme physical specimen.

I see. I'm sad to hear about all of those issues. The shoulder is a bit of a strange joint. The hip joint is often thought of as a ball & socket type of joint. Think of it like a golf ball in a cup. The ball is very secure, gives a good range of motion. Not great. But good.

The shoulder on the other hand, is also known as a ball and socket joint. To compare it to the hip joint, an analogy would be a golf ball and a small soup bowl. Allows a lot of range of motion. Actually a lot. The downside to this excessive range of motion, being able to take your arms in front of your body, to the side (and it's variations) and quite behind your torso, it's open to a lot of injuries.

It's made up of a lot of muscles. 11 actually (see here for their names). There are three bones that operate as levers. Four of those muscles create your rotator cuff, which is a pretty common injury 'zone'. These muscles are the the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor and the subscapularis.

These are the clavicle (collarbone), the scapula (shoulder blade), and the humerus (upper arm bone). On a bit of a side note, when you hit your funny bone (your elbow usually...it effects your humerus....get it!!)

shoulder_anatomy_muscles02.jpg

Let us know how you go with the physio.

What is the best version of Strength Training Anatomy. I looked on ebay and they only had the 3rd edition?

Paul Check wrote one about anatomy (I think it was relating to postural problems) but I can't find it on the CHEK institute site.

C.H.E.K Institute - Products - Books
There's a book on types of movement patterns etc, and also stretching. Wouldn't go near anything diet related though (they operate under the theory that if your ancestors 1000s of years ago were only eating certain foods, then you should too)