• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Blood work

unt0uchable

Recently got my results from a blood test back (was done to check for infection), and my the Urea concentration was out of the "recommended" range. It was 9.4 mmol/L and the recommended range is 2.5-7.0 mmol/L.

I've done some research (forums/some articles/some journals) and it all boils down to excessive protein intake. At the moment, my daily intake is around 210g, weighing in at 191lbs. This converts to 1.1g/lb, which is very close to what is popularly recommended as "safe"/optimal, which is why i'm bothered. Perhaps my kidneys aren't functioning optimally?

I've decided to drop my protein intake to 180g and make up the calories lost in protein in fat/carbs.

A few questions:

1. Should I worry? How will I fair health wise with a greater Urea blood concentration?
2. Has anybody had the same problem? How big was the deviation from the upper Urea limit?
3. If so, did you make any dietary adjustments? Did they leave you with "normal" Urea levels?

Thanks for any help guys

Last edited:
I had pretty much the same result from my blood test, around the 9 points mark. It can also be caused by dehydration. I would be more inclined to put it down to the infection causing dehydration.

Last edited:
ignore it....but possibly drink more water.

The reference ranges given are based on what 90% of the normal population was tested at...You do not live or eat normally, you are trying to bulk up!

what was your albumin, protein etc result

to test for infection they would do either or both an ESR or a CRP

I would assume you discussed these reults with your docter who was getting paid craploads to ensure you were both informed about your results,, why they were like that, and what could be the cause, and possible solution.

It all comes down to the more you eat the more waste your body will produce, urea is a by product of protein breakdown, by increasing your water intake it will help your kidneys to expell this waste.

Last edited:
Just means you need to drink more water. Back in the day I was feeling pretty crook for a while and it was because of this, I'd like to say it was from too much protein, but it was more likely from too little water :p

nb. i think mine was around 14.

Last edited:
ignore it....but possibly drink more water.

The reference ranges given are based on what 90% of the normal population was tested at...You do not live or eat normally, you are trying to bulk up!

what was your albumin, protein etc result

to test for infection they would do either or both an ESR or a CRP

I would assume you discussed these reults with your docter who was getting paid craploads to ensure you were both informed about your results,, why they were like that, and what could be the cause, and possible solution.
Doctor said they were fine, he didn't pay much attention to the Urea.

Sodium: 139 (135-145)
Potassium: 4.5 (3.6-5.4)
Chloride: 104 (97-110)
Bicarbonate: 27 (21-30)
Anion Gap: 12 (10-20)
Urea: 9.4 (2.5-7)
Creatinine: 90 (40-120)
eGFR: > 90 (read that > 90 indicates normal kidney function)
Urate: 0.36 (0.18-0.42)
Bilirubin: 8 (<20)
AST: 27 (<35)
ALT: 27 (<30)
GGT: 21 (<30)
Alkaline Phosphatase: 101 (50-140)
Protein: 83 (65-85) (read that it elevates due to infection)
Albumin: 48 (38-50).
Globulin: 35 (22-38)
Calcium: 2.56 (2.13-2.63)
Phosphate: 1.32 (0.80-1.40)

Can't find anything about an ESR/CRP

They look fine to me, at work I wouldn't blink at those results..To give you an idea we call the docter if we see a urea result of 40, that is clinically significant, and potentially life threatening, kidneys shutting down etc..

Dont get to caught up looking at stuff online about blood test results, its a guide to a possible reson for stuff, the entire clinical picture needs to be considered.

I have had the same thing a while ago at a medical for a job. The bloke doing it said it would be the high protein intake. I took a break from training due to work and when I had to go for another medical a few months later all was fine again.