• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stickied thread for Aus stores?

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Don't know if the suggestion has been thrown around before, but does anyone else think it'd be a good idea to have a stickied thread for stores? Maybe kinda similar to the gym thread where it's split into states etc

Might save a few unnecessary threads

Ideally we'd have a topic covering each of the following
- Setting up a home gym (just the basics of what you need, plus maybe a couple of links to packages)
- Selecting a barbell, dumbbells, plates etc etc
- Thread for stores eg AK, ABC

*edit*
and maybe even a 'homemade' equipment thread

Last edited:
I could write up a sticky for buying home equipment generally if anyone's interested.

If your up for it , go for it , I'm sure many would find it useful

The gym store , is a good idea , will get around to creating such a thread

I agree, would be a great idea. Also if people know of any local gym equipment makers to add that in.

I'm on it, give me til this evening.

Please don't forget one of these:

besthomegym.jpg

And most of these:

warehouse-of-used-gym-equipment.jpg

I mean, how else are you gonna get these?

big%20biceps.jpg

Demo (10char)

Me in my awesomeness said:
Why should I get a home gym?

There are lots of advantages to a home gym:
(1) People who train at home are less exposed to the techniques of the masses which usually fail for the masses
(2) The time and ease of working out at home leaves no excuse to miss a workout
(3) Over time money saved in gym fees as well as hidden expenses (travel, water bottles, outfits etc) makes training at home a cheaper option.

What do I need to consider when buying a home gym?

- Quality: Many people who invest in home gyms attempt to save money by penny pinching on racks, bars and benches. Whilst this might be cheaper in the short term it won't be come another five years when your bar is bent or in another six months when you're squatting 140kg and your 100kg rack is shaking.
*Rule of thumb: if you wouldn't see it in a commercial gym don't let it be seen in yours. Poor quality equipment won't only limit your progress but also your safety.

- Utility: Most of us will be limited by money and space. For this reason equipment purchased must provide the best 'bang for buck'. Consider a leg press. Whilst a great machine for leg strength and development a commercial leg press will set you back over $2K and take up as much space as a power rack, however, it will only allow you to perform one exercise. Kettlebells on the other hand take up as much space as a ball and there are literally 100s of exercises you can do with them for both strength and conditioning.

What should I get?

This question has come up countless times. The answer is almost always:

(1) A Power rack
A power rack is a steel frame similar to a squat rack. Many have chin up bars and plate storage built into them but their main advantage is that they have spotter pins that allow you to do the major lifts (squatting, benching and deadlifting) safely.

As a general rule the heavier a power rack the more sturdier it is, and 200kg, 160cmx160x220 is the standard configuration of most power racks. I understand for many this will seem expensive and overkill but I BEG you to reconsider. Here's some things to think about:
- Lets say you get to 90 and squat 200. That's almost 300kg of weight coming down on a 100kg rack.
- Smaller racks often don't have plate storage. By the time you buy one ($250) its only around $250 more to have bought a commercial rack in the first place.

Our forum's rack of choice – the Muscle Motion HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

A lighter alternative, the Muscle Motion MMPR Power Rack

Another popular model, the Force USA Commercial Power Rack

Some power racks have an open top. These are known as sumo racks and have the advantage of allowing overhead movements though they are often larger than a traditional power rack. An example of this is the Muscle Motion Commercial Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack.

Squat racks (two adjustable beams that hold a barbell) are also an alternative for those without money and space. Remember however, these usually lack effective spotter pins allowing the lifter to become pinned in certain movements (squats and bench presses). They also lack a chinning attachment which is very useful for upper body strength/size. Examples of these are the Muscle Motion Multi Purpose Squat Rack, Muscle Motion Commercial Adjustable Squat Rack and the Muscle Motion BSSREX Safety Squat Rack (this squat rack has a safety pin feature but comes with a higher price).

Last edited: