• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

MM Commercial setup?

hakea

Hi guys, this is my first time post.

I am looking to make my own home gym. I will be buying this package, 7 Package Deal_ Commercial Power Rack + Bench + Heavy Duty Olympic Bar + 175kg Rubber Olympic plates

I have read a couple posts about the set, just a matter of personalising for my own needs. I would be considered a beginner weightlifter, although been going to the gym for years and slowly built up my skinny frame. I am 23 yrs and now i want to start getting a bit more serious and consistent in my diet, sleep and training.

Just a few questions.

1. The set comes with a flat bench press, I want to save money in the long run, would it be worth upgrading to the incline bench press as an option? Is the one they list as an upgrade any good?
2. Is the dip adjustment any good? and if so, would it take up more space?
3. Would turning upside down the chinup bar and bolting on, effect the functionality of the bar at all. I wont be able to do the wide grip pullups anymore?

4. I am not sure if its essential to get dumbbells or not? I know i can always get them at a later date, but what would you guys recommend?

5. On the business side of things, if i talk to Adrian and mention i am a Ausbb member do we get 10% off package deals???

Thankyou in advance, look forward to hearing your replys.

1. You really need both an incline bench and a flat bench because the two are different sizes. Get the flat bench first - you really don't need an incline bench until your program becomes more advanced.

2. A lot of guys have a dipping attachment and like it but in the long run I cant see it going the distance - it has a 150kg rating, and a lot of guys can dip their bodyweight 50kg+

3. Yes, it would prevent you doing the wide grips. Also, you couldn't do hanging leg raises if you're on the taller side, nor show off by swinging from grip to grip like a monkey wendler style.

4. Leave them for a bit. Dumbbells fall apart and are shit unless you get a fixed set and they cost $$$. They're a great tool, but you can get strong without them.

You don't get the ausbb discount for packages.

I have to disagree with oli. You should get the dip attachment, as I am sure it will be a long time before your doing 3 sets of 10, with a bodyweight of 100 with 50kg strapped on!!!

Dont worry about the incline, if you want to do seated presses (standing is always better anyway) just sit on the end of the flat bench.

My rule of thumb whenever buying equipment - if you don't see it in a commercial gym you won't see it in mine.

My rule of thumb whenever buying equipment - if you don't see it in a commercial gym you won't see it in mine.

I see dip bars at commercial gyms!!

I like doing dips because they don't hurt my shoulder as much. If the op can handle lots of benching, close grip, an over head pressing he will be fine without it.

I see dip bars at commercial gyms!!

I like doing dips because they don't hurt my shoulder as much. If the op can handle lots of benching, close grip, an over head pressing he will be fine without it.

Not that specific dipping attachment though. I want equipment to last as long as I will. I'm almost 100kg now and with a bit of practise I'd say I could get to 50kg on a dipping belt as well.

I wouldn't recommend anything thats not going to go the distance.

I've got that dip attachment and I never use it. It feels flimsy with just body weight plus the handles are way too wide, for me anyway.

hakea....i personally prefer the adjustable bench....you can use i t alot more than your flat bench.

dbells...if you have the cash...buy some....depending what your lifting just buy the ones you use the most....i recommended by in 5 kg increments this will save you alot of money.

in regards to the powerrack...i also dont like the idea of buying a rack and not been able to do wide pull ups but thats not a huge deal really. you still have plenty on diff pull ups that you can do.

The rack itself is great....dipping attachment is not...when i have used the rack at my mates place the dipp attachment dosnt feel strong enough and stable.

Like i said before if you have the money go out and buy it....u can never have too much gym equipment (as long as its good quality ), at the end of the day, people are always looking for gym equipment.

wow, thanks for the prompt replies.

1. i am 187cm tall, so would the incline be alright for me to use as a flat bench also?
2. ill check out the dip bar at the warehouse in caringbah, hopefully there will be one setup i can use and find out how stable it is.
3. the dimensions of the rack say its 220cm... is that including the chinup bar?
4. what dumbbell set would you reccommend to start off on?

1. No. You're not that much taller than me and I find it a pain in the ass. Remember - if your overhead pressing and bench pressing all heads of the pecs and shoulders are adequately dealt with. If you're going to skip one make it the incline bench.

3. Yes. I got out my ruler then and it cuts approx 10cm off the height.

4. A muscle motion pro style set. Failing that I'd sit on ebay and wait til a PT goes bust and sells his dumbbells. This happens all the time, I saw a 2.5-50kg hammerstrength set go for $1K a few weeks back. Dumbbells are a great tool but if your short on cash give them the skip.

I agree with oli....i got brand new 1 - 40kg rubber hex from the paper for $1700 including the dbell racks which were still in the box and are worth $500 each, some rich guy bought them, he was goin through a divorce

always good to just wait n see.....you just gotta be quick

thanks Oliver. Your replies have been most helpful.

I'll take all this into consideration when i go look tomorrow, although I think the shop is closed, or is that just for online orders?

No problem, and I think its closed to til the 10th sorry mate.

Me personally I'd just get that package. If you have any left over money I'd get an incline bench as well, and any money after that a dumbbell set.

thats okay. i will go once it opens again. My gym membership runs out early Feb, so will be ready just in time.

keen to have a crack at PTC beginner program.

Is this the exactly same package, same rack, bench, barbbell and weights?

I can get 15% off, bringing it down to $ 1,661.75

Basically the shop i want to buy the MM commercial from is out of stock for the next 2-3weeks. They said they can free upgrade to the

Commercial Power Rack

which apparently includes dip handles and the new j-hooks.

1. How does this model compare with the MM commercial?

2. I know its a bit bigger and higher which isnt a good thing but does anyone know if you can do deadlifts inside it?

Personally like the simpler design of the MM commercial but hoping to save some dough and still get a setup that will last me a lifetime.

Thank you.

1. Its significantly bigger and taller, but it has the advantage of closer pin spacing and band attachments for if you want to waste your time.

2. I'm not sure. a poster on here named box squat owns one, id ask him.

thanks again Oliver. I'll see what deal they can offer me. Still waiting for Adrian (THE HULK) to get back to me.

Also do you have a weight configuration that you would recommend?
2 x 25kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 15kg, 4 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, 2 x 2.5kg

Is what is on offer atm.

You generally deadlift using 20kgs right? Or are 25kg fine? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Its not a noob question. I'm working on a write up that will handle it.

Basically 25s are your better bet because their width is smaller compared to 20s, thus you can fit more on the bar.

You don't really need 20s imo - 15 + 5 = 20.

So rather than
2 x 25kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 15kg, 4 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, 2 x 2.5kg

I get
4 x 25kg, 2 x 15kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, 2 x 2.5kg