• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bands and Chains

Personally I find that they work best when they add around 20-40kg at the top and are close to deloading at the bottom.
Benching against bend tension or with reverse bands is great- the same with deadlifting- but you'll find with squat and bench lifting against bands can mess with your groove and balance. You'll still need some straight weight.
One way of using them is to run 4 weeks with bands and 4 weeks without.

Cheers. I've squatted against bands before and it felt a little awkward (probably moreso in the eccentric phase than concentric)

Out of curiosity (and cos I want some lol) where did you get the chains from?
Went to Bunnings and they had nothing heavy enough, but I'm tempted to just buy a few different sizes + some joiners and attach them together to make the weight (plus it gives me the option of changing it depending on the exercise, and exerciser).
And leftovers I can just use to hang up my boxing bag

Decent size chain is ridiculously expensive. Try to get some second hand chain that is being thrown out. You can try shipyards, boat clubs, drillers, crane operators or any other business that uses big chain and turns it over. It will be rusty, but much cheaper.

I scammed 70kg+ that work was chucking out and cut it into 5kg lengths (~1.5m) and bought a bunch of 30c aluminum carabiners so I can make loops (I can sling over my shoulders) or join lengths together with.

I de-rusted my chain with rust convertor (phosphoric acid). It's now grey and dusty but not rusty and staining everything. I might try some in HCl and see how it goes or cover it in paint/protector if required.

I don't use it much, but it was cheap steel and I do find uses for it. Mostly just as additional weight.

The missus would love some bands to learn to chin with etc, but I just help her instead. I don't have much interest in trying bands for squatting or anything.

I've been contemplating getting some bands - but I am not sure how to program them into my training

Cheers

Might use Markos' suggestion of getting a couple of lengths from Bunnings and attaching them to make the weight up
Will definitely go to a boat joint (I want some thick rope as well) first though, and obviously hunt around for some scrap

As for the programming - it depends on what exactly your program looks like (as well as goals obviously), but as mentioned earlier a simple way is 4 weeks of band work, 4 weeks of normal weights

Last edited:
I've been contemplating getting some bands - but I am not sure how to program them into my training

I have been using bands in my deadlifting and it has helped immensely with my speed off the floor which is something I had been struggling with but 4 weeks of band work pretty much solved the problem