• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is cardio alone enough?

K

kaleigh

Hello, I'm a female that is in need of losing some weight. I am 5'3 and 63kilorams. I have little muscle tone but a lot of jiggly flab that i am wanting to get rid of . I've started up cardio using an aerobics dvd and am eating a lot healthier.

But then i cam across this article that said doing cardio only will make you even more flabbyht. Is this true? Do i also need to add weights in the program so that I can slim down but also firm up? If so then what is a good cardio to weights ratio

At the moment my total cardio routine is around 3 hours per week.

Thank you for your time!

most people who try to lose weight using a cardio only program find that the weight is very slow to come off. Continue with the aerobic tapes but also do 40 minutes of strenght training and 20 minutes of aerobics. make it challenging, avoid continued even paced aerobics. a HIT routine

I am super similar to what you are describing- except I am only 5 foot 2!

Recently I put on a bit of body fat and my initial response was to up my cardio. It didn't work- I was doing over 7 hours of cardio a week- a combo of HIIT and 45 min sessions with my heart rate over 160bpm, as well as three weights sessions a week. Still- no change!

Then I went back to what worked for me when I needed to lose a lot of weight- hard weights sessions, slow burn cardio sessions (lower heart rate, longer periods of time), and a couple of HIIT sessions a week. There hasn't been a huge change in my weight, but my measurements have changed- a much better gauge of how your body is changing when you are weight training.

And another thing- diet! Look at how many carbs you are eating and what fat and protein you are consuming. Most women go for carb heavy foods, because they are low in kilojoules and don't get enough good fats and protein. Remember- the more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn and the less you will wobble!