• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sleep Problems

DKD

Private Dancer
Anyone else have problems with their sleeping? As we all know sleep is a pretty important part of being healthy in general, but especially in the bb game.

I've been an early riser my whole adult life, usually up before 6, even when I don't have to, like weekends. This is fine, I'm used to it and can function well with at least 5.5 hours sleep. My problem though is that every now and then I wake insanely early and can't get back to sleep. Like today woke up at 3.50am for no good reason and just couldn't fall asleep again.

This happens sometimes once or twice in a week and then might not happen for a few weeks. Usually I'm fine until around lunchtime when I can start feeling my muscles getting sore and tired. Today was really bad though and felt tired all day, from moment I got up.

I Always fall asleep within 5 mintes of hitting the pillow....just wake too early
sometimes. I've googled it in the past and read it's often due to stress. I don't have any stress issues, so don't really know what the hell is going on.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Sleep maintenance insomia

any stress/depression?

Got a clock in your bedroom that you can see? get rid of it or turn it around
Try and not workout too close to bed time
Try a magnesium supplement before bed

i read getting rid of the basics makes a difference, as said, ditch the clock, phone, computer...

Do you snore? could be something there?

lol yeah snoring can be an issue...woken up startled a few times when my wifes pinched my nose, nudged me violently etc

This happens to me every so often , i have narrowed it down to when I am thinking too much,planning getting anxious

it may also be that, when you wake up of a morning, do you get up straight away? You may wake yourself up with your snoring, and then due to force of habit wake up and not want to sleep again?

Are you consuming any caffeine? If so remove caffeine COMPLETELY!

Do you get muscle cramps, palpatations, irregular heart beat sometimes?

Are you shitting yourself in case your late for work which is why you wake up to check the time (this has been happening to me lately as I got a job)

Do you watch tv before bed or are you on the computer close to bed time?

Sleep maintenance insomia

any stress/depression?

Yeah I read that on google while back , definitely maintenance insomnia that I've got.

No stress issues, plenty of stress at work in 09 but the problems went away this year, fairly easy year in that respect..and luckily never suffered from depression.

Clock idea is simple, sounds good, might give it a go.

I can't work out too close to bed time anyway, whenever I've done workouts around 9.30 I usually find myself yawning uncontrollably between sets, obviously not a good indicator of an intense workout.

it may also be that, when you wake up of a morning, do you get up straight away? You may wake yourself up with your snoring, and then due to force of habit wake up and not want to sleep again?

no labz i always lay there hoping I'll get back to sleep, but it doesn't come. After 30-40 mins or so i get sick of it and get up.

Bloody hell, even worse this morning, woke up at 3.31am! Set my alarm for 5.15 so another 1.5 or so hours lost.

I've got a 3 hour drive to Nowra for work this morning...if I don't get enough coffee along the way this could be my last ever post!! :eek::eek::eek:

Atm I seem to be having crazy deep sleep like crazy dreams every night - have no idea why - nothing has changed and I am stressed as normal so I dunno lol

These are good, it's all about relaxation. I used to have terrible sleep patterns, but I learnt how to relax when it's time to sleep, visualize about the new day ahead, feel my self sinking into the bed, getting heavier and sleepier and .... ZzzZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzz

I've taken some GABA before bed recently and you really feel it's affects. You kind of melt into the bed.

I suffer from night terrors and sleep apnea. I used to also suffere sleep paralysis every night. I have not dreamt for year... at least I can't remember any dreams I have. When I was younger I only had nightmares. Sleep is not my strong point. I also wake up really early sometimes like 1am or 2am and cant sleep. I go to bed anytime from 8pm to 11pm.

I tried USPlabs powerFULL, could not believe the awesome sleep i was getting the 1st week of taking it. I was actually looking forward to going to sleep every night.
Then i adapted to it and found it destroys my sex drive

I take it every now and then if i want a deep sleep with lots of vivid dreams

You want crazy dreams? See if you can get your self some 5-HTP+ - we used to be able to get it in QLD and ACT over the counter... it's good for refilling your Seratonin levels ;-)

I usually sleep really well and am out like a light like yourself mate, and get up at 5 am every day. I do occasionally wake early just as you stated, sometimes after I get up for a piss about 3am or so my mind starts racing, then I feel tired and stuffed all day.
I have found the ol zinc and magnesium helps to give me a full nights sleep though which is good, and its cheap.

I suffer from night terrors and sleep apnea. I used to also suffere sleep paralysis every night. I have not dreamt for year... at least I can't remember any dreams I have. When I was younger I only had nightmares. Sleep is not my strong point. I also wake up really early sometimes like 1am or 2am and cant sleep. I go to bed anytime from 8pm to 11pm.

Fix your fucking sleep apnea. Thats probably the cause of hald your problems!

I know bugger all about zinc and magnesium but I'll have to look into it. Dizzle also mentioned magnesium so there might be something there for me. Thanks all for your input.

DKD when ive got an early morning job and i gotta set my alarm.. i stress the fuck out. i wake up every halfhour 3 hours till my alarm goes off

if i get rid of the alarm clock and i have a normal start im fine