• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bikram Yoga

M

mick

Hello Everyone

Just wondering, has anyone tried it? Do you recommend it? I've been looking into it and i'm really interested in trying it out.

I did Bikram 3-4 times a week for 6 months a few years ago.

I enjoyed it at first.... I loved the heat! But I found I got bored after awhile because every single class has the same 16 moves in the same sequence. They are long classes too - 90mins. I have since found a place that offers Power Yoga in the heat which is much better and harder because you are constantly moving and thus, really getting your heart rate up.

So no, it wasn't for me but I am a fairly manic sort of person... I don't do "relaxation" too well!

So a mate of mine went to a class of Bikram Yoga yesterday with a few girls he knows. Anyways he said it was intense (about 1.5hour class).

Here is the Wiki:
"Bikram Yoga sessions run for exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%, and is the most popular form of hot yoga (a series of yoga poses done in a heated room).

Anyone had any experience doing this? I swear this can't bee good for muscle growth or even your general health really.

My mate said he weighed in at 82kg before he entered the room, upon leaving the room he was 80kg flat. I understand it is pretty much all water weight but it's like exercising in a sauna. I'd imagine the stress you put on your heart with the temp/humidity while exercising couldn't be the best idea either.

Anyone tried this before or have any opinions?

I do bikram all the time, I have the lads who weight train doing it too & my boxing coach. It's therapeutic. Fantastic for flexibility & mobility especially. The warm humid air softens tissue & warms the muscle as you work through the poses. It is definitely intense as the poses focus on strength, balance, coordination, engaging & contracting your muscles for the duration of the poses. It makes you very aware of your body, the contraction, the positive movement, the negative movement, the attainment of flexibility, your capacity for mobility. Your strength, stamina & physical capacity for endurance.

Its invigorating & one of the best ways you can soothe your body and keep it pliable & loose before, during & after a workout.

Its fun for me to see these big strong muscular lads, struggle to make & hold the poses. It becomes very competitive for them. And where once they thought it was a dumb 'chick thing' - they soon realise how much physical strength you need to be able to complete the session.

As well as giving you a complete sense of wellbeing.

I've done bikram 4-5 times a week for two years. I started at 160.2kg & there was no chance in hell I could do any of the poses with anywhere near passable form. Now at 69kgs, its all about muscle contraction, balance, posture, personal strength. I know my body & every muscle in it & I'm strong :)

I would recommend bikram, any day of the week. Any form of Hatha yoga is therapeutic for the body.

Any drop in weight is water weight & the body is easily replenished afterwards. Do the high temps create stress for the body? Of course. So does weight training, boxing & cardio. Stress your body, push it, to achieve change. Simple as that.

Like anything, pregnant woman can't do it, those with pulmonary disease can't do it, if you're anemic you can't do it & if your prone to fainting, you can't do it. But then people with any of those conditions can't put any kind of physical stress on the body, or exert themselves in any way.

Try it? You'll love it :) Its a challenge!

Last edited:
Yep

just up to session number 10 in 13 days yesterday.
Signed up for a 30 day challenge. Classes are 90 minutes.

I'm doing it for the mobility and am already seeing improved stretch in the legs and back.

going here Bikram Yoga Brookvale, Manly, Balgowlah & Northern Beaches

It is fairly intense. Its no different to working out in high heat.
Keep your self hydrated and eating well but not for 3 hours before
and no problems.

Its just hatha yoga poses in a heated room.

Most classes are a great perve

Give it a go

make sure to take at least a 500ml water bottle and a decent sized towel.
Just don't have to much water straight before the class or at the beginning as it makes it harder to do some of the poses

I find the hardest poses are the first few including the breathing especially the ones with arms overhead.

If you are going to give it a go.
Do at least 5 classes.

What are your goals Bella and Lex? You guys going just for fat loss? or do you train PTC/Bodybuilding?

Also was reading hot yoga can cause hyper extension of muscles. Have you guys had any problems?

my main goal is to drop the fat and get into decent shape. aiming for 100kg by christmas and 95kg by June(ideal weight is 93-96kg 183cm). Down from 132.5kg Aug 2011.
Other goals - improved mobility (especially hips and shoulders), 200kg deadlift , be able to see my abs again (been to many years).

Do train but mostly kettlebell work at the moment.

Its the same as anything know your limits and don't go crazy.

Note I've only been doing bikram yoga for 10+ days

Yoga exercises constant autonomic neurological system balance, yoga reduce hypertension, yoga improve the mood and the very subjective well being, yoga reduced cholesterol level.....

Has anyone tried it? Do you recommend it? I've been looking into it and i'm really interested in trying it out.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to give it a try. I heard that this yoga can help promote weight loss, enhanced strength, increased flexibility, and improved posture.

I havent done the hot yoga, which ive heard is quite intense, i just do 'normal' yoga. Its been great for my back. You would think being the only guy in a class of twenty would be great, but im the youngest in there by about 100 years. People are falling over doing some of the moves, people falling asleep at the end during shavasana (including me) having to be woken up. Its not as graceful or glamourous as I thought, but we are all beginners and some have ailments like my back so its all cool!

The missus teaches yoga and used to do bikram all the time. She rates it a lot but does say it is fairly different from other practices. Certainly not the usual relaxing form of yoga. I equate it to stretching in a sauna, and can't justify what they charge for it haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The missus teaches yoga and used to do bikram all the time. She rates it a lot but does say it is fairly different from other practices. Certainly not the usual relaxing form of yoga. I equate it to stretching in a sauna, and can't justify what they charge for it haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeh, I've since tried it!! It's mental torture! Especially if your class is last of a long day. The room can be hotter & smellier than the early sessions. Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk