• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My future home gym (maybe...)

little_lifter

I was originally planning to get the Muscle Motion Commercial Package, unfortunately lack of funds has intervened.

FROM GYMDIRECT

I plan to get this 150kg Bumper Package $600
150KG Olympic Bumper Weight Set_Black

The Muscle Motion 600kg bar $170 (optioned with bumpers)
220cm Olympic Barbell_Thrust Bearing_Rated 600kg

FROM LITTLE BLOKE FITNESS

I plan to get this Squat rack $170-180ish (site is down)
Google Image Result for http://www.littleblokefitness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/P1080026.JPG

This is to tie me over till I save enough for the rack

But, I have a bigger problem:
Unless I manage to get a 2nd job (am hunting now, M,W,F), or pick up more shifts (hopefully will find out tomorrow). I can either train at PTC 2x per week or buy this setup and pay it off. I plan on going to PTC until I can get enough shifts or find another job to do both, can anyone think of a better way to do this, as I would like to train more often.

Fuck, you must be strong.

We have 2 of the 600kg bars at PTC, one in a squat rack and one for deadlifts.

Then again, we only use up to 250kg for deads so I cant vouch for it being able to hold more than that.

How the fuck did you bend it big fella?

Lol I wonder too ptc. I've emailed lily a video and still awaiting a reply. I was doing 150kg deads for reps so nothin special at all, considering its rated at 600kg.

It's like some of the bearings are bent and now it doesn't spin true on centre.

To the op, have you considered getting the rubber oly plates instead? Bumpers are expensive!!!

Last edited:
Well it should be okay but might not be ideal. We generally use bumpers.

We have used steel Ivankos on the Gym Direct bar, quite often, never had an issue.

somethings not right.

Bar is bent, it is clearly visible when it rotates, if you think of how a skipping rope rotates that's the best way to describe how the bar rotates now. Have you ever bent a bar at Ptc from dumping in a rack?

Mmm, lily said the bar could be a dud or have been bent before I got it.

Last edited:
Only thing damaged at PTC are a few egos lol

Never damaged a bar, but we dont drop them in racks either as there not covered for abuse

Only one incident, dumped 160kg in a squat, no damage to bar (ABC) or rack.

Yeah that's fair enough. I have the safeties setup for shrugs just to rest the bar on, sometimes the bar might drop from the hands a few inches. Surely the bar should handle that?

Something I just realised the MM coated plates are 43cm diameter standard is 45. So when doing deads or oly lifts your 1cm lower than you should be.

No real big deal tho.

i wouldn't bother buying the squat rack if you want to buy a power rack in the future, just wasting money on it. Just use your gym until you can afford the power rack.

Hmm, I was thinking bumpers because if something happens I would like to be able to dump the bar without worrying about wrecking the floor.

@lozzo The squat rack is only 170ish, and I need a place to be able to set the bar for squats etc. Is there another way I can do this?

All this is under a grand, like half the price of the rack with the 1500lb bar and rubber coated plates.

P.S. Markos, those wooden squat/press stands you had in the old place, how much would they cost to build/have built, as I quite like the look of 'em

Cheers,
Jason

I would personally save your 170 and keep saving towards the commercial rack. For the time being, just power clean then do front squats, power clean then do overhead press, and you got deadlifts and rows, so everything is pretty much covered. Maybe add in some floor presses for now.

OK, what do you guys think of this revised purchase

-157.5kg AK rubber coated weight plate set ($470)
-2x 20kg AK Economy Bumper plates ($180)
-Gymdirect 600kg rated Thrust Bearing Barbell ($217 incl. shipping)

TOTAL AK- $650-10% = $585
TOTAL GD- $217-10% = $196

TOTAL PURCHASE PRICE = $781

P.S. Does anyone know if the Gymdirect 10% discount is on the item before shipping or after, doesn't make much difference, but nice to know :)

Jason