• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exertion Headaches

180sx kid

so a few of the guys who were at stickys huose over the weekedn know I got a exertion headache whislt doing the UDL's.
I had a rest yesterday and trained again tongiht at my mates.. we did heavy squats I was fine then did heavy bench and on my 5th rep bang shapr stabbing pain in my head big time throbbing uncontrollable pain..
So im getting a bit worried now.. Is this somthing I shoudl go to the doctor immediately to rule out any possible rupture and blood getting into my brain ?
Or gvie it a few days complete rest and then have another big session?

Also has anyone had expierience with this and give any advice?

Ya, my head is still aching. I was legitimately worried last night that I wasn't gonna wake up after I went to bed. Yesterday I was in the rescue boat at the surf life saving club and it felt like my head was going to explode when going over waves. Same thing just now when I tried to do some light plyos for ankle rehab.

In for responses.

lol, those damn UDL's :D.

Simo had one for a few days after doing his 48reps. He said it passed after a few days...

Im kinda glad I stopped at 31 now :p.

i use to have them as well, but i found that they stopped after i halted supplementing with creatine.

UDL's for me.

It truly is an amazing excerise when you think about how much it fucks you up with such a small weight (64kg)

If it was a rupture you would already know because you would be in hospital due to a stroke and probably have lost some kind of function. It could be blood pressure related due to high pressure for a protracted period. A lot of people get it as you can tell just from the responses but if you are worried go to a doc tell them all and see if they can do something. They may get you to have some scans or say it's fine.

Mike - just out of interest when was the last time you had a blood test?

..you should get one done every 6months to make sure you're not breaking...

yeah I probably had one 6 months ago... the thing is 40 + reps on UDL is not somthing new to me. I do that sort of thing week in week out with no problems and my cardio sessions usually see me in pretty bad shape ie dizzy , near passing out so i should be use to it.. the only thing I can put it down to is on saturday I was probably already tired and fatigues before doing them..
Im sure mike is in a similar situation as hes a extremely fit and conditioned bloke so puushing himself to that extent wouldnt be somthing new...
Ill give myself till thursday of complete rest then do a session if it comes back then ill go see a doc.

so a few of the guys who were at stickys huose over the weekedn know I got a exertion headache whislt doing the UDL's.
I had a rest yesterday and trained again tongiht at my mates.. we did heavy squats I was fine then did heavy bench and on my 5th rep bang shapr stabbing pain in my head big time throbbing uncontrollable pain..
So im getting a bit worried now.. Is this somthing I shoudl go to the doctor immediately to rule out any possible rupture and blood getting into my brain ?
Or gvie it a few days complete rest and then have another big session?

Also has anyone had expierience with this and give any advice?

Make sure you are breathing correctly.

When I say that I mean don't hold your breath on positive side of the movement.

Also maintain correct posture, as in don't pull your head back, try and keep your backs natural curvature.

Are you doing anything or taking anything that could cause your blood preasure to increase?

Are you doing anything or taking anything that could cause your blood preasure to increase?

Holding your breath under load, considerably adds to blood pressure increase.

Holding the head back and tensing the shoulder also can cause issues.

Quite commen in high rep squatting.

yeah I think you may be right silver back cause when I usually do UDL at home im not going quite as frantic and I dont throw my head and shuolders around as much as when racing against the clock like on saturday.. I also was holding br breath for a number of reps and tesing which I dont usually do.

Hahaha new to these hey?

It's a result of greatly increased blood pressure for an extended period of time - like 20 rep squats or UDL's. Me and Ben get em most weeks - it's how we know we worked hard enough. They do suck.

Unless you're old and at risk of stroke or unless you have a born arterial weakness somewhere in your cervical or cranial arteries then you're not gonna die. And obviously if you have an innate arterial weakness then you're screwed anyway. They're not fun but don't worry.

Silverback holding your breath on the concentric movement is the valsalva maneuver - very valuable for strength. I can't see everyone just giving that up.