• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner Weights

L

little_nikki

Long time reader First time poster , in the past i have been doing aerobic workouts , following the aerobics programs on tv , jogging/walking and decided that maybe it is time that i step it up a bit and bring some weights in on the program
My older brother has a set of weights and a bench out in the garage that he left behind when he moved out, i have been thinking about using them, but not quite sure about the weights I would need as a beginner and what weights to use for each workout like squats, i was going to ask my brother but that would mean having to deal with his girlfriend who i don't get along with , so that brings me here asking my beginner Questions

Can anyone help me out?

Start off with light weight, and aim for a rep range. If you can do that many reps with that weight, then increase it, and do it again. Eventually you'll get to the weight that's right for you.

If you're looking to lose weight, and not gain muscle, then a high rep range, say, 20 - 30 is a good starting point.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Cruxis!

You will be working out forever if you do a heap of light weights at 20-30 reps.

Aim for between 10-15 reps, and do three sets when you first start. Start light. If you find it easy and you are doing the exercise correctly, up the weight. At first it is always a bit of trial and error. And look at exercises that work out more than one part of your body and focus on major muscle groups, such as squats. Combine is some body weight exercises such as push ups and you'll start to notice a difference in your strength pretty soon.

You will not build a heap of muscle lifting weights this way, you will tone and get some definition. Women start to lose bone density and muscle mass from the age of 30, so weight bearing exercise is really important as we age. Plus, thanks to our hormones it's pretty hard for women to get super buff- unless you live on a diet of poached chicken, protein shakes, egg whites and steamed broccoli.

If you are looking to lose weight, getting some muscle is the best way to do it! The more muscle you have, the more energy you burn.

You will also find that adding some weights will help you perform better in your cardio as well.