• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Press Hack Squat Machine

ThePump

Hi Everyone, I am looking at getting a leg press machine, Im thinking to add leg presses at the end of my leg routine. What does everyone think about doing this as I have heard good things about doing squats and leg presses for your leg routine.

I have been looking at the following from Gym direct, what does everyone think of the machine? Any better options for the money?

Leg Press Hack Squat Machine

Unless you're a serious bodybuilder I think a leg press isnt very economical in terms of money and space for one exercise.

I used to always finish with leg press or hack squats back in the 90's.

I notice that Ed Coan also did lots of leg presses.

If you have space and money, it will add variety to your program after squats.

Do you already have a power rack?

I am going to get a new muscle motion power rack also, I currently have a York Rack which has done well but going to upgrade and am thinking of getting a leg press and seated calf raise to add variety to my leg workout.

I would like to try adding heavy leg presses to finish my leg workout also. I'm still undecided if I really need one, if it will really be worthwhile adding leg presses to the end of my routine than I think I can make the room for it.

Last edited:
Get the leg press, strip sets on it will fry your legs, just dont substitute the squats

Yeh I will definately keep squats, Just want to add leg presses at the end of my leg workout as I hear good things about them. I have never done leg presses though...

Any other suggestions on brands etc... is the one I have listed from GymDirect good for the money? I dont know much about leg presses.

The hammer strength leg press is quite a good unit.

Any leverage type leg-press would be the go.

I used to finish my dead-lifts with these.

Would I be better off getting different leg equipment instead of a leg press considering the size, im thinking of a seated calf raise also to add variety.

Last edited:
I think you're wasting space and money. If you're a bodybuilder looking for mass you can already:

- squat
- front squat
- lunge

That will well and truly get you there in terms of quad mass without a machine. Calf raises arnt necessary imo.

I think you're wasting space and money. If you're a bodybuilder looking for mass you can already:

- squat
- front squat
- lunge

That will well and truly get you there in terms of quad mass without a machine. Calf raises arnt necessary imo.

Yeh serious mass is exactly what I am currently aiming for, the three exercises you just listed is exactly what I am currently doing including straight leg deadlifts and standing calf raises. I have a whole day dedicated to just legs to push them as far as possible.

Last edited:
That's fine. Honestly with some stiff legs or RDLs I think your day would be fine. If you want to build a bodybuilder homegym Id just get:

- A power rack
- Olympic barbell set
- A flat bench
- An EZ curl bar
- A set of dumbells (adjustable or fixed to 50kg)
- An incline bench

Thats pretty much everything you can do in a commercial gym anyway, and 95% of useful exercises.