• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What to buy?

Daniel.308

Okay guys...

Well I am sort of sick of the fuck heads at my local gym etc.

Also my Dad has been diagnosed with Diabetes for a while and the plan he has is to turn the garage into a gym...

I am looking for a power rack...

I went in to gym direct to get a quote and the biggest one that I think will fit in the garage is this one;

MMPR Power Rack

Just wondering what your opinions are on this rack and wether it is a quality rack?

Cheers

Buy a good quality 1500lb bar...

I would look at the new Muscle Motion bars (that is what I will get). If you are just doing slow lifts then forget bumpers. Try to fit the commercial rack in it is much better and as Oli loves to point out it has a weight tree on it already.

What is limiting space at the moment in the garage?

Also just steal noobs new shit :D

Noobs you got me :(

Get the package without the bumpers ( think package deal #7?). If you've got any left over pennies get in list of priority:

(1) An ABC powerlifting bar with harsh knurling
(2) More 25s
(3) an ez curl
(4) Rubber standard adjustable dumbells
(5) a commercial incline

Then you have everything useful you'd find in the gym for around $3K.

My opinion on the rack you linked is that it's good. You should have no concerns with it, I don't with mine.

I agree with DKD, i have that power rack as well its good, should have no issues at all. But as noobs/oliver mentioned, the commercial rack would be the go providing you can clear some space. I would of personally got it too, but there simply wasn't enough room.

I doubthe has enough roo mfor one to be comfortable... I think the one he is looking at will be fine..

It also keeps the cost down to get other stuff..

I think bumpers and rubber matts will be good but only say 140kg of bumpers and the rest normal oly plates. As its a typical wog garage, tiled with a kitchen.

Pull up and dip can be mounted on the wall as i believe its brick...

pullup is already on the rack mate.....dipping attachment probably only $80 or so, screw it on to the rack, works a charm.

I've got that rack linked in the OP, it's served me well.

If you've got room and can afford the commercial one get that instead, I use one every week and it's great.

But the rack you linked to is still pretty damn good.

I just don't have any room.. I am ripping the kitchen out to make room for the one I linked let alone the commercial massive one...

I am going to put the weights on the wall as I assume you can dynabolt a weight tree attachments on the wall...

I am thinking of getting;

Rack I posted (with pulley as I can't do chins)
600lb muscle motion bar
160kg bumpers
2 2.5kg plates
2 1.25kg plates
2 5kg plates
Ez curl bar
Commercial flat bench...

Might add a few things later...

In all honesty after using the bumpers compared to standard plates the bumpers look awesome and are a time saver when loading up a bar as their the same size...

I honestly dont think that commercial rack would fit... I think the one I have linked will just fit...

I have a treadmill and other expensive shit I can't leave in my backyard like a 1000 dollar compressor, 4000 dollars worth of rc gear, etc.

Thanks for the replys so far... Keep em coming cheers

I like bumpers they motivate me to train and i feel like a beast.. Plus its better for the floor (dad already freaks about the weight on the roof)

For you with tiles underneath i think its a no brainer along with flooring...

Then just buy extra normal oly plates when u progress...

I just don't have any room.. I am ripping the kitchen out to make room for the one I linked let alone the commercial massive one...

I am going to put the weights on the wall as I assume you can dynabolt a weight tree attachments on the wall...

I am thinking of getting;

Rack I posted (with pulley as I can't do chins)
600lb muscle motion bar
160kg bumpers
2 2.5kg plates
2 1.25kg plates
2 5kg plates
Ez curl bar
Commercial flat bench...

Might add a few things later...

In all honesty after using the bumpers compared to standard plates the bumpers look awesome and are a time saver when loading up a bar as their the same size...

I honestly dont think that commercial rack would fit... I think the one I have linked will just fit...

I have a treadmill and other expensive shit I can't leave in my backyard like a 1000 dollar compressor, 4000 dollars worth of rc gear, etc.

Thanks for the replys so far... Keep em coming cheers

Get a 1500lb test bar. It'll hold for life so for an extra $50 its worth it. I don't like bumpers much because of $$$ and unless you're paying top dollar theyre not that great.

Get this package:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

- Upgrade to a 1500lb test bar
- get 4 x 25s
- get a weights tree
- ask to swap the incline bench for a commercial flat bench
- get an ez curl bar

done.

Get this package:

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

- Upgrade to a 1500lb test bar - Is this bar better than the muscle motion 600kg? Why do you recommend this bar over the muscle motion 600kg rated?
- get 4 x 25s
- get a weights tree
- ask to swap the incline bench for a commercial flat bench
- get an ez curl bar

done.

Thanks for the help so far!