• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Different routine for strength/size?

SKitz

Hey guys, i've recently been talking to a few friends about weight lifting and one of them said wether you want to build size or strengh you have to different types of weight lifting.. is this true?
If so, what works best for what?

Also, how long generally does it take before you notice any differnce in your appearance from lifting?

When someone says something to you and you are not sure how to answer, ask- "why"

Did you ask your friends why?

I did ask but didn't really understnd what he said, and he's a bit of a know it all so i thought i would ask here as it seems like you know what your talking about.

His why would probably not be a very good answer. Are you a beginner, I am assuming yes. Check out the beginners look here thread, take your pick and do what it says.

I used to lift weights back in school, but gave it up after a year or 2.
but due to health reasons i have to take it very easy and be careful with what i do, which is why i am asking so many questions

Okay, for you there will be absoutaly no difference..

Tell us more about yourself and well done for taking charge.

Difference in appearence, its 3-6 months i would think.

Most likely years to achieve what you want

Thanks for the replies.

I'm 22, a proud father of 2( little boy and girl).
Currently unemployed due to being unable to work cause of fybromyalgia. Help out a mate with running his own Pro wrestling business called PWI.

I don't know about different "types" of weights, but there's definately a different rep range that you should be focussing on if your goal is size over strength.

Fadi posted a good thread on muscle fibre types which is a must read for a beginner.

I suppose I should have clarified, is your goal strength or size or both or something altogether different?

Cheers,
Mike

I'll be sure to have a look.
i'd like to work on size and strength but mainly want to tone up. i really want to build my shoulder muscles and pec's
i'd like to be able to walk around the house with no shirt on without being embarrassed

Just ask everyone to piss off then take your shirt off, easier than 20 rep squats if thats all you want

hahahahaha

Still not sure how long it would take as some people are comfortable with low body fat, which can be achieved in 3 months, where are others want decent muscle which may take quite some time.

If you do a decent strength program and put in a consistent effort at the gym and in the kitchen maybe 6 months.

Yes bodybuilders will train different to powerlifters, check out the Dave Tate on Hypertrophy article series on T-Nation for a good explanation, note though the difference only really occurs when you're advanced. If you're not squatting over 200 the difference is mute imo.

And if you want to look 'toned' just lift like a powerlifter but don't eat like a fatass. Easy.

I'm going to suggest that the best way for you to empower yourself is to read as much as you can.

Read what you enjoy and is simple, start with buying the muscle magazines at the news agency.

Experiment and enjoy.
Don't ask questions, find out for yourself.

rofl, thanks guys.
i try not to eat too much anyway.

how often is it best to work out? everyone i know say 3-4 times a week

i've been really lucky with the weights i've been doing, i haven't had much extra pain. But if i try going for long walks or something simlar i pay for it for days.