• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sharp pain where traps meet shoulder

Ben

Last night, on the last rep of the last set when benching, I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my shoulder, where the trap meets the shoulder.

It feels like a joint pain, not muscular, and only hurts when I move.

Ideas?

Don't move?

Dunno mate, I had some pain that the Doc said was in the lower fibres of my trapezius, or basically rhomboid. The problem was muscle inflammation he said and he just gave me Voltaren and it's worked great. If you think there is any chance that it's muscle then that might help, but if you're sure it's a joint problem then basically I have nfi and I've just wasted 20 seconds of your life. A thousand apologies!

My recommendation would be to use the button below.

help-button.jpg

Can you post a picture and circle the spot you say is sore?

I have had and continue to have both rotator cuff and AC joint issues so I hope for you sake it is nothing to do with either of those.

Was not the bench pushing into the muscle was it?

If not it depends on the pain spot, GoPies has a very good idea. Give that a shot. Worse case scenario is a rotator cuff tendon issue or supraspinatus (muscle at top and back of shoulder) issue. Best case is just a little bit of pressure where it should not have been.

The weirdest thing has happened.

The pain at the trap location has disappeared totally, now the shoulder joint itself is painful to move, especially if I tuck my arm into the body.

WTF!

The weirdest thing has happened.

The pain at the trap location has disappeared totally, now the shoulder joint itself is painful to move, especially if I tuck my arm into the body.

WTF!

Go to the physio! Hopefully it is not the AC joint.

You my friend need an assessment. Could be a tear of a rotator cuff muscle or the supraspinatus tendon is injured. Does it hurt doing any other movements? Such as holding your arm at a 90 degree L shape and rotating your shoulder behind you and down?

If I hold my arm in an L shape, it only hurts when I raise the arm. Going behind doesn't hurt at all.

What are the remedies for this, Rest? Stretch? Massage?

You need to go to a physio to assess the injury. If it is bad then you need lots of rest and a good rehab program if it is minor then it is a little rest, a few specific exercises for it added onto your workout and maybe a slight change in technique or your program to stop it occuring again.

All depends on the injury. If it still hurts then get it checked out now.