• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats are the best budget bumpers?

GoPies

Disclaimer : I did a search.... I did!

Hi All,

I know best is relative so Ill try to give the question some context. For a home gym what would be the best budget bumpers to buy. Likely only really to be used for dead lifting. I have seen some lovely bumpers out there but can't bring myself to spend almost $500 per 25kg plate. That just seems a bit excessive to me given its only for a home gym not a commercial gym.

I like the idea of thinner plates so you can fit more on the bar (hehe, not a problem for me yet, but hopefully one day it will be).

What do you guys recommend ?

Im still waiting on ABC to finalise their price for their new budget bumpers.
They wont be as cheap as AusKB or gymdirect, but Im sure the quality will be outstanding.

If you're only doing slow lifts I don't see the point. Bumpers are A LOT of money, an ABC set would be more than what I paid for my entire home gym (and everything is commercial).

Wouldnt recommend unless youre serious thats the direction you wanna go in.

I am with Trofius on the Garage Gym bumpers they look like quality for the price. Still waiting on AusBarbell too so I can compare prices and quality. At 900 for a set though it is not useful onless you like oly lifting (my reason).

You can get a set of 25s or 20s to offset the banging but once you start using more 25s on the bar to make your weight you will still be banging them down.

If you have the money they will be good for your bar and floor but if you dont want to spend much make a platform instead that will absorb the impact.

This maybe a dumb question, well assumption, but I had assumed that bumpers would be good for deadlifting as all the plates are of uniform height. People talk of using a 2" deficit (standing on a board) to increase ROM. But wouldn't that only be relevant if we are all using the same size height plates (If the plates I used are actually 5" shorted than the ones someone else uses, then thats also a deficit etc.)?

I already have rubber matting down, would that be enough to protect the floor (concrete in my gym / rumpus room) ?

Last edited:
GoPies,

I've got to throw this out there, but man you're spending a fortune on gear. Your rack would do well in any commercial establishment but was too tall for your room. Now you're looking at bumper plates. Seriously dude, forget kitting out the home gym with the best of everything and just get lifting. You can't buy your way to bulk god, only time under tonnage will get you that honour and a tonne of boring old standard plates weigh just as much as a tonne of colour coded bumper plates from ABC but they cost a tenth as much.

As to your question of uniform height, all that does is re-inforce my thoughts above. All twenty kilo rubber plates are the same size if bought together in the one brand. You don't need bumper plates to do deadlifts. Bumper plates are for the olympic type lifts where you drop them from a height after snatching or whatever. Who cares if your plates are a fraction smaller than someone elses. You're only competing against yourself. Make your boards 2.5 inches if it makes you feel better.

If your focus is deads, bench and squats then you don't need bumpers. 99% of normal lifters don't need bumpers. They're shiney and look nice but unless you're going to start performing the olympic lifts then they're just overkill.

Get lifting big guy in that magnificent rack of yours and hang on to your coin for now.

Cheers,
Mike

I bought 140kg of bumpers as I doubt I will ever clean more them that.. The rest I have are 25kg standard oly plates..

How many 25kg bumpers fit on an ply bar...

I doubt more then 250kg worth..

Last edited:
Fair enough, thanks for the advice. I'll forget the bumpers idea.

GoPies,
If your focus is deads, bench and squats then you don't need bumpers. 99% of normal lifters don't need bumpers. They're shiney and look nice but unless you're going to start performing the olympic lifts then they're just overkill.

Get lifting big guy in that magnificent rack of yours and hang on to your coin for now.

Cheers,
Mike