• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

upper or lower back pain?

Alpha Moth

Well I just got a new job as a kitchen hand and been standing for 4-5 hours shifts, I'm not used to standing that long and my back is f*cking sore! especially when I bend over a bit, i have to stand up super straight or it hurts a bit. it doesn't feel like a muscle but a dull ache.
sd1m.jpg

Is it upper or lower back pain? I've never had this pain from weights before, just after I've been standing up for that long :/

It is spinal erector pain from being in a contracted but stretched position for too long. You look tall in your videos so if you are over 6 foot expect a lot of back pain from this job. It is a bad idea (30 minute at home does me in). Massages help a little but a proper working environment fixes the real problem. Get out if the job now or find a way to adjust how you work so you don't have to lean as much.

My wife has this chronically from lots of sewing and drawing for her business. It is pretty tough on her erector spinae as they have many super hard tough knots and full spasmed muscles all up her back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm around 181 cm tall..I'll give it 2 weeks to see if I adjust to it at all..just the last few years I don't stand up much due to studying behind a computer so I hope it's just a weakness issue lol.

Well I guess I'll wait a bit then if it doesn't improve I'll investigate further.

There is that issue too. I do not know your normal posture nor exactly what you do at work so it could be that you have really poor posture standing up and may need to work on it. Lots of upper back pulling will help.

You start from the hips and work your way up. Sometimes you have to start from the feet if people have foot issues (flat foot etc). You want decent flexibility in your hamstrings and hip flexors a strong set of glutes and abs, strong rhomboids, mid/lower traps and rotator cuff and strong neck extensors (not overly stretched).

For this you need a proper postural assessment (just a visual look at you in boardies by someone who knows what they are doing) and then you go from there. It is a lot of work and something I can not do properly over the net. But to get you started get flexibility in your hips, keep lifting as you are, add in some good core work (3 sets of barbell rollouts would do at the end of a workout), put in some scapula retractor and depressor work to help pull back and strengthen those shoulders (3 sets at the end of a workout of band pull aparts or reverse dumbbell flyes are fine). Most of all try to use a good posture throughout the day (sitting and standing).

Thank you.

I'm going to see a physio this week because of some issues, so I'll ask him about the posture thing as well.

If you can ask for a postural assessment and ask him to right down any issues you have, then post it up.

Silverback's point is most important though if the work site is poorly designed no amount of exercise can help you.

The work benches are definitely over 900mm. I'll check that out tonight, what does having one foot elevated do? I can put my foot on a bucket if it helps. I can definitely keep my back straight when working.

The bench should be at a height that enables you to stand in an upright relaxed position.

There are ways of managing fatigue, if you are standing for long periods of time, your boss should have the staff on a shift or roster.

Raising one foot slightly takes pressure of the lower back and hip.

As I said you and your boss have a duty of care to yourself and other workers.

Where do you look down at the bench? Do you do lots of repetitive movements? What are the floors like is there an anti-fatigue mat? Do you get to do different jobs often or are you doing the same sort of thing constantly?

I'm a student and I work in a kitchen so all I do usually is wash dishes and cut food. So usually I am looking down at the plates..
I work 2-4 shifts a week with 3-5 hour shifts, I only started 1 week ago and my back was sore after the 1st shift lol, I haven't stood up for that amount of time for a few years..
it was sorer on my first shift the next day, it's not as bad now i think.

Your shifts are not very long which is good, or bad. Add some exercises that are the opposite of what you do. 5 neck extensions some scapula retractions and some depth breathing focussing on good posture every 20-30 minutes should help a little.

back was a bit annoying last night but definitely not as bad as the last times, and this morning I woke up feeling nearly 100%, much better than last times.

felt pretty good today, nearly no pain atm after that 4 hour shift.. pain is less and less each shift. it's a bit sore during the shift but it was always super sore after the shift

i was a chef for quite dome time and i found a few things that help, one flat shoes not runners a nice pair of blundstones or olivers will do, taking a wide stance will help also like almost double shoulder width lowers your body so you dont have to bend as far, and oddly enough going outside every hour and doing some tuck jumps and pushups just to shake it out kinda,