• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is this a good deal?

Pic 3 on the link shows there would be a problem with incline bench press.
Also, don't see the point of the top bar supports, as for squats they are too far away as your feet woulld hit the bottom crossbeam.

Can't overhead press from the rack either, unless seated, and then would be cramped for room.

Removable J-Hooks and safety bars are much more convenient.
J-Hooks placeable on both sides of front posts would be a big advantage too, which this rack doesn't have.

Yeh I was looking at gymdirect and some of the bundles there were around 800$ too..

I want a rack that i can do Squat, bench and OHP also pullups would be nice. I'm not bothered about the tricep pulldown thing this rack has..maybe I'll give it a miss then

I am with Adrian on this it is not worth 800. You could get a similar rack with a bit of a better design and no pulleys with enough weight and a nice bar for a similar price.

If you need to save money you could look for second handers and spend more on weights etc. I purchased a body solid one that will do the job for a while for 120, it has front and rear hook mounts (no J hooks but good enough) with a low/high pulley as well. Just an idea of what you can get cheap if you look around.

What would you say is a realistic budget to kit a garage with a decent rack and around 160kg weights?

$1k is a little dear but i guess i could stretch as my current gym is 100$ a month..

$2K is the cheapest I would go, with $1.5K being the cheapest you really can go.

Home gyms only really make their money if your willing to invest in a proper power rack, olympic weights and a sturdy bench. Let me give you an example of what I mean:

Say you buy a 2x2 rack that weighs 80kg. Now you weigh 80kg, and a year down the track you have a 160kg squat on your back which is pretty heavy so your not going to finish smoothly. How do you think an 80kg rack will cope?

If you put in the money for quality it saves you in the long run. If you have 1000 to spare now and are paying for a gym membership that is 1200 a year figure that in to your costs. Maybe you could afford the 2000 area as it will save you money by next year.

This

That would set you up for now. Later on you could add more weight and a better bar and any other extra stuff. For now you have a good base and enough weight to last you a while.