• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When to add HIIT/tabatha work?

macca

Looking to drop some fat for warmer months with as little impact on strength training as possible.

Will be continuing with my 2 on 1 off compound weights routine. Looking to add in some HIIT and tabatha. Diet is the same, just a little less of the foods.

My question is when would be best? and how much? I am thinking maybe 2 kb tabatha sessions after weights and one sprint session on day off weekly.

Is this enough/too much?

Depends how quick you want to lose fat. You can lose fat faster by adding more but then you lose muscle and obviously strength. If you are patient adding in 1-2 sessions a week should help. You can add it whenever you want. If you are low on time post workout would be good, or at another time of the day for an extra metabolism boost if you have lots of time.

If you do not want to sacrifice strength you could always just lift and adjust your diet accordingly and be patient. Shrek and Morgan have done just that and have gotten good results, talk to them about it. It does take more patience though and discipline, lots of discipline.

Do you want the extra conditioning that comes with HIIT?

Iv'e successfully dropped weight before, but have always lost more muscle than iv'e wanted. Looking for the conditioning and fat loss benefits of the extra conditioning, while having as little effect on other training as possible. I have added 2 tabatha sessions, before my pw meal each week, so far no noticable effect on weight or training (only started 2 weeks ago).
May add a kb complex on one of my day's off, see if this affects my session the next day.

You can add in complexes post workout or add in sprints. Or do two sessions of conditioning per week which will be enough to increase your conditioning and burn some extra calories during and post workout.

If you add in heavy hard conditioning your body will want to lose less muscle as you are lifting heavy, the lighter you go the less muscle it needs.

Ok, i might scrap the sprints idea and just stick to tabatha's and a complex with the kb's. Has worked well in the past, hopefully it won't mess with my recovery at all... trial and error i guess.