• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Please advice on proposed buy (gymdirect):

Jamie Madrox

Hi Guys,

Been looking though and through these threads and I think i have my equip purchase planned out but id like to get it the all clear from the pros here.

MMPR Power Rack with dip attachment MMPR Power Rack

Muscle Motion Lat Pull down Lower Pulley Muscle Motion Lat Pull down Lower Pulley (TR120)

7ft Barbell 220cm Olympic Barbell (1500lbs)

115KG Olympic Barbell set (Rubber) 115KG Olympic Barbell set (Rubber)

I already have a flat fixed bench so also a fixed incline one but they don't seem to have any.

and some dumbbells and bars.

Main question is is it better to get the separate lat pull down or is the integrated one in the power rack ok (the separate one jsut look smore solid).

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Yes the separate one does look more solid, but you dont really need either to be honest. You can do pull ups in the power rack which is a much better exercise than the lat pull down

Skip the lat pull, dumbells and and dipping attachment. Yes they are awesome exercises, but you're better off putting that money to a heavy duty rack or more plates.

Consider getting the commercial rack package. For the money youd have to spend on a weights tree and extra plates (115kg is going to last you no more than a few weeks) you could basically buy the commercial one, which will either happen now or 5 years down the track.

Before I'm whinged at about people 'needing to' do incline benches heres a list of programs you can do with just a power rack, barbell set and flat bench:
- Starting Strength
- Markos' Beginner Program
- 5x5
- 3x3
- PPP
- sheiko
- smolov
- 5/3/1

So that leaves you with most productive programs not including westside.

Last edited:
Consider getting the commercial rack package.

What Oliver04 says is right, I was thinking of buying the regular power rack, but he turned me onto the Commercial package, for the $600-$650 extra over a regular package you get a better quality product. I hear Markos has it at PTC and loves it, and if its good enough for those guys it will definitely take anything the rest of us can throw at it!!

Quick question while I'm posting,
Would it be better to get a bushing Barbell like this,

gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell-(1500lbs)/288.htm

Or a bearing barbell like this,

gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell_Thrust-Bearing_Rated-600kg/663.htm

I plan to use the barbell for normal lifts like Squat, Deadlift etc. But also for Olympic lifts (after I learn technique). Would this particular bearing barbell offer any advantages over the regular bushing barbell, or would I be better off leaving the package alone. (Power Rack Deal 7 $1895, after I save up enough)

What Oliver04 says is right, I was thinking of buying the regular power rack, but he turned me onto the Commercial package, for the $600-$650 extra over a regular package you get a better quality product. I hear Markos has it at PTC and loves it, and if its good enough for those guys it will definitely take anything the rest of us can throw at it!!

Quick question while I'm posting,
Would it be better to get a bushing Barbell like this,

gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell-(1500lbs)/288.htm

Or a bearing barbell like this,

gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell_Thrust-Bearing_Rated-600kg/663.htm

I plan to use the barbell for normal lifts like Squat, Deadlift etc. But also for Olympic lifts (after I learn technique). Would this particular bearing barbell offer any advantages over the regular bushing barbell, or would I be better off leaving the package alone. (Power Rack Deal 7 $1895, after I save up enough)

Cheers man.

The whole bearing thing is adrian's idea, most bars (power or whip) alike use brush bearings. I'd just go with the package deal, its better value or if youre worried consider asking adrian if you can swap the regular bar for the ball bearing one instead.

No probs mate.

It might be better to get the bushing barbell though, but my main concern was that it might not have enough rotation for the Olympic lifts, as I have read somewhere that if the bar does not rotate well, it can put extra strain on the wrists. The difference in the price of the two bars is only like $20-$30 so maybe it would be better to go with the bearings if just for peace of mind. However, I have heard that the bearing bars can become whippy when used for basic lifts like the squat and deadlift, have you had any experience with this? Help is much appreciated

Little,

Its the type of bar you get that determines whip and both bars you're looking at aren't the whippy kind.

I own a power bar from ABC. It doesnt have ball bearings but I think it would spin adequately enough for cleans. Markos would obviously agree as theyre what he uses.

Just ring adrian when you order the package and tell him you want the other bar. no worries.

What Oli has said is spot on.

What is your budget?

As it usually is!

I am saving up at the moment, but not looking to spend more than $2200 initially, because of the time it takes to save, then buy gear like kettlebells, power ropes, bumpers etc. over time. I just want to make sure the $2200 or so I will spend will be the best possible use of my money, as I might not get another chance anytime soon to replace the bar.

Cheers,
Lifter

Bush is fine for cleans

We've had guys clean 120kg with them

Ring Adrian he will look after you

We've had guys clean 120kg with them

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that so I thought
It's better to be safe than sorry. I won't clean anywhere near that for a long time anyways.

As soon as I save up enough money, Adrian will be the first person I call!!

As it usually is!

I am saving up at the moment, but not looking to spend more than $2200 initially, because of the time it takes to save, then buy gear like kettlebells, power ropes, bumpers etc. over time. I just want to make sure the $2200 or so I will spend will be the best possible use of my money, as I might not get another chance anytime soon to replace the bar.

Cheers,
Lifter

I just got back form there today.

They have a payment plan if you want to get stuff but cant afford it with no interest...

Might be something for you. It works out for me to cost no more then my fmaily was paying for fitness first memberships.. Score!

I just got back form there today.

They have a payment plan if you want to get stuff but cant afford it with no interest...

How does the payment plan work? because everytime I click the link the page shows up blank. Is it the Flexirent one, I read their terms and conditions and I don't really like the fact that they own the gear, and their end of term options don't seem that great, I mean you can re-buy your gear, pay extra to extend the contract or give it back. I think its less of a hassle to just save up and buy it. I mean it may take longer but YOU own the product.

Does anyone else have any experience with these payment plans, over a long period of time.

It works out for me to cost no more then my fmaily was paying for fitness first memberships.. Score!

Bargain Mate!!!

I doubt you don't own the gear.

If so Adrian would get Alot of unhappy people trying to Torch his warehouse...

He is a good bloke and I doubt he would venture in with a company that would be that dodgy.

Give him a call and speak to him or one of the girls there and they will help you out.

Hi Little lifter,

The finance is not through Flexirent.
It's with Certegy Ezipay.

Once you pay a deposit, you are free to take the goods any you own them.
We then get paid in full from the finance company, less a fee we have to pay which covers their risk and interest.
You then pay fortnightly repayments to the finance company, through direct debit from your bank account or credit card.

So simply, once you pay your deposit and take the goods, all future payment dealings are with the finance company.
You can even pay out early, but no reason to as it's interest free.

Still, I prefer to buy the goods outright.
It may take longer in the scheme of things, but there is no messing about
no owing things to anyone.

Also, to enter into the contract you have to be at least 18, so my dad would
have to enter it for me. It's a lot of hassle, to save a month or two.

Is it possible to do Ezipay for internet orders? I live on the Gold Coast, so cant exactly come in to fill in paperwork.