• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice Wanted

dandexter

The last week my left trap has been really cramped (sharp stabbing nerve pain) whenever I do benchpress/incline. However afterwards when I then do military press (which I believe uses the traps more then benchpress) it feels fine, I don't understand how. Should I take some time off all upper body lifts for it to get better? Or would it be fine to do just military press since it doesn't seem to cause any problems?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum section so sorry if its not.

Thanks

Where exactly is the pain?

Is it through the whole bench press or during a certain part?

For now I would switch out the exercise causing pain and use MP if it does not cause pain.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does the muscle actually cramp or is there just a shooting/stabbing pain?
Posted via Mobile Device

What Dave said - and give yourself a good stretch, and give it some rest. That's unusual what you're describing.

It doesn't really cramp much, I probably should have chosen a different word sorry. But yes there is a strong shooting/stabbing pain running through it. I'v tried stretching and stuff when it happens but that doesn't seem to help. I'm going to take this week off training seeing as my left hamstring has also started to hurt a bit where I tore it a few months back.

Sounds like an impinged nerve. Either due muscular contraction (doubt it) or setup. Try a different bench set up and see how it feels. Since your traps are a large muscle can you be more specific. Is it hurting from shoulder to neck or from shoulder to down the back? I am thinking you mean shoulder to neck but I would just like to be certain.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will try a different bench when my new one arrives sometimes this week I hope. Also it is hurting from the shoulder to the neck.

How should I go about fixing it if it is an impinged nerve?

If it is just due to setup then just changing your setup will help. If it is a muscular issue then some deep tissue work, stretching and making sure your shoulder posture is correct should fix it. You would have to do some postural corrective exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, hopefully it is just my setup. I just measured my bench and its only 24cm wide, doesn't seem near wide enough imo.

See what happens. If changing around does not fix it then go see a physio for a full assessment. The reason I do not think it is muscular is because it never happens any other time besides you lying on the bench. The nerve for the traps comes directly from spine so it should not be impinged otherwise. It could be radiating pain from your supraspinatus but I would expect that pain to occur during the MP too. If it is that then you would need the corrective exercise and massage and stretching around the shoulder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if it means much, but I got my dumbells and did dumbell press on the floor and my shoulder felt fine the whole time, no problems at all. However I can't lower them down to my chest, but even on normal bench it hurts my shoulder no matter how low I go. Also did some mp press with them too, no problems either.

hurts my shoulder
or hurts in your traps? Just making sure it is not a shoulder issue.

Sounds better though, floor presses do not give you full range of motion but the fact there is no pain when there is usually always pain is better.

Yes I meant my trap, the pain defiantly isn't in my shoulder joint. The pain starts at my neck where it joins onto the top of my left trap and runs down the trap (along the top part) towards the shoulder joint (but stops before it gets there). I played around a bit with military press again this afternoon to see if it hurt, was fine.

My main question of this thread I guess is, is it safe/good idea to train my military press?

Thanks for your help.