• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How do you cope with living in a sexist society?

kindred

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAg2jBUMc-8&feature=fvw]YouTube - The Case Against Feminism[/ame]

She's right. How do you cope? I drink alot.

I couldnt watch that vid, i tune out after 10 seconds and can only think about pounding her. good to see some girls are waking up though. Anyway..

Kindred your mentaly digging yourself into the ground mate

Youve just posted in the Rant thread you got low T. I could of told you that by reading your posts in this section.
You need to stop caring about women and get on with improving your life. Get your squat and deadlift up, keep grinding away at it. Keep eating as healthy as you can
On leg day go to the gym with the mentality that you are going to boost your Test. Smash yourself with the squats then eat like a king on steroids.

Who gives a shit about feminist women? They'll get to age 40 and realize they were conned. In the meantime pump and dump them, then settle down with a nice feminine one. A woman should only be about 30% of your happiness, till then work on improving yourself, your body, your job/career, your hobbies ect.

Of course it's a sexist society, goes both ways.

I cope by taking a teaspoon of cement each morning in my coffee. You can't be all, "oh noes, men should be tough and in charge, women should be weak and do as they're told," and then start crying like a little girl just because it's not as you want it to be.

You want men to be men, and women to be women? Rightyo then: real men don't post on internet forums about how mean and nasty women are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y]YouTube - Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the **** Up[/ame]

Part of men manning up is learning to handle women being their boss from time to time, or women demanding equal pay, or even women wanting to not have acid splashed on their face for insulting their husband, as happens in our glorious ally Pakistan.

Women did grow a thicker skin. They used that thicker skin to go on protests and demand their rights as human beings - and they got them.

Human progress does not come about from being wet and woolly about things. The Suffragettes didn't ask nicely for their human rights. The blacks in Australia or the US didn't offer a hug and a pat on the back to their oppressors. They marched and blocked traffic.

Sure, individuals can't do much. But there is no social without the individual. The personal is political. Nothing good comes from people - men, women, black, white, straight, gay, whatever - sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. You don't like the world or your life? Get off your arse and change it.

And no, joining a Facebook group or posting on an internet forum is not an effective means of social change.

What really annoys me is how feminist and post colonial movements have invaded the academic world. After 12 years doing touchy feely crap at high school you'd think we'd be looking at some of the classics such as Coleridge, Frost and Keats. No. This was the subject list from english that I had to choose from this semester:

- Women's literature in the C18th
- Aboriginal literature: listen up!
- Children's literature

I rocked up to the latter for a few lessons. We were told we would be looking at the books through post-colonial and feminist lenses. We were forbidden from talking about sexual themes because it made our lecturer feel uncomfortable.

However, I think there is a big difference between masculine gender prejudices and expectations as experience by men and the oppression of women. The two are not equal and can't be treated in the same context.

How are women oppressed in Australia? Pay? Largely a negotiation. If you are worth more, you need to both prove it and ask for it - if you don't get it take your services elsewhere. Same education opportunities, same employment opportunities (even the whole 'females are encouraged to apply! thing), female only gyms but no male only gyms allowed, that would be discrimination can't have that.

Men do not simply have gender prejudices and expectations, either - family and divorce court, 'cry wolf' rape cases etc, paternal leave is laughable. It isn't a perfect system, but I don't think it will ever be.

Now I do have a willy so I can't claim to have no bias, but I'm interested as to how women are oppressed in Australia.

Now I do have a willy so I can't claim to have no bias, but I'm interested as to how women are oppressed in Australia.

They're not - if a woman wants to feel true oppression - they should live in Iran. It's terrible.

Always listen to Eddie:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SniOXFhwIZ8[/ame]

Last edited:
This is a fantasy. Whilst in some professional occupations, productivity has a bearing on how much you are paid, for the vast majority of workers asking your boss for a pay rise and them reciprocating isn't how things work. Your answer, go work somewhere else if you aren't satisfied. Pray tell, where? Do you realise that the employment options for women are much narrower for those than men. Having a uterus and the ability to fall pregnant makes you a liability. The reality is women are still overwhelming employed on a part-time and casual basis in low-paying, domestic industries. 'Taking your services elsewhere' is even less of a possibility for those without the education or experience necessary. This is precisely the 'blame the victim' mentality I mentioned above.

In all the low skill (labour, production, service) work I have undertaken, pay has been the same regardless of age, sex or gender. I mention this as you seem to only be talking about low skill labour. If you are involved in a skilled area or profession, then yes - your pay is dependent on your skills and how well you market them. If your skills are WORTH the money you are asking, when a tight-arse boss says 'go work somewhere else' you... go work somewhere else (for what you are WORTH).

The fact that women choose not to go into whatever profession is seen as male dominated is their choice. If no women take up career x it is no coincidence that it remains male dominated.

Having a uterus isn't an issue, 9 months+ out of your role probably is. As it would be for a male. That is a personal decision but unless you walk into the interview 2 months along, I don't see how it is a factor.

Anecdotally - my aunt worked at the RTA, got another job and fell pregnant at roughly the same time. Despite all this she was told she would be welcomed back with open arms should she ever want to return. If you are WORTH it, you won't meet this supposed resistance.

True, but not necessarily. Female students don't have the same opportunities to persue technical subjects such as wood work and metal work in school and TAFE due to lack of resources, familial obligations, social stigma among other factors.

What lack of resources? If a co-ed school has wood/metal work for boys then obviously they have it for women. I don't see the social stigma argument. 'Tomboys' are not a new or negative thing. Familial obligations must be a joke. Please tell me you are joking.

Regardless of the formal equality women have in seeking education, the reality is women are under-represented in technical education: they are under-represented in science, mathematics and industrial arts subjects in high schools; under-represented in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, automotive maintance, etc. and over-represented in out-of-house domestic occupations such as hairdressing and midwifery at TAFE and other technical educational institutions; under-represented in engineering, mathematics and the natural sciences, and over-represented once again in out-of-home domestic occupations including education (particularly earl-childhood education) and nursing.

'Opportunities' are one thing, reality is another.

Yes, the reality is that women obviously have little interest in these fields - else they would make use of the exact same educational opportunities. I have yet to meet a girl or woman who has wistfully sighed and told me 'I wish I was a plumber'. The amount I have met who has mentioned they wanted to be a makeup artist/beautician? Heaps.

Which exist precisely because of discomfort and indimidation many women feel in weight rooms which have traditionally (and continue to be) dominated by men. In fact this point prooves what I'm saying, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Do they feel uncomfortable and intimidated at the shops? The bank? The grocery store? The newsagent? At work with all those MEN?

Every gym I've been to has had men and women coexisting. Maybe they fight over cardio machines I don't know I don't venture into that area, but in the weights area everything is peaches.

Actually, you're right. It is discrimination. What you fail to understand is that the problem isn't discrimination in the abstract. The problem is with the specific form that it takes, namely the oppression of and sstystematic discrimination again women.

Which, in my opinion, you have yet to demonstrate exists.

On the specific point of 'cry wolf' rape cases, whenever this is brought up I feel the need to point out very strongly that these are an infantesimally small minority of rape cases and the amount of attention they often get in these sort of discussions belittles the very deep and life altering significance rape has for many women.

So the deep and life altering experience of being labelled a rapist (which is what happens to these individuals, even if the case is thrown out) doesn't matter?

Only in Victoria do women have the right for abortion on demand regardless of circumstance and even then only up until 24 weeks. Across the rest of the country the a woman's right to make decisions about her own body is restricted (the exceptions being in the case of rape, mental illness, risks to the life of the mother, and even then these exceptions do not apply in all states!). Women seeking abortion are not only treated like criminals, in numerous cases they have actually been convicted!

If you can source this I do indeed find it retarded.

Linked in with this point is the continued prevelance of physical and sexual abuse suffered by women and the barriers and difficulties in seeking help.

Yet when a man is abused by a woman (which happens ALL the time - at this point it is basically given the ok by society) it is fine.

Despite the formal equality women possess in written law, reality does not conform. Women are still the second sex in our society. The people who deny that we live in a sexist society are either ignorant fools or mysognist pigs.

I think the reality is closer to equality than you have portrayed with your post. Removing the arguments with no actual basis (Familial obligations? Stigma?) leaves a much more positive, although not perfect, picture.

I would like to quickly state that I do appreciate the detailed response you gave, and I hope this doesn't come off as a hostile reply. I would also like to highlight that I don't believe domestic/sexual abuse are light issues - I did gloss over them but only due to the discussion at hand.

Nic your arguments are epic lame:

1) most women are excluded from high paying jobs because they often entail longer hours. Longer hours = less family time, which is the same deal for men.

2) You're ignoring statistics about women being the majority of students who stay on for senior and tertiary education and making up the bulk of areas such as law, finance and business (I am one of 6 boys in a law course of 120).

3) I've seen the statistics regarding 'cry wolf' rape cases. They ignore pre trial measures and vulgate rumour.

We now live in a society that encourages women whilst simultaneously placing few expectations on them. There are big scholarships, significant amounts of education and media focusing on their rights, they receive all the perks of the old world whilst reaching out with the other hand for the advantages of the new.

I propose Sulla style social reform.

Last edited:
To be honest with you, I regret being dragged into a discussion on this point. What you are saying here is perfectly legitimate. I think access to education really doesn't get to the heart of the issue.

Nic.

Lol, you're cool mate.

Don't get me wrong, Im sure theres a lot of archaic relics of chauvinism and epic bogans out there who are totally incapable of viewing anyone with tits as an equal, but increasingly theyre a minority.

A lot of the issues youve discussed relating to career, social and familial expectations are related to social conditioning, in which women are their own worst enemy.

Right, because how dare anyone demand better when there are people who have it worse!? How about we lower everyone to the level of that suffered by the most vulnerable and suffering people in the world!? Then they can have the right to complain!

Really? Is this you're argument? Are you even thinking before you type this shit up?

Nic.

Psst.. you'll notice I was being facetious ;)

However, I do think as Kyle mentioned the pendulum swings both ways. Ask my uncle how well he faired with divorce & custody et. al. He was fingered for a whole 20 years. She cried wolf (he abused me, the kids, bad father - all of which wasn't true) - she took the kids, house, and he paid child support for 3 kids without ever seeing them again. They know their father now as the 'arsehole who left us'. This case isn't limited to him. He still bleeds over it to this day.

When it comes to certain laws, women have it fantastic. Of course women should be allowed to lead a life of equality, as should men. The reality is, it isn't for either party, and it's sad.

Last edited: