• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DOMS or shot nerves?

I feel knackered after my last workout 2 days ago. I've been sleeping or lying down most of the time since. My muscles themselves don't feel sore like I normally get with DOMS but I've got no other explanation. Sort of feels like the start of the flu but I have no other symptoms.

I've been eating okay and taking caffeine tablets (as I normally have to with UC). I also take 15mg Prednisone, 9 tablets of Colazide and a multivitamin.

It just doesn't feel like my muscles hurt or are particularly sore but that my nerves are shot. I did my usual workout but really pushed for small rests between sets (about 30 secs whereas normally 30 - 120 sec). I didn't push that hard on the actual weight.

I've just started taking BCAA's before and after workout and ZMA before bed.

I've been lifting again for 3 months about twice a week, full body. About 90 min to 2 hr a session including warmup and down (about 30 min total) [I know the whole workout is likely overdoing it but I love going past the wall...] I wonder if maybe I've been pushing myself too hard the whole time. I've got to go away in a bit over a week so I'll be missing a couple of workouts then.

Last edited:
Id say adrenaline burnout

Caffeine pills would make it worse

I get what you describe after very heavy intense sessions but usually dissapears after a good nights sleep and some food

Id say adrenaline burnout

Caffeine pills would make it worse

I get what you describe after very heavy intense sessions but usually dissapears after a good nights sleep and some food

I do get a euphoric side effect with the prednisone sometimes (though it was more pronounced at 25 - 50 mg). Its a nice feeling and about the only good thing it does (other than manage the UC symptoms). Coupled with the caffeine I think it might be adding to that. I did notice it happened a little during the last workout and it hadn't really happened for the few weeks before (though I had attempted to taper down to no prednisone during that time w/o success).

CNS burnout, someone needs a rest.

I was afraid of that. Damn. Should I do these next 2 workouts before I take a week or so off (since I have to then anyway)? Otherwise it'll end up being about 2 weeks. Then about 3 weeks after all that I have to have another 2 weeks off for a holiday anyway (though am considering finding a gym there...) Lifting is a bit of an addiction.

If you have a long lay off ahead and feel up to it then you can go for it.

I'm not lifting again until Saturday so I'll give it a crack. I'm feeling some improvement. Reckon the week off will do me some good though. Think I will find a gym on the holidays later next month because I think missing a couple of weeks every few months is the most I should. Good to know I'm not imagining that the nerve thing is possible... I've had shingles which left me with a similar feeling as far as nerves go (I know its not that this time).

It is the soreness you get after a work out (usually one you are not accustomed to). DOMS stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness as it normally takes about 12-24 hours for it to kick in.

And it means you've worked hard :). Not really, but a good nights sleep should fix some cns problems. I sleep like crazy. I know that.

And it means you've worked hard :). Not really, but a good nights sleep should fix some cns problems. I sleep like crazy. I know that.

I slept that night, then most of the next day and night. Now its the next day after all that and I'm still wrecked and could've slept most of today if it weren't for caffeine tablets and things to do. Its a new sensation for me. Its funny how the workout didn't seem as intense as previous ones, but I know for sure it was more intense than the one before it because I felt very average that time.

Lol dave I mean I sleep alot, less than 8 hours and I'm a wreck. Definitely put some strain on your CNS there Chew!

It is the soreness you get after a work out (usually one you are not accustomed to). DOMS stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness as it normally takes about 12-24 hours for it to kick in.

thank you for the explanation.

I just got another 12 hours sleep and feel a fair bit better so far today. I'm thinking the ZMA might've compounded the feeling. I'm so sceptical of it, especially its alledged affects on hormones, but I really do think it has an effect on sleep. This time I am noticing vivid and bizarre dreams. It better have more effects than that otherwise I'll be pissed about all the bottle I just ordered from overseas.

Will probably skip tomorrows workout as I'm probably not going away now for another 5 weeks (however I have now found there is not going to be any suitable gyms for me there for 2 weeks). Dunno if my CNS can keep up the intensity for that long without a break. I've also had to up the Prednisone back to 25mg so likely to get that euphoric feeling again which may be playing havoc with my nerves and/or hormones (though thats not why I had to up the dose - I actually hate the stuff).

Last edited:
The reason I can't move at the moment!!!!!

Do 200 burpees then wait a day then you will have a real good explanation :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Freak I think I will have quad doms tomorrow from squats today. Damn hip if it didn't play up 2 months ago I would not be getting all this DOMS. Ok maybe the burpee DOMS but that is it.

What's the best method of action with doms Dave? Rest? Recovery sets? I just honestly couldn't do a recovery set atm I've never felt such pain from doms.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just wait it out, as soon as you feel you can exercise start. I was fine yesterday for a session of burpees but my serratus anterior fired up last night with my lats and after lifting I just felt like I could do no more. It should be a one off thing if you are exercising correctly (as in frequently enough).