• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Floor mats.

GoPies

Hi All,

I have covered my floor with rubber mats and just wanted to pass on some advice for those are wanting to do the same thing.

1). Make sure you clarify which mats that you want. E.G. the completely flat squares or the ones that have lines in them (quarters).

2). Make sure you buy all of the mats at once. Don't buy them in stages as its better to get them all from the same batch. I bought them in batches (about a year apart so I can't complain) and they are different heights and sizes.

Having the mats is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it. It not only protects your flooring from damage but it also makes it feel like a real gym :)

I bought these -> RUBBER GYM FLOORING 1m x 1m

I hope that this advice will help others out.

Last edited:
Having the mats is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend it. It not only protects your flooring from damage but it also makes it feel like a real gym :)

Hi Aaron,

Couldn't agree more.
I only set up at home a few weeks ago and put down 20 m2 of rubber mats.
When I had my garage gym set up before, I felt depressed working out as I was working out on a cold concrete floor, just didn't feel right.
Now, I'm alot more motivated to train with the rubber flooring down, it's a totally different feel, you can drop weights a bit more too without damage.

A tip to laying the mats.
Start a row along the longest wall.
For the next row, cut a mat in half so the mats are laid like a brick pattern, you can always use the half mat on another row.
This way, the joins work out better, you won't have the corners of 4 mats joining at one point.
You have to compress them a little so there are no gaps in the joins.

Another good tip. Dammit, wish I had of thought of that. Can't be bothered moving all the equipment now, and I have already cut the mats to fit up against the wall.

O well. The advice may help the next person.

I am looking for a supplier in Perth, would love to get them from gym direct but I rekon the freight would be killer, will need 9 pieces to floor the room set aside in the next house (for the gym).

One question, do they put of a strong smell from the factory? I remember my new rubber coated plates stinking out the shed for a couple months. If they do I may buy them soon as I wont be laying them inside until our new home has finished construction, this should give them time to release the odour.

I am looking for a supplier in Perth, would love to get them from gym direct but I rekon the freight would be killer, will need 9 pieces to floor my room set aside in the next house.

One question, do they put of a strong smell from the factory? I remember my new rubber coated plates stinking out the shed for a couple months. If they do I may buy them soon as I wont be laying them inside until our new home has finished construction, this should give them time to release the odour.

Yes, a strong odour. Takes a few weeks for the smell to die down to nothing.

I'm in melb and the transport has been reasonable.

Just a quick question, have you cut the mats into quarters for ease of lining the room? just can see 7 mats across the width of the room (3.5m) or do the 1m x 1m mats just look like they are in quarters?

Just a quick question, have you cut the mats into quarters for ease of lining the room? just can see 7 mats across the width of the room (3.5m) or do the 1m x 1m mats just look like they are in quarters?

The mats I used are 1m x 1m and each one has lines through them that makes them look like quarters.

Cheers, thanks for that mate. Sweet setup by the way. I'm looking to deck my garage out soon with a power rack and some mats.