• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Avascular Necrosis of Femoral Head

Omnomnom

Has anyone had any experience with this diagnosis?

Long story short, I'm 18, have had left hip pain for about 2 months, been for scans, and the most likely prognosis is idiopathic, atypical avascular necrosis of the femoral head. For now it's a waiting game, it may get better by itself or get worse, in which case there are quite invasive methods of solving the problem.

Strictly no training, indefinitely. :(

idiopathic, atypical avascular necrosis of the femoral head.

Otherwise known as we have no ****ing clue why your bone is dying due to not getting blood. I love how medicine uses big words to hide inadequacies.

You would not want to be loading up your hip with this condition, that does not mean you could do other things such as upper body work. Hell most people in the gym only do upper body work as it is. I would keep the extra weight off of it until your doctors know if it is getting worse or better. Good luck.

avascular - lack of blood flow
necrosis - cell death

femoral head. well yeah...

Medicical terminolgy is all the same. maybe its designed to make dr's sound more important.

Omfg he's having a Myocardial infarction!

True but the whole thing is funny...

Something cant arise from something unrelated or obscure otherwise that thing wouldnt arise in the first place...

But you are right... I still stand by they like to sound important. Oh you have this it means "i dont know" lol...

You don't want to sound stupid when you are saying 'I have no clue'.

Personally I don't have an issue with someone not knowing as you can not work out everything.

It has kind of left me in the dark, not knowing any particular reason for what has caused it and that there is no treatment at this stage.

However, I'll most likely be part taking in a trial study from next week which is testing a particular drug and its ability to delay or remove the need for hip replacement.

The femoral head gets it's blood supply by a ligament (blood vessels follow it) inside the joint capsule. It is the only way blood reaches the bone of the head. If this has been obstructed it would be a surgical procedure, I assume, that would correct it. If that is not the reason then it would be a weird case and I would have no reason why (seems to be your docs conclusion). Did they open you up and check the blood supply?
Posted via Mobile Device

The femoral head gets it's blood supply by a ligament (blood vessels follow it) inside the joint capsule. It is the only way blood reaches the bone of the head. If this has been obstructed it would be a surgical procedure, I assume, that would correct it. If that is not the reason then it would be a weird case and I would have no reason why (seems to be your docs conclusion). Did they open you up and check the blood supply?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I haven't had any procedures yet.

No fractures? no steroid use you did not want to tell the doc about?

Here is some stolen info on what they can use surgery for in your instance:

Surgical Intervention

Surgical treatment of AVN can be broadly categorized as either prophylactic measures (to retard progression) or reconstruction procedures (after femoral head collapse). Small asymptomatic lesions do not warrant surgical intervention and are closely monitored with serial examination. If symptoms ensue, repeat imaging and surgical treatment are indicated.

Prophylactic measures
The most commonly performed prophylactic surgical intervention is core decompression, whereby one or more cores of necrotic femoral head bone is removed in order to stimulate repair.8 Core decompression is often supplemented with bone grafting (cancellous autograft or structural allograft) to enhance mechanical support and augment healing. Biologic augmentation of core decompression includes the addition of demineralized bone matrix, bone morphogenic proteins, or electric/electromagnetic stimulation.9 These agents are purported to either enhance bone formation or decrease bone resorption in the hope of maintaining the structural integrity of the femoral head. Biologic augmentation of core decompression alone offers therapeutic benefit—if it is instituted before subchondral collapse (Steinberg stage III).9
The addition of a vascularized fibular graft to core decompression offers promise in cases with more advanced lesions, but this procedure involves considerable morbidity. One study indicated that vascularized fibular grafts were more effective in preventing femoral head collapse than nonvascularized fibular autografts.10
The results of prophylactic measures for femoral head AVN have considerable variation, but certain generalizations can safely be stated. Namely, the clinical results of core decompression alone deteriorate with more advanced lesions.9 The addition of cancellous bone grafting appears to slightly enhance clinical outcomes if subchondral fracture is present.10 The addition of demineralized bone matrix to core decompression confers little (if any) clinical response, and the effects of bone morphogenic protein remain uncertain.
The supplemental implementation of electrical stimulation with core decompression has provided disappointing results.9 Low-frequency pulsed electric and magnetic fields may offer more promise, but clinical results thus far are inconclusive. The placement of a structural graft through a core tract into the femoral head generally yields disappointing results. However, grafts placed into the femoral neck or directly into the femoral head are more promising. Free vascularized fibular grafting significantly alters disease progression in precollapse lesions and is even useful in modifying disease in mildly collapsed and early arthritic hips.10
Osteotomies are performed in attempt to move necrotic bone away from primary weight-bearing areas in the hip joint. Osteotomies can be angular or rotational, with the latter proving to be much more technically difficult. These techniques may delay arthroplasty, but they are best suited for small precollapse or early postcollapse of the femoral head in patients who don't have an ongoing cause of AVN. However, osteotomies make subsequent arthroplasty more challenging and, unfortunately, these procedures are associated with an appreciable risk of nonunion.
The role of arthroscopy to better stage the extent of disease has emerged. Arthroscopic evaluation of the joint can help better define the extent of chondral flaps, joint degeneration and even joint collapse and may help with the temporary relief of synovitis.11 Arthroscopic-assisted reduction of the head collapse is experimental at this time.

Thank you medscape.com the explainerer of oh so many conditions.

I got completely discombobulated trying to follow that.

I did 26 body weight shrugs, couldn't quite squeeze out the 27th rep.

No fractures, no steroid use, minimal amounts of alcohol (less than the occasional social drink). None of the causes relate to my situation, unless squatting can be classified as trauma...

tl:dr, I have been informed about the decompression method, but at this point in time the collective opinions of those involved has been to keep an eye on it and wait to see if it gets any worse as so far only a small section is affected (about the size of the end of your thumb). I will be discussing on tuesday the option or part taking in a trial study for a certain drug's effects on early stages of avascular necrosis.

Hoping it doesn't progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not much you can do. Ask your doc about training even if it is upper body stuff, he may have an issue with extra muscle putting to much more weight on the hip joint. You could also ask if not weight bearing strength training for the lower limbs is ok. I hate to say it but leg extension, curls etc.

Not much you can do. Ask your doc about training even if it is upper body stuff, he may have an issue with extra muscle putting to much more weight on the hip joint. You could also ask if not weight bearing strength training for the lower limbs is ok. I hate to say it but leg extension, curls etc.

Yeah the worst part is exactly that, not being able to be active about solving the problem. I'll have to ask on Tuesday specifically what exercise I can do, there might also be limitations due to the medication but I'll wait and find out.

The big 'don't for now is any extra loading than necessary on the joint.
Posted via Mobile Device