• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Cycling] Biking and gears

L

Lady In Red

I just bought myself a mountain bike from the local bike store , its called a hybrid trek7.3 , brought it recreational use.

The one thing that i don;t get is the gears front and rear , what is what , what gear should i useand what combination is best ? I just want to get on
the bike and ride. Please help

Welcome to biking "Lady in Red"
didn't the bike store give you a crash course over the bike ? a bit slack of them

Here's pretty much all you need to know about shifting gears:
  • If you're going uphill and it's too difficult, shift down.
  • If your legs are spinning the pedals way too fast (it's too "easy") then shift up.
the best way to learn about what gears suit you is to try them out and see , just go for a ride and have a play around with them all , you'll sort it out in no time

'High gear' is the gearing that gives you the greatest distance travelled for one turn of a crank.
'Low gear' gives the shortest distance travelled for one turn of a crank.
but it also comes at a price of effort a high gear is harder to push than a low gear

all this basically translates to low gear provides the torque(power) needed to climb a steep hill while a good high gear provides speed on smooth flat roads.

thanks for that , i did as was suggested just test the gears out and see what does what so easy to work out , don't have too many hills around here so the low gears aren't really needed

now i'm off to get some equipment already have the helmet the store gave it to me with the bike , also as you know its law to have a helmet

so what next , do i need all that funky clothing ? any other equipment to suggest ?

good to hear that you got it sorted out , it looks hard but its all rather easy
funky clothing lol , nah you don't really needed it , only if your doing long journeys helps with wicking away the sweat
equipment
helmet a must
bike pump , spare tube and tools

here is a run down of gearing
The Gearshift on the left controls the gears in 3sets the front gears , Where as the GearShift on the right controls the rear gears individually.
For example
If your bike has 21 gears, Then the gears are divided into 3 groups of 7 gears.
When left GearShift is on 1, you use the Right GearShift to move through gears 1 - 7
When left shifter is on 2, you use the Right GearShift to move through 8 - 15
When left shifter is on 3, you use the Right GearShift to move through 16 - 21

I Hope that Make sense

The lower the gear, the less resistance. Use a lower gear for going up hills.
When start descending the hill gravity pulls you down making you go faster DOWNHILL, Shift into a higher gear so that you can to pedal along and go faster.
You will find that you using your right shifter more than the left I'm not sure if I

I hope that i made sense and that i explained it good enough