• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Osteitis Pubis

TTTTTT

Anyone with experience with osteitis pubis. Reason why i'm asking is because i wanna start leg work and running again. Its been almost 2 months, but the pain is still there but ever so slight ( Just doesn't seem like its improving from the point i'm at now).

Cheers

yeah seen the doc - he said 4 weeks i should be fine. Just really wanna find out if the pain fully goes as i've heard that a twinge will stay with you for the rest of your sportng career once you get oseitis pubis. If theres always a twinge ill start some really light leg work

From what I have read it does not go away and can ruin some pro's careers but I have not looked fully into it myself.

Here is a bit of info for you (from a professor of rehabilitative medicine):

Prognosis

Prognosis for recovery is excellent with definitive diagnosis and treatment. Reports indicate that the average time to full recovery is 9.5 months in men and 7.0 months in women. Some reports suggest that recovery may take up to 32 months. Recurrence is more common in males.

Patient Education

The literature suggests that osteitis pubis is a frustrating condition for the patient and for the physician; therefore, patient education cannot be overemphasized.
Rest is advised.
Athletes are advised to refrain from sporting activities for 3-6 months and then to return on a gradual supervised basis.
Avoid any activity or exercise that may place stress on the pelvic ring.

yeah i'd say that 9 months is for more serious cases. I jumped on earlier, had xrays, and had an enlarged (inflamed) pubic symphisis, which is osteitis pubis. Doc did mention that i'm pretty lucky it wasn't bad, most people keep playing and training using anti inflamo's - which stuffs them right up. I might go for trip back to the doc. Just bloody expensive

I would say a trip back, recheck it and then go from there. If there is still pain then it is most likely still inflamed which means it still has a little way to go to heal fully. There may be some rehab you can do.

Sorry to add ot this discussion really late.. But I can give you my experience.

I play Ice hockey and lift heavy as well and was diagnosed with OP around June 2009. I was back playing hockey (albeit taking it easy) around November 2009.

Even now I still do my groin, hip, glute, hami and hip flexor stretches EVERY morning. I have found even if i stop doing them for a couple of days, I get tight and sore in my hip flexors and my groin. I'm very mindful now about warming up, heating, and stretchign my groin before/after hockey games too. I have no problems now with ab or heavy leg workouts, which a year ago I wouldn't have dreamed about attempting.

As long as I keep my stretching up, I'm having no problems, however I feel like I'll be doing them every morning for the rest of my life.

Heres my 2 drachmas

I have had plenty of experience with what you guys call OP.

In my mind, it doesnt exist, its a weakness in the area thats corrected with strength training.

Every single case I have been presented with I fixed in a few weeks.

At Dolphins you cant mention OP, it means 20 x 64kg UDL's.

The last one I fixed was Chris Dawes. He couldnt run or do the beep test a few weeks ago when I started at Frankston. Goosey told me the boy can play, but he would be cut if he didnt start running.

Chris has since been lifting 6 days a week and doing all the running, 6hrs a week.

Absolutely no sign of OP whatsoever.

Not one player at the Dolphins currently suffers from OP

It was first described to me as an overuse injury. So I figured every player in the AFL had it. When I discovered they didnt, I figured it was weakness.

First one I fixed was in 2007 for Luke Forsythe, Brisbane Lions listed player, 2 years out of the game, fixed in 1 month with, hasnt had a single issue with it in the last 3 years of football, playing for big bucks in local league now.

What exactly did you get your boys with groin pain doing ptc? I get a bit of a niggle in my right groin when I squat, by the end of session it's gone though...

Last edited:
Exercises that strengthen the hips, glutes, hamstrings, erectors and groin area without lots of upperbody work that causes the player to create a further imbalance.

Most players feel I need to rest my groin so I'll bench. That just gives the groin more weight to carry while its getting weaker.

If a building had a wonky foundation, would you keep adding floors to the upper level?

My doc said my OP was from overdoing it (running) and bad foot wear, but i do admit after i was painless which took 18 weeks. I started doing alot of squats and i havn't had a flare up yet from running.

Shit of an injury if you get it and docs see it as a cash grab also.

My doc said my OP was from overdoing it (running) and bad foot wear, but i do admit after i was painless which took 18 weeks. I started doing alot of squats and i havn't had a flare up yet from running.

Shit of an injury if you get it and docs see it as a cash grab also.

Sorry T,

But you saw a GP..?
Or an osteo/chiro/physio.. ??

I've seen plenty of guys with OP, a lot misdiagnosed too.. and had very good results doing exercises pretty much along the lines of what PTC mentioned about.. but then a good osteo/chiro/physio will give these to you.. and treat you holsitically rather then saying just stop and do nothing..:)

Foot wear is a funny thing.. there is a bit of research suggesting that feet issues can and normally originate at the hips.. what sort of runners do you wear..? do you wear different ones when you lift vs. when you run..?

Saw a sports doctor at 110 a session

now i'm using mizuno wave ultima 2 but before i was running with a cheap nike shoe and havn't had any problems with recurring pain. The area still feels weird though after intense sessions, but apparently thats normal. Hips were checked and they were fine, the doc initially thought i had limited movement in my right hip, but that was found to be not true.

To be honest i think my main problem was the way i ran, which was very heavy footed and where (pavements). Now grass,soft sand and sprung courts is the only surfaces i'll run on

^ Have you considered getting a shoe with less of a heel and running without a heel-strike technique? You'll not that professional runners (even distance runners) have no where near as much heel padding and they run on the balls of their feet - this is how the foot is designed to bear load.

That combined with some strengthening exercises like PTC suggested might get you running pain free on whatever surface you like.