• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Activity vs. Exercise

Fadi

jknn361l.jpg

Exercise is quickly becoming a four letter word in my book, structured type exercise that is.

Let us go back few years when there were no gyms to speak of and no tread mills to walk on, and no remote controls to save us the “agonisingly long walk” of two to three meters that separated us from our TV screens.

Yes, we live in a fast paced society with its fast food and quick transport facilities which we take advantage of on a daily basis. Some of us also work in a world comprising of a cubicle; spending long hours sitting behind a computer screen and surrounded by state of the art gadgets. Our message bank is full and our email folder is bursting at the seams and the boss has the audacity to place more papers on our desk just incase we were contemplating going for a little walk and stretch!

The picture I’ve painted above is not from Mars but is an everyday occurrence that would see us meet our demise sooner than later…if we allow it to continue and don’t take a stand TODAY!

Remember that time wasted now whilst you’re healthy would be time spent later when you’re not. The only difference is in the choice. It’s free choice vs. forced option (and it won’t even be an option later since that would mean having a say in it).

Time pockets; have you heard of them? If not in that particular terminology then I’m certain you’ve experienced at least a few of them during your day at work or home. For example, waiting for a kettle to boil, or having some time after dinner before your favourite TV show starts or the microwave oven (if you're unfortunate enough to be using one) to heat the food up…

Identify these time pockets and use them to your advantage. Go through the house insuring that no tap is licking or no lights are left on unnecessarily, (yes I’m a dad)! Reformatting the computer or waiting for that meeting to take place creates time pockets. You see, our minds do not stop ticking over and if we don’t feed that chatter box inside of our head with something positive and some meaningful task to accomplish (like writing a healthy food shopping list for example), then we would be faced with nothing but stress and worry. In a nutshell, busy yourself otherwise relax by meditating (in your own special way) or go to sleep. No, I’m not asking for a 24/7 of non-stop activity here but I am emphasising that thinking and moving are often two of the best options we have at our disposal when our aim is to live rather than simply exist.

Ask the person next to you if they exercise or not and most invariably they would feel embarrassed from your question. There are housewives out there who “exercise” much more than your average gym goer and feel great about it. Healthy looking skin, smooth and shiny hair, strong nails, beautiful teeth and gums, and an attitude that would make “positive and bubbly” green with envy.

Let us take a good, close, and hard look at this beautiful lady and see if we can not help but admire her attitude on life.

She goes to bed early because her day was vibrant and full of activities. More details please Fadi!

She wakes up to a crystal clear glass of water which she drinks slowly before getting her self (and her family) ready for a wholesome breakfast of a freshly squeezed orange juice, an egg on a toasted and buttered Burgen seed and grain slice of bread. A side salad drizzled with some of the finest olive oils in the world and a squeeze of lemon juice tops all those now glistening cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow, red, and green capsicum and all the other wonderful vegetables her healthy heart may fancy for that morning.

Off to work she goes (if she works). She parks about 30 minutes walk away from her office building and begins her morning activity of a brisk walk to work. She’s few minutes early as usual with no rushing and no stressing. She has a long day ahead of her that would require her to sit her muscular derrière for hours on end. Ah, but not this lady, so watch what she does to incorporate activities into her busy work schedule.

Due to her wonderful and liked attitude, she has already struck a deal with her boss at work that would result in nothing short of a win-win situation for everyone. She has volunteered to walk to the shop to buy everyone’s morning tea as well as lunch. That would mean leaving the office for few minutes to get the “much needed” blood sugar lift for her co-workers. These lifts come in many shapes and sizes; some in a bottle of coke whilst others in a beautifully rounded pink donut! Who cares as long as she gets to be the one “slaving” for her colleagues.

When she goes shopping, unlike most of us who fight for a parking spot so close to the supermarket’s entrance as to be virtually inside of it, she opts for a car space that is at the furthest point possible from “the car spot fighting zones”. When she’s inside the shopping centre, she takes the stairs instead of the escalators or the lift. She carries her 20kg of shopping to her car instead of pushing it in a trolley. Yes, her arms and shoulders are tight also, just like the rest of her well trained and healthy physique. She’s doing all the above willingly with a purpose that is the core of her driving force.

When at home or at work, this lady does these activities before her “exercise”, structured exercise that is. She likes to do the pushups, the bodyweight squats, the step-ups (on a milk crate or similar), the plank (oh that’s her favourite whilst watching TV with the kids who like to join in sometimes)!

Activity vs. exercise. Ah, I nearly forgot, this dynamite of a lady goes to the gym just for fun and enjoyment and is very proficient in performing the compound lifts that are the bedrock of a magnificent body. These lifts comprise of:

Squats
Bench press
Press above head
One arm d/bell rows
Dead lift

This beautiful lady is not muscular by any stretch of the imagination yet her muscles are nice and tight. She is not the strongest woman in the world but is strong enough to rearrange the home furniture around in no time flat (as women often do) and create a totally new and different surrounding that has a positive outcome on mind and spirit alike.

Who is she or who is he that amazing person I’ve been talking about now?

Take a walk to the closest mirror and look at the reflection that you see. It has been you all along.

So the moral of the story is as follows:

Perspire before you retire
Move for the sake of moving and not for the sake of improving
Walk for enjoyment not for exercise and take the stress out of the equation
Moderation and not marathons or sprints is what will win at the end
Lift for you and no one else
“Exercise” to live not live to exercise = be active!

PS: Left out climbing the stairs at work. Now that is an awesome workout for your heart as well as your butt and legs. Here's my message to anyone who think they have a legitimate reason not to do what I'm suggesting in my article; do it now when you can instead of having to do it later because you have been forced to, due to health issues. And yes, we develop health issues not because we don't go and rock it out at gym A or do aerobics at park B; we develop problems with our health simply from not allowing our bodies do what they were designed to do: MOVE!

I'm putting out a challenge to anyone who think they have no time because I will find time for them! Even if you work in an offence building (wow, that's the best!) trapped in your little cubicle, even under this circumstances you could find 2 minutes the way I have. But I must warn you, you may get addicted to my plan, so get your boss on board as well or else!

If smokers can be standing outside their building (or behind it as the case maybe now), then why not us who wish to look after our precious assets, namely our lungs, heart, and major muscles!

dro0084l.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Excellent article, Fadi. I've told all my clients who begin obese and want to change that, the bulk of their fat loss will come from eating good food in place of crap, and increasing general physical activity.

Any gym workouts or training sessions they do will improve strength, fitness and flexibility, and thus general well-being - but the bulk of the fat loss will come from sorting out their food and being generally more active.

The most dramatic example so far has been JD, who in 13 weeks went from 165 to 145kg. I'd love to be able to credit the 2-3 sessions a week he did with me to that, but really it was down to his improved diet and great day-to-day activity.

Fadi's back! And as always has written something deeply insightful that we should all take to heart.

Great inspiring post once again Fadi, the line "Walk for enjoyment not for exercise and take the stress out of the equation" rings true, I love to get out for a walk, just me and whatever is around, nice and relaxing I find.

I work in an 8 acre yard and I love a few big walks around it a day to clear my mind. Good stuff Fadi!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bank of life
Imagine there is a bank that credits your account each morning with $86,400.
It carries over no balance from day to day.
Every "evening" deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the day.
What would you do?
Draw out every cent, of course!
Each of us has such a "bank". It's name is TIME.
Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds.
Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to good purpose.
It carries over no balance.
It allows no overdraft.
Each day it opens a new account of the day.
If you fail to use the day's deposit, the loss is yours.

There is no going back. There is no drawing against the "tomorrow".
You must live in the present on today's deposits.
Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness, and success!
The clock is running.
Make the most of today.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR.. ask a student who failed a grade.
To realize the value of ONE MONTH.. ask a mother who gave birth to a premature baby.
To realize the value of ONE WEEK.. ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of ONE HOUR.. ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE.. ask a person who missed the train.
To realize the value of ONE SECOND.. ask a person who just avoided an accident.
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE.. ask a person who missed the train.
To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND.. ask the person who won a silver medal in the Olympics.
Treasure every moment that you have!
And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time. And remember that time waits for no one.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why its called..
the Present!

Fadi your post rings true in life, it makes me think of my grandpa, he is 94, still lives at home, drives, mows the lawns, walks to the shop, goes out for a hit of tennis and plays the odd round of golf. He has been telling me for years how he gets up every morning and does his exercises just to keep ACTIVE and apart from cancer he had about 15 years ago which hardly stopped him, I've never known the old bugger to get sick.

Reminds me of a story I heard about people who DRIVE to the gym to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes when they could just walk to the gym and back.

Reminds me of a story I heard about people who DRIVE to the gym to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes when they could just walk to the gym and back.
..and pay big dollars to use this treadmill when walking is free.

I like Fadi's thinking, if you are more active throughout your work day then you need less activity outside of work when you could be spending it with your loved ones or you could just lift more heavy stuff :D

I also love the people who go to the gym to walk on a treadmill, I keep telling people who go to the gym to run on a treadmill to GO OUTSIDE!!!!!!

Well looks like I don't have to do any activities outside of work because my job bloody hard work, it feels like you have been to the gym lifting weights all day..

As much as I like Fadi's post, this may not be very helpful to most people in our modern world, who already have a tendency to vastly overrate how much physical activity they actually do, because as a society, we're much lazier and inactive as we used to be.

For example, some of my friends at dancing count dancing as their sole exercise (and walking to the supermarket as high level physical activity) while I count my dancing as fun and active recovery at most. Those same friends are all struggling to lose fat and get fit.

And really, I have not met those hot MILF housewives in my thrice-weekly shopping trips. Fadi, pics or it didn't happen. :p

As much as I like Fadi's post, this may not be very helpful to most people in our modern world, who already have a tendency to vastly overrate how much physical activity they actually do, because as a society, we're much lazier and inactive as we used to be.

For example, some of my friends at dancing count dancing as their sole exercise (and walking to the supermarket as high level physical activity) while I count my dancing as fun and active recovery at most. Those same friends are all struggling to lose fat and get fit.

And really, I have not met those hot MILF housewives in my thrice-weekly shopping trips. Fadi, pics or it didn't happen. :p

This would be the equivalent of saying: I see many people walk into the gym but hardly see any Mr. Olympias coming out! I don't need pics to prove that these people were in the gym, but if were to analise each individual, then we may come to a more fruitful conclusion as to why there is or isn't much improvement after so many years of gym visiting.

Is that what you were sort of talking about Dance or have I missed something?

Fadi.

Just an Internet guy's joking way of asking you to get us some photos of said hot housewives for, um, scientific research purpose, Fadi. It's standard Internet "protocol" when anyone mentions attractive women they've met. :p

What do you do?

Work in the racing industry, up at 3.30am work till about 11am, its hard work, as I'm unable to ride till the end of the year due an accident, I have to walk the horses back and forth from the track, most of them try pull your arms out or stand on you, so walking usually from start of morning till about 9am, then its cleaning out boxes, digging out one of the boxes. Then back in afternoon to do more physical work. When I stop working I went from 53kilos to 58kilos, started working again eating a lot more back to 55kilos :)

Can't wait till I start riding thats a killer, you never see fat track riders