• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Equipment - Help me decide

GoPies

Gymdirect Pro Squat Rack

Hi All,

Glad I found the forum as I have a question I am hoping you can help me answer.

I intend on getting stuck into gym again after many years of doing not much, I know, I suck.

I don't want to go to a gym as I have tried that and I just can't make that commitment and stick to it. Either time is an issue or just getting to the gym in the first place.

So if I'm going to do gym its got to be done at home.

I have a gym room already with a cross trainer for some cardio, a bench press (old, rickety, crusty), Muscle Motion Preacher Curl unit and plenty of dumb bells and regular sized plate weights.

I'm wanting to do this properly and I'm prepared to spend the money required to get setup to do this correctly. I'm wanting to do some squats etc's and was thinking of getting a unit that will allow this. I have read that you would want to do regular barbell squats on top of smith machine squats in the interest of developing the supporting muscles as well.

Anyways... enough with my rambling.

I have been looking at this unit as something that would possibly be good value and enable me to do a number of exercises.

Package 6 - Smith Machine

I'm open to any suggestions. Should I be looking at something else? What would you guys recommend ?

I usually prefer to buy the right equipment at the start and perhaps paying a bit more than I could really get away with than rather than throwing it all out and upgrading again when I out grow it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd be shocked to find anyone on here who would recommend a smith machine.
Good news for you too, will save you a tonne of money buying a rack instead!

How exciting... just got the email to say the equipment has been dispatched :)

Now I just have to work on learning how to do squats and making sure my shoulder holds up :)

Fingers crossed.

Great decision, I have the standard rack and very happy with it but wish I had one of these!

Have you also ordered an oly bar and plates?

Be sure to post up some pics when its all setup

Thanks for the compliment. Ill definitely post some pics once its all setup.

I bought this bar and weight set ->175KG Olympic Barbell set (Rubber)

But I upgraded the bar to this one -> 220cm Olympic Barbell (1500lbs)

And got this bench -> Commercial Flat to Incline Bench w Wheels

Pretty much over kill for a beginner like me, but I like to buy things once. Hopefully one day I reach the targets set by Markos.

Eventually I'd like to buy 4 x 25kg bumper plates like the new ones that PTC are trialling out at the moment.

Last edited:
good stuff mate,

i ordered today the package deal 7 from gymdirect, with asfid bench..

got to wait 2 weeks till they are in stock though, but all good.

a million times better than my current setup

good stuff mate,

i ordered today the package deal 7 from gymdirect, with asfid bench..

got to wait 2 weeks till they are in stock though, but all good.

a million times better than my current setup

If I was smarter that package 7 is probably the much better choice. I just really wanted that commercial rack. It just looks so cool :p Yes I'm vain :p

That is a very nice set-up indeed. I don't get the spotter stands. Wouldn't spotters be redundant when you've got safety pins/bars to prevent any problems?

I've got a pretty good power rack at home but it'd be nice to store the weight plates on the rack like the one you've got. I just lean mine against the wall, very stylish storage solution.

That is a very nice set-up indeed. I don't get the spotter stands. Wouldn't spotters be redundant when you've got safety pins/bars to prevent any problems?

I've got a pretty good power rack at home but it'd be nice to store the weight plates on the rack like the one you've got. I just lean mine against the wall, very stylish storage solution.

Cheers thanks for the compliments mate.

From the vid I saw, the spotter stands are actually for helping you get to the pull up bar -> [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4p0QA6-_c&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - muscle motion commercial heavy squat power rack.wmv[/ame]

Go to the 2:39 mark.

Right, I see, thanks. Those safety bars look very easy to adjust, good stuff.

That's some good work from The Hulk in that vid. He's pretty good with the wide grip pullups.

Right, I see, thanks. Those safety bars look very easy to adjust, good stuff.

That's some good work from The Hulk in that vid. He's pretty good with the wide grip pullups.
The hulk? Is he a member here? Sorry im still new.

The ease of moving the bits of the equipment is one of the things that made my decision easy. Buy once, by right.

Yeah The Hulk is an Ausbb member and he runs Gym Direct as well.

I've posted a very flattering poem about him, an excellent tribute, in one of the threads. You should check it out.

congrats on the purchase, use it well mate!
the power rack looks solid! should last you, your children, grandchildren and some!

congrats on the purchase, use it well mate!
the power rack looks solid! should last you, your children, grandchildren and some!

lol, i hope so. Its yet to be seen. fingers crossed.

Now that I think of it, its a lot of money to hand over without seeing the actual goods. I might end up looking like a fool. hehe, wouldn't be the first time.

Nah mate, I haven't heard a single bad rep about any of their gear.

I haven't read a bad remark about them either, thats why I choose to go ahead with it anyways. Fingers crossed. Ill take some pic's and some vids (gulp) once I figure out how to do squats properly. I have serious flexibility issues. I can only just reach between my knees and ankles when stretching :(