• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

General advice needed

Jonno1982

Hi All

I am very new to weight training and only really starting to get into it now. I wanted to get some advice on how to go about doing things the right way to get better definition and build strength.

So I only recently joined a gym about 4 months ago. I have been going up to 5 times a week doing weights/cardio on alternate days. I am 179cm tall and currently weight 85gks. I have lost 9.5kgs so far and want to loose a little more before I start bulking up with a more concentrated weight routine as now i do a total body session every second day.

What I am wanting to know is what in your opinion would be a good target weight before I start bulking up? I was looking at a weight around the 82kg mark, would this be ideal? Another thing, i want to start taking a post work out drink and have read here that Bioflex is a good choice, would I only start these once I reach that goal weight?

I know its pretty vague details but as i say, i don't know much about training but am willing to take on board any advice giving!

Thanks
See ya
Jonno

Last edited:
If your goal is to bulk up, don't bother trying to slim down first.
During your bulking you're most likely going to put on a bit of fat anyway, so time wasted now trying to lose it will be wasted when you hit bulking.

Also, once you are at the size you wanna reach anyway, the extra muscle mass will make it easier for you to lose the excess fat.

Good luck.

One thing I would have changed is; work out every second day and NO cardio work.

You save what you have for the workout, your intensity of work needs to be at its highest.
Posted via Mobile Device

I personally think it is achievable to bulk up without putting fat on. Good clean carbs with a high protein diet is all you need. Turn your three workouts into a beginners routine like fadi's, ptc's or mark riptoe. Also remember the more muscle you put on the more fat your body will burn in general. So forget about cutting, up your intensity, up your lifts and be all that you can be. I do believe cardio plays a part in having a healthy heart and body so make sure you have at least two hiit cardio workouts and maybe two 30-40 power walks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks all for the advise, will have to make some adjustments to my training.

Should I be getting some Bioflex Biobulker for post workout? What about a pre workout, something like Biocharge?

Thanks all for the advise, will have to make some adjustments to my training.

Should I be getting some Bioflex Biobulker for post workout? What about a pre workout, something like Biocharge?
You are just new to weight training, you won't need any of this stuff yet.

Agree with silverback and danco, slimming and bulking is a very difficult goal for pro body builders, most of them dont try this, but rather a 2-phase method. Bulk, then strip the weight.

Shrek and dave are also right, maybe a fast acting protein shake after, but those post workout mixes are pricey, and not for people starting out.

So yeah, stick with bench, deadlifts, squats and military press. Maybe some dips. Try to work your weight up as often as possible, and that will make you put on the size after couple months or more (body type dependent). Once you are tank, strip down the extra weight you may have aquired from eating heaps of steaks, eggs and chicken breasts (and other high protein foods you need to bulk).