• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying a quality powerlifting belt

amac38

Hey mate.

A few of us on AusBB are looking at buying a decent belt, what do you guys recommend?

Haz showed us this webpage which convinced a few people to give it a try.

Before addressing other belt related topics, I want to make a bold, clarifying statement. If your goal is to get stronger (and you have been lifting longer than two months) and you refuse to wear a belt, you are a ****ing idiot. I’m sorry I’m not sorry. Look, not only are the abdominals working harder, but the pressure is increased within the trunk which stabilizes and strengthens the spine. This makes you stronger, and it is usable strength. The first time someone wears their belt in a serious training session (especially when pressing and deadlifting), their abs get sore. Not to mention the work sets are handled easier than without the belt. The belt is not something that you use to “bust out of a training rut”, it is a tool that you use to get stronger, and if you aren’t wearing one, then you aren’t serious about your training.

PR Friday
Here are some places to buy belts from:
Skorpions Gym - Belts - - - - Scorpions Gym and Powerlifting Club - - -
Underground Elite - Underground Elite :: Gym Accessories :: Powerlifting Belt - Single Prong Power Belt
Muscle Genesis - OutBak Belt (Leather Powerlifting Belt) - Muscle Genesis - Discount Supplements Australia -

If you could share your experiences you've had with any weightlifting belts, where you bought it from and what you think of it, that would be great!

PS: This is NOT a thread to hate on belts.

I've got the Outbak belt. Fine for general powerlifting training. As a beginner, it has served me well. It is a little uncomfortable around the edges compared to the Titan belts and the buckle and strap are a pain once you really tighten the belt up. I also agree with what macmad said about the teeth wearing out the holes.

The Outbak is no good if have any intention of wearing a bench shirt in future. You cannot do it up without a helper. I'd get a lever belt if you are planning on trying out equipment at any stage.

Go to Titan Australia if you want a Toro belt: www.titanaustralia.com.au

I haven't tried the Inzer lever belt.

I have a Toro I bought from Minh over there at Titan Australia, awesome belt, I would never go away from a lever belt it is incredible.

Nina and Annie got the Inzer lever belt, Adam Coe bought me one back in 1992, its still mint.

Oh, and Alvin, I know its not a hate thing, but youre being guided by a post on a website.

Heres another.

While I understand and have read all the arguments for and against belts, and I dont stop any of my clients using them, I havent had one client with a strong core defer to a belt.

This week Max broke the WR deadlift in his class by 10kg without a belt. He will add another 10kg next week. So if he breaks a WR by 20kg without one, why is everybody else wearing one?

I'm guessing because they have weak cores. There is nothing wrong with wearing a belt if you feel you may need the support. The benefit Max has yeilded by never wearing a belt is he can clean 120kg @75kg, get 120kg overhead, and lower it back to his shoulders, not simply drop it. He can double body weight front squat, and can rack pull and hold 4 x BW....easily.

Maybe he could do more with a belt, but he steadfastly refuses to wear one. We had the same situation with his grip when he started. He refused wraps, and can now hold 320kg easily.

I believe his core is as strong as it is BECAUSE he never wore a belt. His mum wears one, she has a weak core. Annie wears one, she folds in half when she deadlifts.

Big Nick commented that Max NEVER loses his back when he lifts, its lazer flat, no matter what the weight or the exercise.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they dont need a belt. I'm just providing an opposing argument to the one you posted.

For the record, Max has set himself a long term goal. In WPC equipped section, Ed Coan pulled 330kg, its a Junior WR still. Max has 5 years to break that record, he has set his sights on it. The catch is, he wants to break it raw. It has stood for 37 years. He'll pull 230kg pretty soon. That means 20kg a year for 5 years. The hardest part will be keeping his bodyweight down. With the 24 hour weigh in, he can get to 90kg and drop the weight.

I suppose if he does pull 300kg without a belt, it will help our argument, seeing as 220kg hasnt yet.

This post is purely for balance against Alvins.

For the record, Max has set himself a long term goal. In WPC equipped section, Ed Coan pulled 330kg, its a Junior WR still. Max has 5 years to break that record, he has set his sights on it.

Admirable goal!

FWIW, Ed Coan broke his own 82.5kg Junior record in the IPF in 1984 with 347.5kg.

Technically Max shouldn't have to get 330kg to claim the WPC record.
The lift is claimed as a WPC record, but it is actually a American Powerlifting Federation Record. WPC wasn't created until 1986, but it was essentially created by APF, so they carried over the national records. Coan never actually lifted in the WPC, as he was in USAPL/IPF from 1984 to the late 90s.

Great info, thank you very much.

Seeing how we lift in the WPC, we'll have to simply go by there records.

Ed Coan is the greates lifter ever, there would be nothing better than beating an equipped record of his raw.

Getting close would be sensational.

I should mention Matt Middleton lifts in the 75's, he'll pull 260kg at least next week as a junior..................but he wears a belt.

Even if he gets within 10% of Coan to say it would be a massive achievement is an understatement. It would still be an all-time Australian junior deadlift record.

Everything that I have seen of Ed he has worn a belt.

Matty will open on 260 id say and hopefully go 260,270,280 - if he gets 280 prob have a crack at 300.

Then at the deady comp in dec anything is possible.

lol...........I know Ed wears a belt, he lifts equipped, I was joking.

Matty will eventually pull 300kg, but wearing a belt. We are trying proper raw lol

Not sure about that record, but he did wear a belt.

I do know that he lifted sumo. His best sumo deadlift was 410kg ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpRChwpmaM]YouTube - ‪Ed Coan - Deadlift 901 @ 220‬‎[/ame]). His 390kg as a 100kg still an IPF world record. Then he got a groin injury which forced him to switch back to conventional and his numbers were never the same. Had he not got that injury, people say he would have pushed his total even higher.

lol...........I know Ed wears a belt, he lifts equipped, I was joking.

Matty will eventually pull 300kg, but wearing a belt. We are trying proper raw lol

Yea man easy - wouldnt surprise me if he did it next week but we will see on comp day!

Easy at the deady comp in Dec though.

What my lifters are now discovering is how hard it is to stretch injury free lifting years together. As you get stronger, niggles become more common. A few weeks here, a month there, it all adds up and slows progress.

Staying injury free is easiest way to achieve goals. Max hurt his back 9 months ago, got a virus a couple of months ago, all this has set his squat back. He wanted 200kg before Xmas, may still happen, but he's starting to understand how hard it is.

I've got a Titan Toro lever belt and I think its pretty damn awesome. I'll never go back to buckled belts again.

belts

just before you rush out and buy a belt make sure its w p c approved i e width max 10cm,13mm thick max and no padding on the inside inzer lever belts are very good cost approx 100 bucks but will live longer than you .cartage from the states is the killer so try to get what ever you need in the one go or share cartage with a mate who may need one.if you buy a cheap belt that looks like leather you will find its compressed cardboard and will fall apart after some use ,you get what you pay for

The outback PL belt is shit, I broke the buckle on it doing heavy goodmornings lol. They gave me a full refund when I showed them the pictures.

I have a 13mm thick toro now

Attachments

• belt 005.jpg
    belt 005.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 57
must be just a co-incidence these lifters with hurt their backs who never wear a belt?
Konstantinovs is another one of the beltless deadlifting wonders who seems to have an injured back half the time.

Max hurt his back while training to compete in Olympic lifting back in January, which everyone here knows, except for you Paul. Had to sit in the snatch position for 5 seconds.

Deadlifts are sissy compared to snatches, why would you wear a belt for that?

Nick pulled more than you without a belt, you lifted equipped, why not take your belt off if you want to compare conditions for others, same weight class, Nick was a novice.

You know I'm joking so dont sook, but saying Max hurt his back because of no belt then neglecting to point out since then he has set 2 National Deadlift records and will soon hopefully have a WR is misleading.

off track, OP wanted discussion out, I'm out, over it