• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Seven hours the magic number for sleep

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Seven hours the magic number for sleep

PEOPLE who sleep more or fewer than seven hours a day, including naps, are increasing their risk for cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death in the US, a study published today shows. Sleeping fewer than five hours a day, including naps, more than doubles the risk of being diagnosed with angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack or stroke, the study conducted by researchers at West Virginia University's (WVU) faculty of medicine and published in the journal Sleep says.
And sleeping more than seven hours also increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, it says.
Study participants who said they slept nine hours or longer a day were one-and-a-half times more likely than seven-hour sleepers to develop cardiovascular disease, the study found.

Seven hours the magic number for sleep | The Daily Telegraph

If you only sleep 5 hours you are most likely stressed. Most people who sleep 9-10 hours a day may not have done crap all due to laziness (reason they get so much sleep so often). I think a run down of the participants is needed before saying over 7 hours sleep is bad.

Are the people sleeping over 7 hours not as healthy thus their body requires more time to repair so they need to sleep longer...

They have linked an effect as a definite cause. When "sleep" is much likley not the actual problem or risk but what makes them require sleep I.e illness , mitochondrial dysfunction is.
Posted via Mobile Device

i dont know why but regardless of the amount of hours i sleep anywhere from 7-11+ i am ALWAYS tired there isnt really a day go by where im not tired i usualy wake up through the night but not for long periods of time. usualy aim for 9 hours a night on weeknights but could go way more lol and im pretty active always have played sport eat pretty good yada yada

^^^^^ Think too high cortisol then lowering Growth Hormone.. Or something effecting some s3 but mainly s4 sleep (rem) thus effecting GH pulsation.

Cut caffeine..

& Relax more...

i dont know why but regardless of the amount of hours i sleep anywhere from 7-11+ i am ALWAYS tired there isnt really a day go by where im not tired i usualy wake up through the night but not for long periods of time. usualy aim for 9 hours a night on weeknights but could go way more lol and im pretty active always have played sport eat pretty good yada yada

That's a bit like my brother, he's constantly tired. He went to the doctors a few times and was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome. Crazy stuff.

I think the cause is unknown and there is no real treatment, it can be triggered when he is run down or immune system is low. Kind of like Glandular fever I guess? You should see a doctor seeing as fatigue can be related to alot of medical conditions. Just a suggestion, not trying to scare ya ;p.

I think the cause is unknown and there is no real treatment, it can be triggered when he is run down or immune system is low. Kind of like Glandular fever I guess? You should see a doctor seeing as fatigue can be related to alot of medical conditions. Just a suggestion, not trying to scare ya ;p.

Damaged mitochondria is a theory...

Antioxidants alot... really do help... Things like reversatrol.

When you say there is no treatment there is no "medical" treatment where you say take x pill and tomorrow syndrome x is gone...

Doesnt mean there isnt things to do to get better...

Wow, crazy how a couple hours of sleep could double your chances of heart disease...

I'm not very likely to buy into this 'study'. Seems too much like they're suggesting direct cause and effect. I'm inclined to agree with n00bs and dave in saying that theres probably other reasons there is an increased risk of cardiovascular disease in people who sleep for 9 hours.

If they're sick they're going to sleep more, if they're lazy they're going to sleep more. If they dont exercise they may sleep more instead..I wonder what the BMI's are, or the body fat levels of the people who slept 9 hours are...

Extreme long distance runners are insanely fit and they barely sleep because of their high fitness levels. Does that mean they are likely to have cardiovascular problems?

I'm not very likely to buy into this 'study'. Seems too much like they're suggesting direct cause and effect. I'm inclined to agree with n00bs and dave in saying that theres probably other reasons there is an increased risk of cardiovascular disease in people who sleep for 9 hours.

If they're sick they're going to sleep more, if they're lazy they're going to sleep more. If they dont exercise they may sleep more instead..I wonder what the BMI's are, or the body fat levels of the people who slept 9 hours are...

Extreme long distance runners are insanely fit and they barely sleep because of their high fitness levels. Does that mean they are likely to have cardiovascular problems?

Yes to the last point because that shit isnt good for you...

i think the keyword which i mistakenly used was problems. Disease such as high cholesterol etc which I believe most people are assuming as the cardiovascular problems being associated with the study.

OK. We must not confuse cause and effect. There are a number of reasons why less or more may be better for us - and not directly related to sleeping 7 hours.

Much like studies done long term on alcohol consumption. People who average a few drinks tend to have better health than those who don't drink at all or drink too much. Now, is this because alcohol is good for us? (There may be arguments in favour or certain properties of red wine etc - but generally, no, alcohol is not good for us). This is linked more due to the fact that those who drink too much obviously have poorer health related to intake, and those that don't drink at all may already have pre-existing health conditions which prevent them from doing so - or their social and mental health may also be affected, in that they don't drink.

So in effect, those who drink casually may be generally happier, have a stronger social circle - all of which are heavily related to health and longevity. I'd imagine similar cause and effect with regards to the sleep (as Dave mentioned).

I can't get more then eight hours either but I NEED my eight. I've only just recovered from glandular fever and it was the worst. Everyday no matter how much you sleep you wake up like shit. Training was he'll and that's another reason why I decided to take hormones. I'm not sure of the science behind it but with the lower cortisiol and increased absorption of nutrients I for over it quicker then normal. I think what cause it was 4 days weights and 2 days pre season fitness football training along with a late jight here and there and a full work load.
Posted via Mobile Device

i am the same. naturally i sleep about 7 and half hours max. but i do wake up once of twice during the night and find i have to get back to sleep. and i find no matter how long i sleep i am drained, i will start yawning within 10 minutes of waking.

I think the study is a bit silly.

becos it seems a bit damned if you and damned if you dont.

I mean what if you aim to get 7 hrs but always wake after only 6hrs or in some cases 4hrs like Branch Warren (body Building Champ). Or on the other hand cant seem to function well at all if you dont get at least 8 or 9hrs.

This is a good thread, but I think yet another time waisting study published to scare people.

Like Coffee good or bad
Egg yolks good or bad
Red wine good or bad
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.