• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long should you train?

B

bif

Like almost everything else related to bodybuilding, I am finding conflicting advice/instructions about workouts, particularly regarding how long you should train in one session. I read that 45mins is a maximum though often I read about people doing 3 hour workouts. Personally I find that to do 4 days per week I need to work out for about 2 hours to cover all my body parts.

i.e.
Monday
Chest, shoulders, triceps.
Tuesday
Back, biceps, legs/calves
Wednesday
Rest
Thursday/Friday repeat
Sat/Sun off.
(On rest days I do cardio, have a coffee, enjoy life.)

I aim at 4 exercises per body part, (i.e. chest: barbel bench press, cable flys set up high for lower chest, incline db press for upper chest, pec flys) 4 sets at 6-12 reps. 30 second rest between sets, sometimes stretching out to 1-1.5 mins to get my breath if it is a particularly aerobic exercise. Some of the sets I do are drop sets or supersets (i.e. db front raises, side raises, rear delt flys. No rest between, 1 min rest between sets) so that takes a bit of time.

I have been working out for about 10 months now, 4 days per week, and it is fairly consitant 1 hr 45 min to 2 hours to cover everything, including of course setting up weights, putting weights away, water bottle fills, bladder emptying, etc. I try to stay focused, keeping any conversation to rest times or setup times. Bit hard when they are an attractive doe eyed chickybabe.

I have started to take a protein shake 2/3 of the way into each session as I don't want any catabolic stuff happening.

Any suggestions? I have heaps more to ask but will start with this one. Prepare to have your brains picked.

if you can fit your workout into 1hr its good. If you cant, i dont think its that bad. Although 3 hrs seems to be over doing it. Its a long time without eating and it probably means your wasting a lot of time. I tend to get mine done it 1.5hrs