• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Kicking my own arse

dave

Anonymous User
I have been toying with this at the moment, all sprints are 100% effort:

10m sprint
jog back to start
20m sprint
jog back to start
30m sprint
jog back to start
40m sprint
jog back to start
50m sprint
Hit timer for 60 sec rest and walk back to start

Repeat for a total of 3 times then collapse (literally) and rest until you have your breathing under control and do it all again for another 3. So basically it is 3 reps of all of the above, 60 seconds rest between reps equals one set.

At the moment I can do 2 sets before my last 50m sprint is a jog to a 5 min collapse (yep I am not to well conditioned I know). Once I can do 3 sets I will be upping it to 4 reps per set, then attempting to do 3 sets of 5 and so on until I can do 3 sets of 10. Once there I will have to make the reps harder which means adding another sprint to each rep by either adding a 60m, progressively adding another 10m sprint, 20m sprint, 30m sprint etc. The aim here is to make it fairly sport specific so going up to 100m would be fine if you expect to sprint 60-70m in a game for shorter sports adding more shorter sprints would be better. There are so many ways you can modify it to fit different sports, make it harder, easier and you only need 50m or so of space to go and kill yourself and get more conditioned for your sport or just for general conditioning.

I'd walk back. The jog back does nothing but shorten the interval and limit the explosive bit.

Nice work.

You've obviously never seen me jog, some call it power walking. I will give the walks a shot and see how much it differs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm very interesting, im starting sprint training soon and this is my program: · Warm up Before sprints, warm up thoroughly with easy exercise for 5-10 minutes. Perform the same exercise you will be using for your sprints.
· Sprint. Perform your first sprint at about 60 percent max intensity. If you feel any muscle tightness or joint pain, back off and continue to warm up.
· Recover. Recover for 2 minutes by slowing to a comfortable pace, but keep moving. This can be an easy jog or a walk, depending upon your fitness.
· Sprint. Perform your next sprint at about 80 percent max intensity.
· Recover. Recover for 2 minutes.
· Sprint. Perform the remainder of your sprints at 100 percent max intensity or all-out efforts of 30 seconds. You should be pushing yourself to the max for each one.
· Recover. Recover for 2 to 4 minutes after each sprint to allow your breathing and heart rate to slow to the point that you can hold a conversation without gasping.
· Repeat. Repeat the sprint/recovery routine 4-8 times depending upon your level and ability. For your first workout, you will want to stop at 4 sprints.

Gave the walk backs a shot the other day, increased my sprint ability but I didn't get as screwed but that can be put down to some early adaptation as well. I did get in 3 sets of 3 though and was pretty tired by the end of that.

I find this quite interesting.. do you time yourself at all? i'd be interested in the times of difference of times of the 20m sprint or 50m sprint throughout all the sets. I've been taught that the alactic system recovers within 3 mins (not completely) in trained athletes and how far your recovery gets in 60 seconds...
Great workout I bet!

if walking back makes it a bit easier to complete the 3 sets then i'd just add another set. im keen to try something like this soon as well, i just gotta buy some new runners

sounds good! I like doing sprints. I usually do a little circuit like a 20 m sprint, 20 pushups, 20 crunches, walk back slowly. Repeat.

I do sprint training with a pretty knowledgeable guy. He do High knees as some jogging as warm up. Then go to 4 100m sprints. Then do about 4 30m hill sprints (these are a killer). Then do some ladder drills (quick feet). Then finish off with 40m sprint then 20m jog then 40m sprint in a 100m field 4 times. Good program, is a killer. Last couple of sprints there is a lot of lactic acid.

I find this quite interesting.. do you time yourself at all? i'd be interested in the times of difference of times of the 20m sprint or 50m sprint throughout all the sets. I've been taught that the alactic system recovers within 3 mins (not completely) in trained athletes and how far your recovery gets in 60 seconds...
Great workout I bet!

I only time the whole set as one but I did have recordings (iPhone erased it) and did notice significant time difference in the 3, 4th and 5th sets.

Interesting.....

What you could do to make it a bit more sport specific is at around the half way mark of your sprints is move into a different direction. what the he'll am I on about? Observe....

Let's say your doing a 20m sprint (and fir this example your running north), at the 10m mark you'd quickly divert to north east. Very few sports require to change directions at a 45 degree angle. Think about when playing AFL, those guys need to change directions quick and rarely at a tight 45d angle.
Posted via Mobile Device