• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Rack, Barbell, Dumbbell etc suggestions.

Kapow

Hey guys,

Im looking for advice and suggestions on which equipment i should get for a home gym. This is what im looking at getting so far:

Power Rack: MMPR Power Rack
Bench: Flat - not sure on this, is there any difference in them other than their price? I just need one to do my bench press and DB Rows.
Dumbbells: Again not sure what to get, should i get something like this: 120KG Adjustable Dumbbell set_Hammer tone_Standard or would it be better to get olympic handles and using my own weight? Ill be using these for DB Rows.
Barbell: Not sure also, just need a bar to bench, but i really wanna deadlift and squat sometime down the track if my condition gets any better.
Weight plates: Olympic Size Rubber Coated

Thanks

Hieu

If you have the money then get a rack, olympic bar, plates and olympic dumbbells so you only need one set of plates. If not (seeing as you do not barbell squat at the moment and it is not clear if you will in the future) you may be able to just get a solid bench instead of a rack to do the job for you.

Quite a few have just got bars and plates from Wayne at ABC lately, go and have a chat, tell him your from PTC Heui

You know how good the rack is, you've used it.

Adrian(gym direct) and AK both sell really good adjustable incline benches, might be a better purchase than a flat one.

DB's, I got 99% of mine second hand, your on your own there.

Thanks Dave and Markos. I think i will get olympic dumbbells etc as its easier.

I just contacted Wayne at ABC so ill see what he says after :)

Also, i think ill just stick to a flat bench atm, on a budget, ill get what i need now. Ill probably add some kettlebells later down the track also.

Thanks again guys :)

The problem with sharing plates with dumbells is the rubber olympic plates are usually quite large in width and diameter, so (1) you can't fit as many plates on; and (2) if you're relying on 10s to get enough weight onto them, you can't use much ROM, which kind of defeats part of the purpose of using dumbells in the first place. The other problem is you end up needing a shit load of 2.5s and 5s to make up the weight which you don't really need for a barbell set anyway.

I would look at getting iron dumbell sets second hand, then get some rubber matting you can drop them on if need be.

Easy fix, I have Oly handles.

Ivanko 10kg plates are tiny and ABC make very thin 5kg plates.

Nick easily makes an 80kg DB for rows at PTC, with plenty of room left.

Heui weighs about 60kg, wont need 80kg for rows............yet.

I don't even think dumbells are required for a home gym. you can do rows with a barbell.

Kapow is limited in his exercise choice as he has a degenerative arthritic condition of the spine called Ankloysing Spondylitis. So his dumbbell use would be for a lot of leg work as he can not load his spine up and squat with a barbell etc.

Easy fix, I have Oly handles.

Ivanko 10kg plates are tiny and ABC make very thin 5kg plates.

Nick easily makes an 80kg DB for rows at PTC, with plenty of room left.

Heui weighs about 60kg, wont need 80kg for rows............yet.

These are what you want for dumbells.

the problem is if you get oly dumbell handles hoping to share a set of plates like this with your barbell: Olympic Size Rubber Coated

If he cant deadlift, he cant use a trap bar. we tried everything, even a KB, its an awkward one for Heui

Fair enough, I assumed when Dave said Kapow would be using dumbbells for leg work that he was doing a arms by side style squat.

Good luck and well done Kapow with finding ways to train despite your condition.

lol Markos.. you keep spelling my name incorrectly, and for your information i was 60kg last time i saw you 3 months ago, approaching 70kgs now ;)

Ill just grab the handles now, and then if i need tinier plates as markos suggested ill grab em down the track.

Okay, so i sent ABC an email and this is what i got replied with:

Hi Hieu
You are more than welcome to come and have a look in our showroom at the below address, we only open weekdays though. For one of our bars you are looking at $490, a pair of handles cost $175 and the PORE plates are $4.25 a kilo. If you need any more information let me know, also if you can give us an idea when you are planning on coming in would be good as we aren’t a shop as such.
Regards
Christian

Is there any difference with the ABC dumbbell and the one gym direct sells for $100? Pair of Olympic Dumbbell Handle

Sorry about the name Huey, I'll try and get it right.

I havent seen Adrian's handles so I cant comment, pretty hard to bend a handle though lol

Let us know how you go Hewy.

lol Markos, i definitely will.

Okay guys, this is what im looking at getting in the coming week/s.

1 x MMPR Power Rack + Dip Attachment = $660

1 x Flat Bench = $250

1 x Olympic Dumbbell Handles = $99.50

1 x ABC Bar - ~ $490

2 x 25kg = $147.5

2 x 20kg = $118

2 x 15kg = $88.5

2 x 10kg = $59

2 x 5kg = $29.5

2 x 2.5kg = $14.76

2 x 1.25kg = $7.38

Is there anything you guys would change up? One thing im unsure of is, which ABC bar am i supposed to be getting? Australian Barbell Company | Olympic

Now i just need to finalize with my parents and sort out where to put the rack lol

Last edited:
Hi Kapow,

I would change the configuration of weight plates. If you are getting oly DB handles you would be better off getting about 16x 5kg plates. Using anything bigger than 5kg on the DB's really reduces you range of movement.

The other changes I would make are not go an ABC barbell and save some coin. Don't really need to spend that much on a barbell unless you are doing olympic lifts, in which case you should also get some bumper plates.

I would also go with the Force USA power rack over the Muscle motion one. This has some great added features and is much nicer quality. Also comes standard with dip handles so price works out about the same.

Would also get an adjustable bench instead of a flat bench. This will at least give you the option to do the inclines / declines etc. Will probably only be about $50 more for adjustable bench.

Yeah but the thing is, although the Force USA looks like a very nice and sturdy rack, gymdirect offers a 10% discount to us ausbb members + the force USA is priced at $150 more. But yeah, what do others think? Is it worth it? Does anyone here have one?

I have also decided to try and source some second hand plates, because in the end, weights are weights, and im not intending to do any dropping where i would require bumper plates. But yes, ill grab more 5kg plates for the DB's.

Also not sure what to do with the barbell now.. Really i would rather spend the money on a really good barbell which lasts, then buying a cheap one now and then later wanting to grab the ABC.

Thanks for your opinions/suggestions boxsquat.

Last edited:
Stick with the Muscle Motion rack Hewey, its a winner.

You can always add plates later, dont stress, I've collected mine over a long period.

Your original list looks good to me. You'll also find later on you'll add a second bar, it may be a cheaper one then.

The adjustable bench does make sense though, as I said earlier. Adrian has a ripper one, it'll be at PTC shortly.

Stick with the Muscle Motion rack Hewey, its a winner.

You can always add plates later, dont stress, I've collected mine over a long period.

Your original list looks good to me. You'll also find later on you'll add a second bar, it may be a cheaper one then.

The adjustable bench does make sense though, as I said earlier. Adrian has a ripper one, it'll be at PTC shortly.

Finally, its sorted out for me. Also found a place to put the rack etc :D

Thank you Markos. lol :)