• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

advice - critic me and my ketosis way

miss_sarahx

Hi

So basically an overview of me. I am 24, 171cms and 60.2kgs. In the past I am quite active and regular gym'er. I have messed around with different diets, pills, exercise routines etc. Recently I moved from sunny Perth to cold Melbourne and I have found it hard to keep my active lifestyle up, mainly because of the cold and its hard to keep motivated (lame excuse i know)

I am unhappy with my body and my weight. About 2 years ago i was 54-56kgs and ate a low carb diet with low exercise.. After awhile I kicked the low carb and just ate normal and started working out, I then did crossfit and ate zone/paleo for a bit... My fitness was pretty good but i was still unahppy with my body shape and size and weight. Anyway in the last week i have decided to get serious and start my gym work up again and cutting carbs to try and drop 5kgs... My aim is to tone up and lean up! While dropping around 5kgs of body fat.

A quick overview of my diet at the moment,

Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 slice of lean bacon grilled, half an apple.
Snack - raw macadamias, raw walnuts, few roasted almonds.
Lunch - Chicken breast grilled, or another meat grilled with some baby spinach.
Snack - more nuts or lean homemade meat rissoles (garlic, onion, wholegrain mustard, basil, oregano, chili)
Dinner - Steak grilled with onion, mushroom and egg on top with broccolli and baby spinach.
Snack - Peppermint tea and Low Joule/Sugarfree Jelly (if i feel like it)

I have around 2 black coffees in the morning and green tea through the day, also have around 2L of water a day sometimes with sugarfree cordial in it... and I try to have a glass of lemon water in the morning before breakfast.
I was thinking of adjusting my breakfast to be bigger as i get a bit peckish in the morning compared to the afternoons... and I have also been having a diet coke some days which makes me feel bloated? Should i kick it? Will it affect my weight loss?

I am aiming to do 30mins of cardio 5 times a week (cross trainer and rowing machine) with weights 3 times a week.. In the weight sessions I do pull down, pull ups, lunges, leg press, abs. I know i need to work on my weight sessions more as I am a bit stuck as what to do... I am thinking of getting a PT for a bit of help...

At the moment I am in ketosis, I only got in there a day ago... At first i was eating too many nuts and had to cut back as i think this was kicking me out of ketosis... (i check with ketosticks) I am a big wine drinker, i LOVE dry white wine.. So i am going to try and kick that as well - one for the calorie intake - two for the ketosis - and three because it will be healthier for me and help me loose weight.

Any help or suggestions you guys have would be great...

Ok Ketosis sucks, really. It makes you mentally and physically slower for a minimal benefit, you can not work out as hard and lose physical ability because of it. It can also makes your breath stink. So if I were you I would get out of it and just make sure you are not overeating carbs and get into some consistent exercise. Crossfit would be good if you liked it, some weight training and sprinting. You do not have to go too heavy 8-15 reps would be fine with low rest periods, just work hard and rest then work hard again. Keep away from the endurance cardio work as it will help you lose weight but you will not be too much lower in body fat and just look the same.

Gday Sarah, I posted in your boyfriends thread about you.

Ketosis is okay but not for extended periods. You seem quite knowledgable, which is good.

For starters, I'm going to say that a fit girl training with those stats, your fine, but I think its great you want to get better. Dont let ANYBODY tell you how you should look.

In regards to diet, any weight loss should be attacked with vigor for short bursts, like 2 weeks. After that, return to a well balanced diet that doesnt exclude natural food. Your not a large girl, so you have less fat to lose. Obese people need to learn discipline first.

I experimented a lot with ketogenic diets, since the mid 90's, and found them okay to get people looking good at the last minute, for a high school reunion or something.

If you have plenty of time, lean protein, fruit and vegetables is the answer. Every couple of months, attempt BodyOpus or something, but short term only.

Wine will be your biggest issue, but you know this.

As far as training goes, you dont need to do heavy squats etc, but squatting will give you the booty most girls want, unless you want to look like a 9yo boy. Even squatting with 30kg, as long as there rock bottom, for sets of 20-30, will do the job, as will SLDL and lots of DB work for your upperbody.

I have a stack of girls training at PTC, and while some compete at powerlifting, the majority dont. One thing they have in common is they all want to look great. So while the core of there training involves 4-5 heavy sets, the rest is lunges and kettlebell work.

You also wont get big lifting heavy weights if you dont eat a surpluss of calories. Vicki is 38 and 57kg. She has a few powerlifting National Records, and she is still the same weight she was when she started with me, a total novice nearly 2 years ago. All girls that have started PL have got lighter, without exception. Annie dropped from 95kg to 71kg at 180cm tall.

Good luck in your journey.

Thank you for the advice :)

I guess its all stuff i know already, i just want it to start working and i need to learn self discipline...

This weekend looks like i need to cut the wine, avoid any treats and keep focused on training... Still eating under 20grams of carbs a day and the boyfriend got me some green tea tablets and L-carnitine to take so will see how that goes.

Training sucks at my gym, too many muscle head men who intimidate me... i never know what to do and get shy. I know i need to do free weights, squats, lunges, push ups, dips... I also wanna start doing some flat bar work that i learnt from my crossfit days but its just hard to get passed the muscle dudes... hehe. :cool:

Your diet is pretty spot on, which is a good thing, I think you should try and overcome your shyness and start hitting the weights, do lots of compound exercises with light weights but very short rest periods, that way you are smashing your muscles AND getting a cardio workout too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I go to fitness first on chapel street :)
but yeah I've decided to let myself have fruit in the morning cause i was feeling run down and I figure an apple at breaky will more good then harm...?
You guys heard much on paleo nutrition and Robb Wolf ??
Posted via Mobile Device

The meat, leaves and berries diet is a brilliant diet, but its not for everyone.

Different bodytypes need different diets.

Good on you for having the apple.

FF is NOT a hardcore gym sorry lol, I have a couple of clients who go there once a week as they work/live nearby, then train with me on weekends.

Agreed it's not for everyone... I just try to eat as natural as possible...

Haha it was good, funny how an apple is sooo tasty and so satisfying :)

nah not hardcore, just intimidating to me to do weights when there are 15 dudes doing weights in the weights area and I don't feel confident with my form and what weights i do... I'm shy :( haha

what training do you do at your gym? Oly lifting?
Posted via Mobile Device

You could always train at home, or find another gym preferably a womens only one with ample free weights :D

You will find most guys who are really there to train lifting heavy are concentrating on their on lifts so do not worry about them. It is the guys doing 100 sets of 20kg curls that you need to worry about, mainly as they may just ogle you (try to hit on you) through their whole workout, they are the ones there just for social show off reasons.

Dont let the guys ruin your fun, I have guys and girls train together every session, the girls hold their own.

Back on this bodyweight thing. I have a girl training at PTC, she is a member on here. She has got a body that has every guy and girl commenting. She is a little over 170cm, she is 20 years old. She is a good advertisement for women lifting weights, very femminine, and strong.

She weighs 72kg. She's going to hate me posting that up.

Most women would have a heart attack weighing that much, and most guys would have a heart attack if their girlfriend looked like her.

Dont worry about the scales.

I think I might buy some dumbells to have at home so if I can't get what I want done at the gym I can do stuff at home too.

I used to be fine at my old gym, I just need to work up some confidence I think... Maybe a few personal training sesh's will help me.

Wow that's insane? I'm the same though if I get above 60 I freaak!! I hate it! I just really have to focus on my diet, the past bulimia junk messes with my head and I go mental so I really need to learn discipline and promise myself ...
Posted via Mobile Device

The mirror paints a more accurate picture than the scales.

This girl deadlifts 140kg, squats 80kg absolute rock bottom and benches 60kg.

She has been training with me for about a year. She does some of my KB cardio complexes at the end of each session. She trains on Mondays and Wednesday's currently

She was very soft when she started. She still goes out and drinks, she has simply moderated her lifestyle. Shes still a young girl and wants/needs to have fun, some people forget that.

Because she is not the only girl in the gym lifting weights, she's not intimidated, plus she can lift as much as some guys at PTC, most guys elsewhere. Because I have a wife and 3 daughters, NO ONE gives girls a hard time at PTC .....EVER.

whats her name if you dont mind me asking.. i wouldnt mind having a look at her and having a talk to her about what she eats and how she works out etc...
im keen to make friends with chicks and talk to chicks are actually interested in fitness... alot of my friends arent interested in fitness at all which makes it hard to keep motivated, focused and talk about :)

lol.....she trains as I tell her too. Tonight she did squats, BB incline press, Ukrainian Deadlifts, DB curl to shoulder press. She then finished with a KB complex, doing Thrusters with 8kg KB's, swings with 16kg KB and Cannonballs with 16kg KB.

I asked her how much she currently weighs, its 74kg

Her name is Brittany, she doesnt post much

On our youtube channel you can see her doing a 140kg deadlift.

she sounds fit!
i could only ever get a 100kg DL so good work!!
my problem is i weighed myself today. 2kgs up!!!! WTF? i havent eaten barely any carbs and only had tiny amounts of fruit and i have veggies and meat and been in ketosis
i dont get it why i have put on weight? the boy recons its cos i did some weights and im building muscle again but i feel bloated? i think its dairy... maybe i cant eat that?
im struggling

The boy is an idiot......I'm only joking.

But seriously. Two kilograms of muscle requires 8000 calories from protein.

That means you need to have ingested 2000gms of protein, but wait, 30% of the protein we eat gets used for digestion, which is why its near impossible to get fat eating protein, so to be left with 2000gms of protein to build 2kg of muscle, you would need to eat 3300gms of protein, or 13,200 calories worth of protein.

Any chance its 2kg of muscle?????????????????

Okay good point and good info.
So how am I putting on weight then?? I have been eating low carb and exercising?!?
I haven't had any junk or crap for
weeks and I just don't knowww!!! Arghhhh!
I'm thinking of trying a diretic to see if I'm retaining excess fluid an there fore causing me to feel bloated etc... There's a few supp's that claim to expel fluid
but stop your cells from becomming dehydrated??
Posted via Mobile Device