• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pain just below the knee?

Azz

I've been getting pain below the knee, ontop of the tibia (right leg). It sometimes hurts to touch and I've noticed that there is an actual lump there, where there is not on the left leg. (Lump isn't too big)

I used to do alot of longjump up until I was 16-17, back then I remember having the pain too. So a couple years later after a break from it (19 y/o now) I am getting back into LJ and noticed the pain is still there? Although the pain can be on and off...

Does anyone know what this is, and if it can become serious? I'm thinking it's something along the lines of my epiphyseal plate being stressed due to jumping and growing? Also my right leg is my jumping leg for LJ...

Thanks.

You sound like you had a classic case of Osgood Schlatters syndrome. Go see a physio, it should not be affecting you now (its a young kids injury) but some people can still get pains when they are older. You could also have a tendon weakness which through the new inclusion of jumping is leading to jumpers knee. You may need to slowly work in your jump work after a little rest to make sure it heals properly. Get it checked and lay off the jumping until you do.

You sound like you had a classic case of Osgood Schlatters syndrome. Go see a physio, it should not be affecting you now (its a young kids injury) but some people can still get pains when they are older. You could also have a tendon weakness which through the new inclusion of jumping is leading to jumpers knee. You may need to slowly work in your jump work after a little rest to make sure it heals properly. Get it checked and lay off the jumping until you do.

Yeah I'll get it checked out by a physio. I haven't actually done any specific jump training since I've started back training, I'm only working on general fitness at the moment.

Just frustrating after having so long off to come back into it with the same problem :p, I just read that the best thing for it is rest =l, sigh.. Thank you Dave.

sounds like this. Osgood or jumper's knee (ie patellar tendonitis).

I've had the latter on/off. Super sensitive to touch - feels like bad bruising on the tibia with some noticeable swelling. Anti-inflams didn't really help. lIce has basically fixed it - 20 minutes on/off. It started during a bad squat where I got a bit too much onto my toes on the left side.

Yeah that's definitly what it would be then, I'll see if icing helps. I strained my hamstring the other day too, an old injury flaring up again. I guess I need to take if easy for a bit, no point in making things worse before I even get fully back into it. Injuries suck =\

In my case I took 2 weeks off squatting, then iced every day during the break, came back light and will build up again slowly, icing after training only. Still a bit sore but nothing more than a niggle.

But it would pay to see someone while the injury is fresh as it usually helps them diagnose the problem.

I know a fellow that wore kono bands, he had similar issues.

The bands lock in the heat and keep the joints warm to a point where there was a lot of perspiration.
Something to consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know a fellow that wore kono bands, he had similar issues.

The bands lock in the heat and keep the joints warm to a point where there was a lot of perspiration.
Something to consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know of a few people that swear by kono/rehband sleeves that have made patellar tendonitis / other anterior knee pain go away.

I've considered getting them too.

The other thing that seems to increase the risk of knee tendonitis with squatting is heeled shoes - makes the knees sit more forward / you sit back less than with flat soled shoes.

A lot of people swear by knee bands to add pressure on your patella tendon and reduce the pain and decrease further incidence of injury. I suppose it could not hurt to try any of these out. If it helps its great if not you wasted a little money.

The knee is a complex structure if there is a weakness the squat exposes it.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is true, and not just of the knee!

I'm surviving ok at the moment and hadn't previously had any problem with the patellar tendon (did used to have the occasional quadriceps tendon / top of knee pain) but if it flares up again I will be training out knee sleeves.

Who knows, mate. Sounds like you should see a sports physiotherapist.

^ Thanks, but I'm pretty sure you just copy and pasted Dave's previous post lol.

I started reading it and went 'this sounds familiar' scrolled down and reread my post then noticed why. Copying is a great form of flattery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep definitely a classic case of Osgood Schlatters syndrome. That should have been obvious to all. Could be a tendon weakness though, better see a physio.

If anyone else has any rehab questions just pm me. I'll do a search of Dave's posts and get back quick.