• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Upper Thoracic Back Ligament Injury

Paullie

Ive been suffering from what has been diagnosed as a ligament injury in my upper back.

I have had an x-ray to confirm that this is a soft tissue injury as well.

Originally it was quite painful, with some physio I got to a point where I was prety much pain free, then last week, I must have aggrivated it, because I was in pain (7/10).

On the weekend I iced it up as much as I possibly could, with anti inflammatories and food food food. Feels much much better, but sitting here at work Im a bit sore (3/10) with a stiff neck.

Has anyone had experience with this type of injury and what things I can do to really progress the reovery.

Things Im doing:

1. Ice packs and anti inflammatories.
2. Upper back and neck stretching.
3. Calorie intake up with as much protein as possible.
4. Remain exercising, isolating injury.

Thanks.

Go to a physio that does not just do manual work on you and provides a rehab program and follow that to a tee. Then get reassessed before going further, follow their instructions and if they say no weights for a period of time then do exactly what they say. Make sure it is a good physio (they will thoroughly assess you, provide you with a rehab program and do manual work). Ice it up for now make sure you have some fish oil and are eating lots of fruit and veg. Limit stretching for now until you do not have a constant pain. Work on your posture so your ligament is not in a stretched and weakened position.

Which ligament was it by the way?
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont remember he name of the ligament the Physio sprouted, it was never confirmed by CT etc. anyway. Only an xray was use to rule out bone/disc injury.

I did see a physio for 4 weeks. He did massage, manipulation, needles etc. He didnt give me any program to follow. Just asked me to isolate the upper back if I chose to keep lifting. He used to window tape me as well.

Im on fish oil, glucosmine, protein, glutamine, multi-vit, probiotics, sometimes magnesium. Oh and the anti-inflamm of course.

Get a new physio it seems like he just wanted you to keep coming back, a problem with the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anti inflams are not something you want to be on long term...

Make sure you findsomeone good..

try Natural therapies pages... There is a post for the link in the wellbeing section or google it.

Yer I know, Im only going to stay on them for a few more days, thats it.

Ill look up some natural therapies too.

Well there didnt seem to be any one particular lift that did it, thats what is frustrating me a bit.

Although I do remember a squat I performed the week before the CAPO states in WA, had 140kg on the bar, came out of the hole badly, on my left toes, causing me to force the bar up using my back a lot more than usual, I got the weigh up, but yer, I still believe it was over exertion on that squat, in terms of too much upper back forces.

MRI Results
========

There is no compression fracture identified. There is no oedema seen within vertebrae to suggest a fracture.

There is no disc bulge, protrusion nor extrusion identified.

There is no significant canal stenosis.

There is no significant foraminal stenosis.

The thoracic cord appears within normal limits. The conus is identified at the L1 level.

No paravertebral mass lesion is seen.

No significant abnormality of the thoracic spine has been identified.

Obviously extremely good results, in fact Im wrapped. Although there still the issue with why my back hurts? ... all down to posture says the Sport Doc, and I accept that.

I've got an extension to this prognosis, muscle imbalances, which is definately related to posture.

I have Physio tomorrow so we are going to work out what I need to do to start correcting these issues.

I dont remember he name of the ligament the Physio sprouted, it was never confirmed by CT etc. anyway. Only an xray was use to rule out bone/disc injury.

I did see a physio for 4 weeks. He did massage, manipulation, needles etc. He didnt give me any program to follow. Just asked me to isolate the upper back if I chose to keep lifting. He used to window tape me as well.

Im on fish oil, glucosmine, protein, glutamine, multi-vit, probiotics, sometimes magnesium. Oh and the anti-inflamm of course.
Get a new physio it seems like he just wanted you to keep coming back, a problem with the industry.

Actually hes been excellent.

He did the right thing by giving the treatment time before forwarding the case to a doctor, whom then gave me an mri.

Post MRI treatment has been excellent and because of my progress has reduced my appointments which we originally expected.

Im getting a LOT better now that we have identified the issues.

I was back to 100% lifting post MRI.

I have a few mobility issues still, but that will take time.

Posted via Mobile Device

????????????

Second time I've seen someone reproduce Dave's work. Get a copyright lawyer PS Dave.

With those big balls you've got I doubt they would feel like they have the balls to say anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

hahaha, i know a good IP lawyer, except she'll try to keep you going back, a problem with the industry.

Thought Id update this thread with progress in recovery.

To be honest its been up and down, but progressing.

Sometimes I still get sore whilst sitting, and my upper back/neck cracks and clicks, but nothing like it used to be.

All my lifting is 100% except Im not loading the squat bar up. Currently up to 87.5kg x 10 and x 20. About 4-5 weeks ago I loaded it up with 110kg, squatted 3x5 easily, but on my last set felt a strain, was sore for quite a few days till it started getting better.

Something tell me its going to be quite a while till I am 100%, perhaps 6-12 months.

The MRI was all clear and the doctor said all ligaments were healed so I'm not sure what I felt, and Im told what I still feel is related to mobility and posture.

I did read somewhere that if a ligament is stretched, it can cuase the bones to crack because they arnt being held in position as tightly, it does feel like this, but doc. says all ligaments healed...

Overall its getting better, which is good, could just take some time.