• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats and knees?

roidsuck

Hey guys i'm just curious as to what kind of pressure is put on your knees when performing squats? Sometimes my knee ( either one ) will make this weird crackle suction sound and bloody hurt when a bend down in certain positions...So....Basically are squats fairly safe? I mean theres a fair bit weight being put on them.

Cheers, Barnesy,

Squats are safe as long as you are squatting properly. If you have a knee issue you should get it checked out first anyway as any exercise could injure it more if it is a serious issue.

Remember the a squat isnt a knee bend - you 'sit back', as if you were going to take a shit on the toilet. The movement comes from your hips, not your knees.

Sometimes my knee ( either one ) will make this weird crackle suction sound and bloody hurt when a bend down in certain positions...
Cheers, Barnesy,

Well Barnesy, just don't bend down in that certain position that is causing you some grief. I've never met an Olympic weightlifter who thought squats were an unsafe exercise or even causing an injury to a knee...never!

When you see all the bandages wrapped around a weightlifter's knees, it's to give support to the patella tendon when it get smashed / hammered during a heavy clean which by necessity of its action (bouncing), increases the pressure placed on the knees many times over (in comparison to a steady state controlled squat).

Fadi.

Dave, being well-educated, is of course right.

Well-performed squats will be good for knees which are healthy to begin with, strengthening the muscles around the knees, taking pressure off ligaments and so on.

Cracking sounds are not necessarily indicators that injury is about to happen, or the movement is dangerous. That's just human bodies, there are so many tendons and so on crossing each-other and jostling for space next to each-other that all sorts of bits and pieces can be sliding over each-other making funny noises. So that's not a concern.

Pain is a concern, especially if it's pain which comes consistently with a particular movement, or which remains day-to-day. If that's the case, you should definitely see a sports physiotherapist.

Odd little aches and pains that come and go and are not associated with particular movements, this is what people have when they're sedentary, when they spend more time sitting on their bums in front of computer or tv screens than they spend up on their feet and doing physical stuff. Many people find that these odd little aches and pains with no consistent cause entirely disappear once they're physically active.

Dave, being well-educated, is of course right.

Well-performed squats will be good for knees which are healthy to begin with, strengthening the muscles around the knees, taking pressure off ligaments and so on.

Cracking sounds are not necessarily indicators that injury is about to happen, or the movement is dangerous. That's just human bodies, there are so many tendons and so on crossing each-other and jostling for space next to each-other that all sorts of bits and pieces can be sliding over each-other making funny noises. So that's not a concern.

Pain is a concern, especially if it's pain which comes consistently with a particular movement, or which remains day-to-day. If that's the case, you should definitely see a sports physiotherapist.

Odd little aches and pains that come and go and are not associated with particular movements, this is what people have when they're sedentary, when they spend more time sitting on their bums in front of computer or tv screens than they spend up on their feet and doing physical stuff. Many people find that these odd little aches and pains with no consistent cause entirely disappear once they're physically active.

It only hurts every now and then. And i just thought ( stupid me ) I work 30 hours a week at a coles DC order picking witch involves bending over and bending my knees up to 800 times a day! God i'm stupid:rolleyes:

With that sort of job, there's a fair chance you've some kind of muscle imbalances, joint stresses and so on. Weight training can help a lot with these issues, but be careful and use correct form, don't be afraid to ask gym staff or experienced lifters to help you.

And obviously, if things keep hurting or pain restricts movement, see a physio.

Cracking noises could be many things, but pain is the biggest issue. It could be a ligament issue, or meniscus injury or even cartilage damage exposing the sensitive bone underneath (basically arthritis). Since you have pain it would be best to get an assessment done lifting heavy just to rule out serious issues. If it is a minor issue strength training properly will help alleviate the issue along with some stretching and mobility work.

are squats like leg pressers
In a word: no!

Squats bring many muscles into play and the most important of these muscles are your core muscles. Without strong core muscles injuries and less than optimal lifting would be your constant friends.

Fadi.

In a word: no!

Squats bring many muscles into play and the most important of these muscles are your core muscles. Without strong core muscles injuries and less than optimal lifting would be your constant friends.

Fadi.

Did you do them fadi maybe I should do them why did you get injured if you did them

Did you do them fadi maybe I should do them why did you get injured if you did them

Max, please re read my reply in reply #4 (I brought it below for your convenience):

Well Barnesy, just don't bend down in that certain position that is causing you some grief. I've never met an Olympic weightlifter who thought squats were an unsafe exercise or even causing an injury to a knee...never!

When you see all the bandages wrapped around a weightlifter's knees, it's to give support to the patella tendon when it get smashed / hammered during a heavy clean which by necessity of its action (bouncing), increases the pressure placed on the knees many times over (in comparison to a steady state controlled squat).

Now although in the above I stated one way a knee can get injured, I never said mine was. So I'm not sure to what you were alluding to when you asked:
why did you get injured if you did them

Max, I not only did them, but I did them in a direct way no less than 5x a week where 3 and sometimes 4 of these occasions I did them in front instead of back, which by the way shifts the emphasis on the quads and knees away from the back and butt.

Indirectly I did them no less than 30x a week. I'm 45 next month and my knees are good as gold (thank you God). My left shoulder is killing me right now but that's not from all the above head jerking, pressing, power jerking, push pressing, jerk and snatch balance etc, but because on the 17th of October, 2009 I had a nasty fall down the stairs at home. Sorry for digressing Sir but it's good to know that most elite athletes usually injure themselves when least expected!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi I suspect maxpower is a troll as he has been posting some useless posts all over the forum. Don't waste your time.
Posted via Mobile Device

didnt somebody post up a complete guide or something about squats that even laymen can read. find it using the search tool if you are interested on the basics of proper squat movements.