• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rest time between intense cardio sets

Dancelot

I'm currently doing some cardio after a weight session, like: burpees, Tabata thrusters, box jumps and barbell complexes.

Except for the Tabata sets, I rest for 60 seconds between sets.

Is this about right or should I adjust it?

Aiming for fitness plus some extra fat burn.

What kind of structure do you have with your box jumps? I've always wanted to give them a go!
One minute is a good starting point but defo drop it down as you start to adapt and keep them brief as possible imo.

There are 3 boxes at my gym. I use the two lower ones for warmups, then do a few sets on the highest one (3x10 so far). I want a higher box though. I treat it the same as a weight exercise: more reps, more sets or more weight / height.

I'm not sure how much I should drop on the rest time, because I can always use heavier weights in the Thrusters and barbell complexes if it starts to get easy.

How long is a set for you?

I go by time if you are going flat out. 50 seconds for 10 seconds, 60 seconds for 30 seconds, 90 seconds for 45 seconds. Then I drop down rest periods or increase work periods (or rep numbers in your case). That will increase your conditioning. Increasing the box height each session is more of a strength training exercise as you are working at high power outputs, unless you are doing quite submaximal jumps.

Last edited:
Tabata sets are 20 seconds, the rest are between 1-2.5 mins.

Good point about the box jumps.

Thanks dave.

If it was me ,i would prefer to do 1min of each with 30secs rest in between,so

1min box jumps
30 secs rest
1min burpees
30 secs rest
and so on

It all depends on your conditioning too, Chris would be in much better condition than me as he so his starting points for rest periods would be lower. Are you going all out for each set?

Dave , ever thought about going the other way?

I'd keep rest periods to a minium, but just work on doing more burpees/box jumps per miniute!!

I understand your point that obviously there are different levels of fitness, but if your not going all out for the miniute its not hiit, and your not going to benifit as much.

Id be inclined (and its how i train my boxers) to do as much as you can IN your set time with minimal rest , and then try and do more next time.

Thats what I do Chris, I am just talking about rest periods only as that is all dancelot was asking about (I did touch upon it for him though but from his post I assumed he had it covered as he was increasing his work load each time).

I go all out in all of my sets - although my level of "all out" can be quite embarrassing. :p

Id be inclined (and its how i train my boxers) to do as much as you can IN your set time with minimal rest , and then try and do more next time.

Thanks Chris, I'll go with that then.

I'll keep the same weights & reps for my cardio sets and reduce rest time slowly (10 sec at a time) from 60secs to 30. When it's down to 30s, I'll start adding reps or weights.

Its ok Chris, I didn't add much of that info in so I understand where you were coming from.