• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bad lower back pain

gtrb26dett

I worked out two days ago and ever since my lower back is killing me.. It feels extremely tight and its like it will not relax. It hurts to bend over and to bend to side to side.

I got a deep tissue massage today and it was so painful I felt like I was going to be sick

What can I do? What could it be?

Please go and see a physiotherapist since something like this need a hands on. We could tell you to do this or to do that and that would/could only make matters worse for you.

Also be aware that you will be sorer after the massage than you were before you had it. Please trust what I'm saying to you right now since I'm in the same position as you're finding yourself in as I write you these words. I've got a pulled hamstring muscle which is making walking, sleeping, and seating very difficult indeed. So please, go and see a professional ASAP as I have.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Mate you've obviously put yourself into a compromising position and the body has tightened up to protect the spine leaving you with the pain you're feeling now.
I agree with Fadi, but would suggest leaving it a few days until this period of inflammation has settled and physical manipulation can take place.

As a massage therapist it is so frustrating having people book in for a treatment for a bad back when they struggle to get out of bed as it is. One client was unable to even lie on the table it was so painful, so, take some anti-inflammatorys, avoid anything that will aggravate this problem, and get some good rest (I always find the fetal position somewhat relieving with back problems.).
Bending over can be a few areas playing up but side to side is QL territory, and those ****ers hurt getting released! (btw, if you feel the pressure is too much or will/can make you sick then make sure to speak up and the let therapist know!)

Last edited:
Well I could lay down to get a massage and I didn't complain just sucked it up. Today it is a lot better have put a herbal heat pack on it. I keep moving it, I have only taken something for about half an hour. I hate taking pain killers I just prefer to put up with it.. Yes I know I'm weird.

I see my physio on Monday but I think it was my body going into shock due to lack of working out. I guess no pain no gain...

I had the worst sleep but its 100 times better to day

I dont think its worth starting a new thread, but i feel as though i have done something similar tonight. It hurts to lean forward and it hurt heaps loading and unloading the bar.

Question i have, is how long would you need to rest in order for something like this to be alright again.

Going to try book a physio tomorrow.

I think your tightness in your hamstrings and most likely a hip flexor tightness may be contributing to your lower back injury. If you go to a physio make sure they do a postural analysis on you and ask about excessive lordosis, tight hip flexors and hamstrings and tinder if your calves are tight.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think your tightness in your hamstrings and most likely a hip flexor tightness may be contributing to your lower back injury. If you go to a physio make sure they do a postural analysis on you and ask about excessive lordosis, tight hip flexors and hamstrings and tinder if your calves are tight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah i was going to chime in and say possibility of tight hip flexors

If mine flares up it usually takes a week before i can do any non back work, and two - three weeks before i can hit a back workout again.. if you go to a dr he can give you some tablets that are an anti inflamatory targeting lower back/muscles.

Warm helps..

once the pain goes, I would start stretching, daily after / during a hot shower.

I dont think its worth starting a new thread, but i feel as though i have done something similar tonight. It hurts to lean forward and it hurt heaps loading and unloading the bar.

Question i have, is how long would you need to rest in order for something like this to be alright again.

Going to try book a physio tomorrow.

If you can walk you'll be ok, in the meantime focus on upper-body, not much a physio can do except take your $, walk it out for the two weeks then re-asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can walk you'll be ok, in the meantime focus on upper-body, not much a physio can do except take your $, walk it out for the two weeks then re-asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks mate that's what i reckon i will do.

I was stressing out thinking it was something more serious but woke up the next day and had hardly any pain. If it was something more serious i imagine it would be hurting still.

Giving it 100% rest for a month and only doing upper body and then will re-asses. Going insane at the moment not being able to to squats though lol.

Thanks for the advice/reassurance.:)

Take some anti inflams for pain.

Rest it for a few days. Reasses.

Stretch hammys and hip flexors regularly.

Do standing hand on hip back bends. 5 sets of 10per day.

Strengthen your back and core when you are back at 100% with front squats, ab roll outs, and if you can get someone to instruct you correctly good mornings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks mate that's what i reckon i will do.

I was stressing out thinking it was something more serious but woke up the next day and had hardly any pain. If it was something more serious i imagine it would be hurting still.

Giving it 100% rest for a month and only doing upper body and then will re-asses. Going insane at the moment not being able to to squats though lol.

Thanks for the advice/reassurance.:)

No worries.
Body-weight squat if you can, sets of 20.
A fast paced walk after you weights will do the trick.
Posted via Mobile Device