• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glute work

moons

I don't tend to feel my glutes after a regular squat/deadlift workout. If I do a max day I might, max deadlifts I usually do.

Anyway I would like to work on getting them active, as I am assuming they are not contributing as much as they should be.

From the deadlifting thread I saw the barbell hip thrusts and I will give them a go. Any other suggestions? I've got a barbell, bench and a rack, nothing fancy. Old protein tubs for box work in a pinch, although dunno how much weight they'd hold :D

So yeah. Help my ass feel sore without bending over at the cross.

Edit: Perhaps a set or two of paused squats after my regular sets?

Currently do back squats / front squats / good mornings on squat day.

Last edited:
You are going ass to grass right? I am sure you are.

Start with glute bridges for some glute activation work. High reps, isometric holds. Then work in the hip thrusts. It is the same as the glute bridge just with weight. A lot of people have an ass problem, especially if you notice you have a fair bit of lordosis going on in the lumbar spine. Also more powerful sex is good too :D :D :D

When the knee is more flexed the ass takes over more hip extension, basically use that in your thinking to involve your ass more.

After suffering a hip/low back injury, I was identified with a glute activation issue (by my physio who is a biomechanics expert and high level athletics/AFL strength coach). I never felt squat or deadlift workouts in my glutes, now I do and I believe the problem is completely resolved.

I did no heavy assistance work, I just used activation exercises. Once activated, I reset all my squats and deadlifts and work on ensuring I was using hip drive all the time (ie staying on my heels in squats, thinking about driving my hips forward from the floor with deadlifts), and the glutes caught up by themselves.

The activation drills I was given were:

Glute bridges (bodyweight), 3 sets of 10
Prone single leg heel lifts (with knee at 90' degrees), 3 sets of 10 each side

Every day for 6 months.:eek:

Once I got stronger, I started doing single leg glute bridges.

The important thing is not worrying about how difficult the exercise is - they are simple - the focus is on doing these exercises properly so you don't use your low back, quads or hamstrings to do the work. You must use your glutes. Clenching your butt and pausing for 3 seconds at the top of the activation exercises can help.

Here's a really good article on the topic:

TMUSCLE.com | Dispelling the Glute Myth

I didn't do the hypertrophy phases etc. In 3-6 months got a very noticeable hypertrophy and strength increase in my glutes just from combining the activation drills with powerlifting.

No excessive lordosis.

Not getting any either, so my awesome behind is purely for lifting haha.

Will throw in some glute bridges after deadlift day today, thanks mate.

Edit: Thanks strong enough, will give the article a read.

activation drills are good for before deadlifts as well, provided you don't do too many. One set of 10 is probably enough. It's important to reset weights when you do this, because you need to ingrain a new motor pattern. The closer you lift to 100%, the more your body will go into "fight or flight" mode and reinforce your old motor pattern.

Why do you find it necessary to "feel" your glutes? Unless you have identified them as a specific weakness (not assuming) I don't see any reason to focus on them.
Testing your firing pattern will help with seeing where the glutes are at and even then one of the best things you can do is keep them tensed tight all day as if you were holding a 20c piece in between. Use this a lot with league players to even out the workload and take some of the extra brunt off the hamstrings.

I just want to figure out if they are a problem or not.

If they are - I've identified it and can work on it

If they aren't - I can keep going business as usual

I don't see the downside to putting a bit of glute work in, though. Even if I simply add it to my training rather than replacing front squats, I'm still only doing 4 exercises.

End of the day I want to hit 200 in the squat by the end of the year, this is a fair hike from where I am currently and I would like to cover all my bases.

i guy at our gym called Paul pulled 330 and the only glute work he did was getting his butt reamed at the blue oyster bar every sat night

You probably do not have a problem but hip extension exercises for assistance work never hurt. If you had an increased lordotic curve then you may have inactive/weak glutes (along with abs) and if you had tight hamstrings your squat depth could have been compromised.

We dont do direct glute work, but we do an exercise called Ukrainian Deadlifts, which has people unable to sit for a few minutes upon completion.

we only do it for high reps - over 20, we use 2 x 30cm blocks and a 64kg KB.
Some guys have done over 50 consecutive reps, some girls have over 25.

We dont do direct glute work, but we do an exercise called Ukrainian Deadlifts, which has people unable to sit for a few minutes upon completion.

we only do it for high reps - over 20, we use 2 x 30cm blocks and a 64kg KB.
Some guys have done over 50 consecutive reps, some girls have over 25.

I just googled these. They look potentially brutal.:) Question though, most of the videos seem to be using a fairly round back technique which makes it look more like a low back exercise, do you have your guys using a straight back (making it more like a goblet squat) as I imagine this would hit the glutes harder?

Everyone is different. Some do a full rock bottom squat, some do it still leg, most are in between. Some round the back as the handle is beneath the feet, most keep it flat.

the line of pull is very safe as the KB runs between the knees rather than around.This makes it great for high reps in my opinion.

Obviously we have had great success with this movement.

All complain about ass pain though.

Oh the arse pain hahaha.
I love udl's. Their a ripper exercise. My best rep max is 42!
I think I owe my deadlift to these suckers. Everybody that trains with me does them. NO exceptions :).