• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

loss of speed?

B

badzie

hey guys, ive been doing a program similar to rippetoes for about 3 or 4 months. i play aussie rules footy and pre season i was fit and pretty fast, i have foty training twice a week, since ive been lifting weights solidly (3x a week) a feel like ive gotten slower and less fit and my legs are generally sore everyday. could getting slower be related to lifting heavy weights or another reason?

Sore everyday is the thing that stands out most to me. How are you sore?

If you are doing starting strength then you should be getting more powerful, as you are training two days a week for footy (sprinting hopefully) you should be getting faster.

Starting Strength is a brutal program meant to make noobs stronger - it was never intended to work in conjunction with sport, more of an off season cycle. You're fatigued, thats pretty normal of a football player who doesnt eat enough.

My suggestions would be to run Rippetoes how most rugby players traditionally train (x2 a week with weights and x2 a week training and competition). Eg:

Sunday: Rest
Monday: Workout A
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Football training
Thursday: Workout B
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Game day

Sore everyday is the thing that stands out most to me. How are you sore?

If you are doing starting strength then you should be getting more powerful, as you are training two days a week for footy (sprinting hopefully) you should be getting faster.
the soreness is mainly due to squats, so glutes and quads.

my week looks like this.
sunday:rest
monday:workout A
tuesday:footy training
wednesday: workout B
thursday:footy training
friday: rest
saturday: game day

Okay. I'm going to ask what your food intake is like? are you getting enough calories and protein?

If not try drinking 2L of milk a day and see what happens. if so try dividing your workouts into an upper and lower body day:

Workout A
3x5 Bench
3x5 Overhead press
5x3 Power clean

Workout B
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift
*ab work*

You are training twice in 3 days then having a 4 day lay off. You are probably getting doms which is why you are sore. You need your workout days to be more even so you have less chance of DOMS occurring all the time. Also increase your food intake as it sounds like you can not recover from all this exercise properly.

You are attempting to increase your maximal force production which is important in increasing your ability to produce power when you run and jump which will increase the amount of push off you have which will make you faster. Lifting does not make you slower, unless you are training super slow reps and training like a some bodybuilders do.

It really sounds like a recovery issue you may also be thinking you are slower due to DOMS when in reality it is just the stiffness you are feeling that is giving you that perception.

Are you lifting weights to be a better footballer, or are you lifting weights to get stronger?

hey guys, ive been doing a program similar to rippetoes for about 3 or 4 months. i play aussie rules footy and pre season i was fit and pretty fast, i have foty training twice a week, since ive been lifting weights solidly (3x a week) a feel like ive gotten slower and less fit and my legs are generally sore everyday. could getting slower be related to lifting heavy weights or another reason?

Less is more.

Just play footy and train your skills.

Lift weights in the off season.

Weight training is for biulding strength not wearing you out, which it will if you try to do both.
Recovery comes from the same source.
Posted via Mobile Device

I recently went through the same problem and I was told to pick one or the other otherwise both will suffer. I love weights training to much to have my finger dislocated playing football again or not be able to hit a pb on the squat rack due to hill sprints the day before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Football game, training, weights, work, family, life... Eats into recovery ability. A pro can do it as they have no work and football is their life, plus they have access to better recovery methods. Either emulate them or compromise on both. I use to play basketball every week but I had no training besides what I added myself and I could easily adjust that if need be.

You dont have to choose one over the other, but if your lifting weights to be a better footballer, you cant just pick a one size fits all routine off the net and think it will help.

As the OP has stated, he feels slower and less fit.

Sportsman need to train specific for their sport, or use exercises that make them a better athlete. This has obviously been my number one passion as its close to home.

You weight train to be stronger, reduce the risk of injury.
You practice football drills to improve skill.

It's quite simple.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you put on weight?
yes, ive put on five kilos.

my diet is good, i eat get alot of protein and enough calories, i guess im lifting weights to get stronger but i want to get stronger to help me with football so you could say im doing it for two reasons. could some maybe suggest a program for me?

You dont have to choose one over the other, but if your lifting weights to be a better footballer, you cant just pick a one size fits all routine off the net and think it will help.

Second this. Starting strength would have been fine if you were just getting into weights in your offseason to get your strength up to an adequate level before starting a more sports orientated training program. In season it's not such a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes, ive put on five kilos.

my diet is good, i eat get alot of protein and enough calories, i guess im lifting weights to get stronger but i want to get stronger to help me with football so you could say im doing it for two reasons. could some maybe suggest a program for me?

Outline your template you are following now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Outline your template you are following now.
Posted via Mobile Device
diet?

7:00am - whole grain muffin cut into two slices, half a tin of tuna on each slices and 1 egg on each slice. (32g protein,25g carbs,20g fat)

10:am - 1 tuna and low fat cheese sandwich, (18g protein,30g carbs,10g fat)
1 apple

12:30pm - same as above

2:30pm (if pre workout) 30g oatmeal. (4:30pm post workout shake (BSC NitroVol)

3:00pm (before footy training) 30g oatmeal and 1 banana.

6:30pm. either chicken and vegetables or beef mince and pasta (usually some kind of meat and vegies or pasta)

9:00pm low fat yoghurt or 1 scoop of BSC Mass Monster in low fat milk.

diet?

7:00am - whole grain muffin cut into two slices, half a tin of tuna on each slices and 1 egg on each slice. (32g protein,25g carbs,20g fat)

10:am - 1 tuna and low fat cheese sandwich, (18g protein,30g carbs,10g fat)
1 apple

12:30pm - same as above

2:30pm (if pre workout) 30g oatmeal. (4:30pm post workout shake (BSC NitroVol)

3:00pm (before footy training) 30g oatmeal and 1 banana.

6:30pm. either chicken and vegetables or beef mince and pasta (usually some kind of meat and vegies or pasta)

9:00pm low fat yoghurt or 1 scoop of BSC Mass Monster in low fat milk.

No, your workout.

sunday:rest
monday:workout A
tuesday:footy training
wednesday: workout B
thursday:footy training
friday: rest
saturday: game day

your body is trying to tell you something.

If your skills and fitness levels are good then you should consider incorporating weights into you training.

Off season is when you go balls to the wall biulding strength.

In season your focus on weights should change, in that your template be designed as a means to prevent injury on the field.
Posted via Mobile Device