• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with Recovering from Glandular Fever

C

Chops

[FONT=&quot]Hey guys,
Beginning of the year I was a lean, pumped up 74kg, being a shorty I was pretty happy with where I was at. But after having the fight of my life with glandular fever over the past 6 weeks, im all but a 60kg shadow, most of the weight being lost in the last 2 weeks after not being able to eat or talk from tonsillitis.

At this time of year I would usually be strength training and eating clean, and alot of it. But this time im not so sure.

So what im wondering is what would be the best way to get back on track?
Would eating everything and anything be my best bet atm?

And also, is Muscle Memory a myth? :)[/FONT]

For starters dont do any exercise... Rest is what you need..

Eat clean.

You dim-plus and milk thistle will be good to support your liver during this time.

Also vegetable juices and alot of vitmain c.

The term muscle memory is a myth, the actual process is not. You still have the neural connection in your brain that have been created due to strength training. So even though your muscles have decreased (plus some other changes) the neural connections are still there. Once you train again they are activated and everything comes back faster than when having to create the neural connections in the first place. So its neural connections not 'muscle memory'.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Not doing any exercise and looking at the skeleton in the mirror is a hard thing to do :) But ill use this time to get my eating habits down tight. At the moment I don’t feel tired till late afternoons and if I have been a bit active. At what stage should I think about picking up some weights again? I’m hoping to take full advantage of these neural connections. Once established are they always there or given a long enough time frame they begin to disappear also?

Ill jump onto the liver support supps plus something for the immune system, the last thing I need atm is any secondary illness.

Thanks again guys
much appreciated!

I believe there is a time limit if they are not used enough (if you workout for a year then have two off etc they will stay with you but if you work out for 2 years when you are 20 by the time you are 45 they will be gone or majorly reduced). But I am not a neuroscientist so I can not give you a complete answer on the subject besides the basics. In your case you are fine. Just remember though the more you lift (frequently and consistently) the longer these synapses in your brain will stay will you as they are considered more essential to your daily function.

Also in terms of recovery your body can recover from training and illness but it is then reducing the recovery for both. So if you start training now you will most likely have a MUCH longer recovery time to get back to the former you. I would consult your GP on when they think you are ready to reintroduce exercise and then slowly get back into it. You sound like you have had it pretty badly (15kg loss in 6 weeks is bad) so getting into it slowly and only when you are deemed ready by your GP would be the smartest thing to do.

Last edited:
I'm recovering from the same thing. If I don't get my eight hours sleep at the moment I get sick. Inhave no will to be active at all. I'm doing the gym 3 times a week but very limited cardio as it just seems too much. I've been told it can take a year to recover fully from the virus and it's been 6 months for me from what my blood test said.

Sleep, eat clean, vit c, olive leaf extract, water and patients.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the insight Dave, it helps knowing I haven’t got a ticking clock over my head. Having an active job as an Electrician my GP has suggested another week before I begin back at work, and a month before I can climb ladders and things due to an enlarged spleen that comes with having Glandular Fever so im guessing roughly around the same time.

Gaucheharbor, im the same way, I have been sleeping 10 hrs a night, plus naps here and there and still feel weak at times. It’s a bastard of a virus, there were 4 or 5 days when I was at my worst where I couldn’t eat, drink or sleep for longer than 10mins because of choking on my own tonsils. I was also warned about a post viral fatigue syndrome similar to chronic fatigue syndrome. Want to stay clear of that.

Thanks for the insight Dave, it helps knowing I haven’t got a ticking clock over my head. Having an active job as an Electrician my GP has suggested another week before I begin back at work, and a month before I can climb ladders and things due to an enlarged spleen that comes with having Glandular Fever so im guessing roughly around the same time.

Gaucheharbor, im the same way, I have been sleeping 10 hrs a night, plus naps here and there and still feel weak at times. It’s a bastard of a virus, there were 4 or 5 days when I was at my worst where I couldn’t eat, drink or sleep for longer than 10mins because of choking on my own tonsils. I was also warned about a post viral fatigue syndrome similar to chronic fatigue syndrome. Want to stay clear of that.

Only positive thing that will come of this is you will look after yourself better Due to this fact.

Epstein-BarrTwo Epstein-Barr virionsVirus classificationGroup:Group I (dsDNA)Family:Herpesviridae
Subfamily:Gammaherpesvirinae
Genus:Lymphocryptovirus
Species:Human herpesvirus 4 (HHV-4)

The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), also called human herpesvirus 4 (HHV-4), is a cancer-causing virus of the herpes family, which includes herpes simplex virus 1 and 2, and is one of the most common viruses in humans. Epstein-Barr virus occurs worldwide and causes infectious mononucleosis (glandular fever).

Yes it is not the best thing to of had, you risk of cancer has icnreased but now you can do things to avoid this..