• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training with no equip

mike367

Hi all, I wish to pick your brains :)

I normally train at home with free weights, however, I now find myself with limited acess to that equipment. So I'd like some tips on keeping in shape without the use of weights. It could be months before I can get back into regular training. My diet will be iffy too, damn it. Not a happy camper!

I know I can do push up's, sit up's, dip's and chin up's oh and not forgetting burpees. What else???

Have any of you been is a similar situation? If so what did you do?

Cheers,
Mike.

Hi all, I wish to pick your brains :)

I normally train at home with free weights, however, I now find myself with limited acess to that equipment. So I'd like some tips on keeping in shape without the use of weights. It could be months before I can get back into regular training. My diet will be iffy too, damn it. Not a happy camper!

I know I can do push up's, sit up's, dip's and chin up's oh and not forgetting burpees. What else???

Have any of you been is a similar situation? If so what did you do?

Cheers,
Mike.

Some PCYs have gyms for 8 bucks a week...

Squats with a backpack, kids, wife on your shoulders. :D Push the car around a carpark, make a sled, make some kettlebells from concrete or something, grab an old truck tyre (you will find one for free) and rope and do pulling work, flipping, the axe movements and such with a sledgehammer are killer too. Someone posted a video of such a workout not long ago on here somewhere.

Any reason why your diet will suffer?

If you can set up some rings somewhere, you can do pretty much all upper body with them, so many exercise variations.

Mike, gymnasts don't do weights at all unless they're injured and everyone knows (and sees) that they have amazing bodies. Sure, their legs are not what you call big yet they are still defined. The reason is they mainly use their upper body to lift their whole body through space.

Building the ultimate muscle machine: move your body through space. Program #1.

Now if you feel that your own bodyweight is not enough to do the job, then borrow one of your sons and get the job done. Think soldier days again Mike. Man, we're the ones who should be asking you and brother Kyle about these things and not the other way around !

Take care now my friend.

PS: For legs, a milk crate with a board on top and a loaded backpack on your back for some seriously intense step ups!

Fadi.

You could try for some cheap second hand barbell/dumbell sets on Ebay to do some rows and/or shoulder presses with.
Pushup handles dont add that much more resistance but let you go down deeper and engage more of your back. The "L Sit" is a pretty hard exercise for your midsection, that doesn't take any equipment. If you have the balance, handstand pushups against a wall will work your shoulders fairly well. (just remember to constantly push your back to the wall right from the beginning) Reverse pushups from the bridge position are good too. Grab a chair (or 2) and you can do bodyweight dips with feet on the floor or on another chair. Dave suggested 1 legged squats (pistols) These are a killer bodyweight exercise- however these can very hard without good flexibility and balance so while using a table or something to help balance will make it easier until you build up, they will still be more useful than body weight lunges or squats. To get a good burn you could try frog jumps. Make em even harder by holding a broom over your shoulders. Wont add resistance, but makes you use more legs rather than swinging your arms for momentum

With pushup variations here are a few:

- Incline with feet on chair, milkcrate, or a few steps up some stairs and hands on the floor.
- Elevated pushups (not sure if this is the correct name) But 3 or 4 raised platforms such as chairs and/or back varandah if applicable will do. One hand on each chair, and your feet on the other(s). One chair for each hand and foot makes it a little more difficult. Not as easy as it sounds.
- Hindu, divebomber and spiderman pushups
- Tricep Pushups (hands under your body, elbows rub past ribs to work arms more than chest)

And as already suggested, a backpack with some weights or a kid on your shoulder will add for more resistance.

I dragged on a bit, but hopefully something here will help.

Thanks for all the replys.

I guess I should have explained why I have limited excess to my gym equip.
Well I am now seperated, my ex has decided she wants to use "our" equip. So it stays where it is, I can go to use it, but all I want to do when I visit is spend time with my kids.

So for now I'm doing circuits and bodyweight exercises.

Mike.

[YOUTUBE]MLBAbqEZIeU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TWvIu7s-vIM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZslnSxzhJkg&feature=fvsr[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UiNRfGX3c3g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Y9hS0nanOJk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2nd video guy is pretty damn good at pistols, but really balancing on a kettlebell is useless but a neat trick.