• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A crash course on how to prep for WA Open... in 38 hours!

amac38

Hey,

So i took Markos' and dancelot's advice in competing at the CAPO WA Meet this Sunday, 30th May 2010. That's in about 38 hours!!!

I just got off the phone with Henry, he said it's cool, I can lift.

Problem is, I'm not prepared...

On my bathroom scales, I'm about 83kg right now, I've been eating like a pig the last few weeks as I was pretty sure I wasn't lifting at this meet.

I haven't squatted since Tuesday (very light session), benched since Wed or deadlifted since last Saturday (high volume).

My best lifts are:

SQ: 160kg
BP: 87.5kg (not paused)
DL: 155kg

These PBs were set a few weeks ago, since then, I've been on the first few weeks of the PPP which are high volume weeks. I wonder what my strength is like nowadays :D

So I've a few questions:

1. What do I eat and drink from now till weight-in 10am to make sure I fall under the 82.5kg class? When should I weight in, Saturday 10-11 am or Sunday 9:30-10:30am? Sauna or what? No showers yea? I'll find Markos' post about preparation and give it a good read.

2. What weights should I open with?

3. Should I lift anything tomorrow?

3. Anything specific you'd recommend? I'm gonna try and sleep very well tonight and Saturday night, I'm gonna need every muscle i have.

Man, I'm kinda nervous already! :eek:

EDIT:
okay, what i wrote above made it sound like i was wayyy to serious to lift big. but honestly, its all nerves! im so unsure.

at the end of the day, i'd be happy to set a total of anything. it gives me something to build from. best case scenario is that I'm invited to Nationals, (hopefully) my folks agree, and I'm able to meet everyone in Melb. but hey, let's take care of this meet first!

Last edited:
macmad on here is a seasoned lifter from Perth, he could really help.

Best advice is enjoy the day, its your first comp, dont sweat. If you want to make the 82.5kg class, stop eating now, have a sauna in the morning before the weigh in, no shower till after the weigh in, start drinking a 50/50 mix of water and Gatorade when you step off the scales.

Try and hit your opener in the warm up area if your unsure, you dont want to bomb out, select easy openers, have a big crack on 3rd attempts.

Good on you for doing it Alvin, I'm impressed.

Good on you mate! 83 down to under 82.5 should be easy, listen to Markos.

Don't worry too much. This is all about getting the experience and knowing how to deal with the nerves & logistics. I haven't competed in lifting but I have done so in other sports and as one of my trainers used to say, "the first one's free". It'll be invaluable for you when you go next year to lift some serious kilos.

To be honest forget about your bodyweight. Your not going to be setting records so just enjoy the day and get a feel for the event.

Just worry about the weight on the bar and talk as many old guys as you can find. All the old ex lifters hanging around are a wealth of knowledge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nick makes a very good point, just lift you are going for the experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

another bit of advice, that Markos gave us PTC guys, is to stay warm between ur attempts. By that, i don't mean keep doing warm up sets, just rug up. Keep ur jumper and trackies on between attempts, as u may have to wait a while before u lift again.

BTW good luck.

thank you very much for all your help, all this advice is making me a little bit less nervous now. thanks to all :)

so i weighed in at 81kg, i had breakfast and ate normally, so i'm happy with that.

i realise this is my first meet, i'll try to make the most of the day and just enjoy the experience.

okay, so i've got this burning question ive always wanted to ask. a few people have given me some tips so i'll try to put them into practice tomorrow.

its RE: my deadlift technique. just saw some vids on PTC frankston's channel on youtube, everyone makes the deadlift look so easy and natural...

any comments on my technique are most appreciated. i also need to use my legs more, how though?

[YOUTUBE]rBx7FhnsdeA[/YOUTUBE]

Some tips i've got are:

- As for conventional deadlifting, I find the cue 'push your feet through the floor' really helps me put my legs into the lift. You should be aiming to put your footprint in the floor beneath you.

- There are ways to get your glutes & hammies to be more involved in a DL. Stick your butt a little lower but further back, squeeze your glutes, don't bring your chest up & change the back angle too early (because it kills the tension you've built up in the hammies). Take a deep breath for a gutful of air, tense up your entire body, squeeze the bar as if you're gonna break it in halves, then rip it.

thanks for everyone's help.

your technique looks alright, your shoulders maybe a lil too far forwards though, they should be behind the bar. Other pointers i can give u r:

- feet should be hip width and heels as close to the bar as you can

- don't sit in the start position for too long. You have about 3-4secs before you lose the energy you get from the stretch/shortening reflex. I like to set my GRIP first before i DIP into position and then RIP the bar up.

- Make sure your ass isn't too low or else you'll be squatting the weight. Ass too high and you'll be stiff legging it.

- before you pull get a big belly full of air and the pull the bar a FAST as you can

- Push through your heels

- pull back and not up, use you bodyweight to help you, like if your falling backwards

- Keep pulling and squeeze you glutes at the top

Hope that helps.

Alvin, I spoke to Dan earlier, he tells me there are quite a few lifting. I thought CAPO was well behind PA in WA, can you let me know how many lifters. Looking at the PA website, they had 5 lifters at this years WA Open.

Dan and Paulie are the twins, weighed in at 77.2kg and 83.9kg, go up and say hello.

I was only asking big fella because I remember you saying there was basically no CAPO in WA, which was why you joined PA, no malice intended.

Oh, and I have lots of friends in PA, they even stay at my house when in Melbourne, dont try and spread shit, it was only 1 man that all the vitriol was aimed at, not the lifters, I was defending them.

And seeing how your having a dig at payed up members, I noticed that at WA Open, 5 lifters, 3 of them were refs. Did you have to jump off stage to ref.

Your only on here to defend PA's honor. PA are cool, as are its lifters, but maybe not there leader.

I asked an innocent question, but youve still got that chip big fella.

Back on topic, let us know how you go Alvin.

It appears that earlier on CAPO was really struggling, I know they only had 12 registered lifters in Victoria in 2009.

I hope both Feds can grow, the more people lifting, the better for everyone.

I think its inevitable that PA will introduce Raw lifting.

I think its inevitable that PA will introduce Raw lifting.

Wouldn't that be up to IPF, not PA?

I've read that in 2009, they were considering introducing Raw (with hope of getting in the Olympics), but nothing has come out of it.

I still don't get why powerlifting isn't in the Olympics and subjective crap like synchronised diving or the whole bunch of random shit in the Winter Olympics are.

Because there are too many federations.

Wieghtlifting is governed by one body, IWF.

I spoke at length about this in a newsletter. Unfortunately it will never happen now.

23 lifters competed, just waiting for the Chipmunk to post his lifts, the other 2 boys from ns.com managed a 405kg and 410kg total in the raw section, weighing 77kg and 83kg.